• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Breaking News Patrik Gunnarsson signs on a week long emergency loan

Agreed, had a couple of good games but really fell away. No better than Bishop was imo.

I agree that Ted and Bish were a similar standard - I think therefore it made sense to keep one, not both, given that we also had Seaden and Taylor coming through too. The difference was that Ted was out of contract at the end of last season so we just didn't renew.

Now Bishop has gone, we need a decent enough no.2 keeper which is what Ted is - he's been training with us since he left so it's a no brainer to give him his old job back now it's vacant again.

I agree that Ted and Bish were a similar standard - I think therefore it made sense to keep one, not both, given that we also had Seaden and Taylor coming through too. The difference was that Ted was out of contract at the end of last season so we just didn't renew.

Now Bishop has gone, we need a decent enough no.2 keeper which is what Ted is - he's been training with us since he left so it's a no brainer to give him his old job back now it's vacant again.
Don’t want to appear negative but seem to remember Ted unfortunately was injury prone

I am happy with the decision to bring in a goalkeeper. I probably disagree with some, but playing Nathan Bishop week in week out, didn't do him any favours. Sol had to take him out of the firing line. Yes, I know he has now gone to Manchester Utd and he will improve, but he wasn't a Number 1 keeper.

Sol clearly doesn't think the young keepers are ready. We shouldn't have a problem with that judgement. Unless Ted has improved, then he isn't a number 1 either, only time will tell.

Seaden comes out and claims that cross - he gets the gig.
Seaden misses it by a mile and Blues lose 1-0.
That's football.
Sol can't play our lad simply because he's 'learning'. He has to play the best available team, and if that means the Bees boy, then fine with me.

When Harry failed to be strong in his box and we went a goal down, you could see he was kicking himself, he knew he shouldve claimed that ball with force, tell by his reaction.
He did remedy that costly mistake not long after when he came out and got stuck in, almost identical. I thought well done, learned from his mistake and good to see. Harry has it in him from what i saw to be a damned good keeper.
I think Sol should keep on giving these kids the experience they need, this season is over points wise.
Hey ho.

When Harry failed to be strong in his box and we went a goal down, you could see he was kicking himself, he knew he shouldve claimed that ball with force, tell by his reaction.
He did remedy that costly mistake not long after when he came out and got stuck in, almost identical. I thought well done, learned from his mistake and good to see. Harry has it in him from what i saw to be a damned good keeper.
I think Sol should keep on giving these kids the experience they need, this season is over points wise.
Hey ho.

Completely agree. And you know that I know a thing or two about goalkeeping.

Gunnarsson was at Brentford when both Bentley and Daniels were there, interesting.

Don’t want to appear negative but seem to remember Ted unfortunately was injury prone
.....and not very good. Never had or will have the build to be a goalkeeper....had his chance , no thanks

List of Southend keepers that have been criticised in the last week

Oxley
Ted
Bishop
Seaden
Taylor
New loanee by 15:15 today.

List of Southend keepers that have been criticised in the last week

Oxley
Ted
Bishop
Seaden
Taylor
New loanee by 15:15 today.

Can we add Mark Prudhoe to that list? the first half performance away at Barnet still keeps me awake 20 years later

Hey ho.
At what price?
I'm not totally sold on the idea it's giving all of them the 'experience' they need.
Getting beat week-in, week-out is having an effect on Elvis for a start. Note, the way he fell to his knees on Tuesday's final whistle.
What's Egbri learning? That he's getting outmuscled time and time again? Mitchell-Nelson is learning how hard it is to be a League One defender, and poor Richard Taylor was trialling for Woking the other week.
In football, it really is sink or swim.
Clifford and Kelman are into their stroke, but still have a way to go before they touch the other end.
I agree Seaden might yet have a pro football career - but based on Tuesday night - not right now.
Sol is playing them because he has to - not out of choice.

