• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Post-Match Thread and Ratings Oxford United 3, Southend United 3 (Southend win 5-3 on penalties)

Evening Echo

The News
SOUTHEND United are just one round away from playing at Wembley after winning a dramatic Johnstone’s Paint Trophy area semi-final on penalties at Oxford United last night.

More...

We started very brightly and probably deserved to go one nil up, but we fell away hugely following their equaliser and it was a relief to hear the half time whistle.

As is becoming usual, we came out firing in the second half and two great finishes deservedly put us ahead. Hurst switching into the middle made a big difference as we were losing the midfield battle prior to half time.

Their equaliser was scrappy and overall we probably deserved to go through. Very cool heads for the penalties. Superb. I don't think Smith could quite believe it when he saw Bentley waiting to come on and I hear he stormed down the tunnel. We got the win, but you feel Sturrock should have managed the situation better.

A deserved victory.

Just saw the goals, looked like a cracking match. Great finishes by Corr (both goals) and Clohessy's cheeky poke. Their lob didn't look clearly over the line, it definitely was close. Thought there was some sloppy marking in the box and not following up. I could barely understand Luggy's interview but he said he could understand why Smith was annoyed and he should have told him, but also that he should see the bigger picture.

weather smith liked sturrock subing him or not .It did not give him the right to give poor Bentley the cold shoulder and not shake his hand . His beef is with the manager not the sub keeper .I hope he was big enough to appologise to young Dan .After all he isnt a fans favourt is he .Maybe paul sturrock should have said if this goes to pens he maybe pulled of .But he is the boss and what he says goes .

wow!Just recovering from that last night,Barry Corr and Sean Clohessey were absolutely immense.That cheating lineo tried his best to rob us twice.Well done lads !!!!

Great win, Smith not a happy man, but he is part of a eleven man team, that get subtituted at times during a game and have to take it on the chin, why should he be any different.

was a really enjoyable game , the bad thing for me is yet again refs and linos are making such bad decisions its just ruining football for me. I and people around me were 100% sure the ball never crossed the line for their 2nd, how did anyone who was there see it?

was a really enjoyable game , the bad thing for me is yet again refs and linos are making such bad decisions its just ruining football for me. I and people around me were 100% sure the ball never crossed the line for their 2nd, how did anyone who was there see it?

Never looked like it went over the line to me. Also an offside against Tomlin second half was at least a yard on, I was dead level with him when the ball was released. Been some very poor officials this season.

weather smith liked sturrock subing him or not .It did not give him the right to give poor Bentley the cold shoulder and not shake his hand .

Not picking on you personally, but I'm amazed at the lack of understanding and tolerance for Smith in this. I understand, support and even applaud Luggy's decision to swap him for Bentley but, whichever way you look at it, it would have been pretty humiliating for the keeper. It was clear from his body language at the time that he wasn't expecting it and he was shocked by the decision. With the Oxford fans behind him telling him 'you're **** and you know you are' and the knowledge that many of the Southend faithful aren't fully behind him, you could definitely see he was in a pretty dark place as he left the pitch and went down the tunnel.

Should he be bigger than that? Yes.
Should he have wished Bentley well? Yes.
Should he have sat straight on the bench to see what happened? Yes.

But he's a human being dealing with a humiliation in front of thousands of people. Time we cut our players some slack, stopped judging them with perfect standards, and concentrated on supporting them.

Otherwise, what a great game with quality, committed football from both sides for the most part.

Amazing how the form is moving around our goalscorers - first Britt is on fire, then Tomlin picks up the reigns, and now it seems to be BBBC. Makes me even more convinced that Freddy still has a part to play in the overall story this season.

What was really apparent last night was how strong the bonds are in this team. The shared goal celebrations and support from the players for each other during/after the penalties was a joy to behold, as was the affinity with the away support at the end of the game. We've got great individuals right throughout the spine, but Luggy's built a real TEAM here and it's clear they want to work together. Up to the big man now to bring Smithy back into that unified team spirit, but I'm sure he'll take care of it.

On the goal/no goal, I was shocked as it just didn't appear to have crossed the line. That said, I always look to the players for confirmation and there were only muted protests. One of those occasions where the whole team might have easily lost its cool and surrounded the ref/lino if they'd felt genuinely robbed. In hindsight, it just added to the drama on what was a cracking evening!

