• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Southampton Shrimper

Team Eggheads
Does anyone know what happened to young Mr Byrne since he left us?

rock.gif

It's just that I was flicking through my new copy of the Sky Sports Football Yearbook, by the usually reliable Jack and Glenda Rollin, when I had a bit of a shock. Because, according to them, he never left, and he's still with us!! He's there in the list of Southend players, sandwiched between Tesfaye Bramble and Anthony Clark (who he?). Admittedly, he's not done much for us, as the book lists each player's appearances and goals on a season-by-season basis. So, season 1997-98, 10 appearances, 0 goals. Every season from 1998-99 to 2004-05 is then listed as 0 apps, 0 goals. I then checked the yearbook from the previous three seasons and there he was, just sitting in the list, not playing. With all that inactivity I daren't think how large he has become now!!

Has he really been kept on the books for the last seven seasons, making not one single appearance? I think we should be told!!

ghostface.gif

It's because we still hold his registration after a dispute over contracts; he actually left in May 1998. It technically means he can't play for any other club in the Football League in England, although there was some talk a couple of years ago of rescinding such restriction when Carlisle United wanted to sign him. Last heard of playing for Dundalk in Ireland ...

WS

PS - He's not that "young"!

One of my favourite players at Roots Hall at the time. After leaving the blues he went back to his native Ireland, playing for several clubs including Glenavon, Bohemians and St Patricks Athletic, winning the double with Bohemians in 2001
He is now managing the Dublin bus companies football team, Dublin Bus F.C

The talented, yet tubby and lazy, Irish midfield wizard is about to take over as Manager of Hemel Hempstead Town.

Nice quote from Byrne

"I want to strengthen the squad," said Byrne (pictured). "I want to make sure nobody becomes complacent before the end of the season. Everyone is going to be fighting for their shirt."

"They are going to be given a job to do for the club. If they don't want to play there, then they are not going to play at all.

"I have explained to the lads that we can either pick ourselves up and finish the season well, or lay down and die. And I'm not one for laying down and dying."

"Myself and Dave will sit down, and if it's good for the club and its good for me I will be looking forward to taking charge of the team for next season.

"I may not have much managerial experience, but I have played under managers including Liam Brady, Lou Macari and Ronnie Whelan.

"I know what the game's about. I've played in the European Cup and the UEFA Cup - I know what it takes to be a winner and what it takes to fight a relegation battle.

"I'm going to take what I have learned and transfer it to the lads at Hemel Hempstead Town

"I may not have much managerial experience, but I have played under managers including Liam Brady, Lou Macari and Ronnie Whelan.

Thats nothing to be proud of.........

Back