At what price?
I'm not totally sold on the idea it's giving all of them the 'experience' they need.
Getting beat week-in, week-out is having an effect on Elvis for a start. Note, the way he fell to his knees on Tuesday's final whistle.
What's Egbri learning? That he's getting outmuscled time and time again? Mitchell-Nelson is learning how hard it is to be a League One defender, and poor Richard Taylor was trialling for Woking the other week.
In football, it really is sink or swim.
Clifford and Kelman are into their stroke, but still have a way to go before they touch the other end.
I agree Seaden might yet have a pro football career - but based on Tuesday night - not right now.
Sol is playing them because he has to - not out of choice.
They’re learning what it takes to play at this level. I don’t think any of them have looked massively out of place, which considering their age and experience is amazing. I bet if you asked them their opinion, they’d want to be started every week. As it goes, we might need to start only a couple of them today. Elvis sank to his knees because he cares .. lest we forget he got his head on that McLaughlin corner in what, the 96th min?? And look what it meant to him. So I don’t think it’s having a negative effect on him, more making him determined and toughening him up. If we hang on to Phillips, Kelman, Elvis, Mitchell-Nelson, Rush, Clifford and get a few experienced bodies in to help them in summer and have a proper pre-season, I’m personally pretty confident of our chances in league 2. This experience will be vital.

Seaden I think will be a decent keeper and how anyone can criticise the kid is beyond belief, given the circumstances.

They’re learning what it takes to play at this level. I don’t think any of them have looked massively out of place, which considering their age and experience is amazing. I bet if you asked them their opinion, they’d want to be started every week. As it goes, we might need to start only a couple of them today. Elvis sank to his knees because he cares .. lest we forget he got his head on that McLaughlin corner in what, the 96th min?? And look what it meant to him. So I don’t think it’s having a negative effect on him, more making him determined and toughening him up. If we hang on to Phillips, Kelman, Elvis, Mitchell-Nelson, Rush, Clifford and get a few experienced bodies in to help them in summer and have a proper pre-season, I’m personally pretty confident of our chances in league 2. This experience will be vital.

Seaden I think will be a decent keeper and how anyone can criticise the kid is beyond belief, given the circumstances.
His youth is as an excuse.
He did not have a 'good' game - and had that been Oxley, fans would have called for his head.
We're letting him off because the circumstance of been thrown in at the deep end demand it, not because he's making a couple of mistakes after a stellar career.
I think one is also confusing 'care' for effect. I have no doubt the yoof are giving it their all - only some of them are having an effect.

He did not have a 'good' game - and had that been Oxley, fans would have called for his head.
We're letting him off because the circumstance of been thrown in at the deep end demand it, not because he's making a couple of mistakes after a stellar career.
I think one is also confusing 'care' for effect. I have no doubt the yoof are giving it their all - only some of them are having an effect.
I’d argue they’ve given some of the senior players a boot up the a*se. Of all of them, Clifford has stepped up most but they’ll all have learnt from the games if only for some, knowing what they need to work on to reach that level.

He did not have a 'good' game
- and had that been Oxley, fans would have called for his head.

What nonsense. you are making a judgment on one incident. The rest of his game was fine.....No keeper, even the lads at the worlds top clubs aren't 'ready' when they are that age.....If he was he wouldn't be playing for us

Had he stayed on his line it would have still been powered in because we don't have a proper CB who can win an important header when it counts. Worse still Sol couldn't see what most of us in the stands all knew before we kicked off. Kyp will need replacing after 60 mins at the most.

If anyone takes the time to look at the pictures posted on here, it clearly shows how the ball dipped in the wind just in front him. Sure its a lesson to learn for him, not some howler to be ashamed of.

By they way Sol has dropped Kyp for today

Last edited:
What nonsense. you are making a judgment on one incident. The rest of his game was fine.....No keeper, even the lads at the worlds top clubs aren't 'ready' when they are that age.....If he was he wouldn't be playing for us

Had he stayed on his line it would have still been powered in because we don't have a proper CB who can win an important header when it counts. Worse still Sol couldn't see what most of us in the stands all knew before we kicked off. Kyp will need replacing after 60 mins at the most.

If anyone takes the time to look at the pictures posted on here, it clearly shows how the ball dipped in the wind just in front him. Sure its a lesson to learn for him, not some howler to be ashamed of.

By they way Sol has dropped Kyp for today
Agree about Kyp: his lack of fitness/pace allowed the cross in the first place.
Wasn't making a judgement on just that. There was a second cross that Seaden got also nowhere near in the second half after the goal, and for the most part he was protected.
But did he have a good game?
And you've actually endorsed what I said about his youth as an excuse: you said it yourself; no keeper at that age is ready.
But back to that 'one incident'. It cost us a point. Yeah, outfield players make mistakes and they are forgotten: that's the keeper's curse, and it goes with the territory.

Back