Yes agree with most of what you said SBH .But the matter is smith is a squad player .And yes it must hurt hearing the home fans taunting your name when subbed .But come on Smith should be man enough to take the taunts .How many keepers have been taunted by our home fans at the hall for this that and another plenty .Satadays is another game and Smith will probably be first choose again . All that it needs is for luggy and smith to sit and talk this out .

Yes agree with most of what you said SBH .But the matter is smith is a squad player .And yes it must hurt hearing the home fans taunting your name when subbed .But come on Smith should be man enough to take the taunts .How many keepers have been taunted by our home fans at the hall for this that and another plenty .Satadays is another game and Smith will probably be first choose again . All that it needs is for luggy and smith to sit and talk this out .

Agreed that they need to sort it out and I think they will.

Point I'm making is not really about the taunts - they're just a tiny part in the overall mix. Smith will know that he didn't behave impeccably. My question is: how many of us have behaved impeccably when we're humiliated, confused, frustrated, angry, and genuinely upset about something? Throw 3,000 people into the mix to watch your humiliation and see how that might then become magnified.

I just wish fans would see both sides before jumping to immediate judgments/condemnations of players. Being honest, I think I'd have behaved the same way as Smith. I'd certainly have regretted it afterwards and wanted to turn the clock back. But then, I'd also still be feeling pretty confused, frustrated angry and upset. Moments in life are never simply black and white.

What a night!!!

Complete roller coaster of emotions, with the 300+ fans experiencing every emotion a fan can feel in 90 mins of football. Superb start, wanted the ball more, worked harder and created good chances with the goal coming. At that point, I was ecstatic and thought we would roll them over comfortably. Unfortunately the goal woke Oxford up and the equalizer came and the hard work we were doing dropped, we were second to most, we would barely challenged a second ball and I thought we lacked shape. If not for Smith, fixture would have been dead and buried at half time. Yes the second was dubious but at the time, nothing less than we deserved. Was it a goal? Didn't look like it from my angle but the players lack of reaction suggested there might be a case. At this emotions turned to complete frustration and I couldn't see a route back. Defensively we were all over the place at this point, we had no grip on the game in midfield and when we did get the ball we treated it like a hot potato.

But then half time came, we switched to 352 and I have to say I think the first 20 mins of the second half was some of the best football I have seen us play since the league 1 title season. We were first to every ball, work rate was sensational, defence reading every play perfectly and credit to Woodyard who sat a protected the back 3 superbly. How we still have Clohessy is a miracle, his work rate is unbelievable and his delivery for Tomlins effort against the ball was top draw. Emotions at that point were on cloud 9!!

Oxford then, predictably threw everything at us, I felt we got tired. Felt we should have introduced fresh legs earlier as it was clear we had some tired legs out there.Emotions switched to nerves and then the equaliser came.

The Smith/Bentley sub is a funny one. I understand Smith's frustration but also felt perhaps Bentley shoudl have started seeing as he got us there. End of the day it was the right decision and the rest is history. Nervy penalties, thought the keeper on another night might have kept 3 of them out but who cares, great celebrations at the end and the response from the players was a joy to see. They wanted it as a team so much.

Great night out.......especially for a tenner!!!

Hats off to Sturrock for putting on Bentley at the end. He is much better at getting down low quickly than Smith so ideal for pens. Good management.

I think a lot are overreacting far too much to Smiths disappointment. Its no big deal. I prefer to see the players want to be on the pitch. I'm sure it was all sorted out v quickly after the game.

If BP Blue is referring to Dan's earlier penalty saves when he says he got us there, I think it was in the FA Cup against Bury that Dan distinguished himself. Thanks BPB for the report. Sounds like a wonderful evening. Lots of big games coming thick and fast now.

Anywhere I can see the goals?

Saw the penalties on youtube mind. So lucky on two of them.

Amazing we got through considering the lineo's efforts. Their second never crossed the line, Tomlin was yards onside and he even encouraged their throw-ins to be taken further and further up the pitch. Great effort boys!

there all pros water under the bridge now smith reacted bad but majority of US would do the same

Back