• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

some of the back passes he had to deal with yesterday were shocking, he did well to even connect to them!!! he is a very good shot-stopper, he could come off his line more but then each keeper has his own style and if it doesnt feel comfortable for him to come out that much then fine, the defence know where to stand, unlike under mildenhall who was incredibly erratic about which balls he would come for. Smith is our Number 1 and it should stay that way this year.

some of the back passes he had to deal with yesterday were shocking, he did well to even connect to them!!! he is a very good shot-stopper, he could come off his line more but then each keeper has his own style and if it doesnt feel comfortable for him to come out that much then fine, the defence know where to stand, unlike under mildenhall who was incredibly erratic about which balls he would come for. Smith is our Number 1 and it should stay that way this year.

Exactly. At league 1 and 2 level you are never going to get the perfect keeper. Samson and Royce were the best keepers I've seen in a Southend shirt, yet both had their faults.

He was once a regular starter at Champiosnhip level for a reason. Similarly, he has dropped down to our level for a reason. He clearly hasn't been doing recently what he was doing when he was Nottingham Forest's number one. I'm not going to lie, I'm not his biggest fan at this moment in time - he could come for crosses and loose balls more often, hold onto shots rather than parry when he doesn't need to, but what keeper at this level doesn't have faults, and what recent SUFC 'keeper hasn't had faults? As I said, not overly comfortable with hium myself but he was in the Champ for a reason and I have faith that he can better himself. Unfortunately in many respects, Mr. Smith is a confidence player, that is plain for me to see from the way he handles himself on the pitch, and his confidence at the moment is low. He is never going to regain the requisite confidence to get him back to the standard he was at as Forest's number one when he has small sections of SUFC's "die hards" shouting "You're **** aaaahhhhh" at him from directly behind in the North Bank. At a football match, you should support your team no matter what. I'm all for venting frustration and making negative opinions heard after the final whistle and on messageboards but even some of the stuff that I see posted on here goes over the top sometimes.

I am reading this whilst having a poo. And that sums up this thread.

Merry Xmas to all SUFC. Even the bell ends who keep looking for negatives.

People now slagging off Smith or any other player are an embarrassment !

12/13 games unbeaten and still absolute idiots are going public with abuse - joke !

Personally don't care about neg rep, or if I'm offending any "supporter" or forum favourite - but wow - for anyone too slag anyone off , on the pitch are in my eyes absolute knobs !!!

What gives you the right to criticise anyone at the moment of whom are part of a team effort that seen us go on such a run. You do not deserve a decent football team ! Mistakes are a plenty for any human being - but to use this as a form of criticism now -shame you !!

Nope I'm not rose tinted - but I'm appreciative if the all the squads efforts at the moment - from keeper to striker !!

What do people want ??

Wrote this drunk last night - awful grammar - but i stand 100% behind the sentiment.

To start with, I actually think Smith is ok, nothing more and nothing less, just ok. With his pedigree I was very excited to sign him, especially after the whole keeping fiasco over the summer. For me however, he has more faults than I expected when he signed but he also has made some vital saves what have won us additional points, most importantly he is our number one for the next 18 months so he gets my support.

Slightly off topic, what gets me the most on here though is the attacks and personal rants and name calling at fellow posters. Whether the anti-Smith brigade genuinely dislike him or they are just on a wind up, this is a football forum and people are entitled to their opinions. I would rather people moan on here than do it at a match. The people on here who are calling other posters, '********s', 'idiots' '****ish' etc is pathetic in itself and a bit too personal/rude, whats why the cyber gangs trying to shout and bark others off the forum. It's sad and a reason why many people I know now tend to stay away from the zone.

I think he's absolutely fine at this level. An excellent shop stopper but his kicking has frightened me at times. Possibly a concentration and timing issue which I hope is eradicated before too long with the right help. Still a worthy number 1

Smithy is an ok keeper who if given confidence by some idiot fans could become even better.

Serious question. Do we still have, or access to, a goalkeeping coach? Smith has a few bad habits which wont improve without a qualified players help. There were times last friday ( a match I was at, and not just listening to on the radio) that my heart was in my mouth when Smudge came out and cleared the ball. I have nothing against him at all, and loathe the name calling, but wonder if he gets enough constructive help during training.

I understand when he joined a massive factor for joining was to work with a good young up and coming keeper coach unsure if this is a fact tho

smith in our wining team so get of his back thats not what he needs, as it happens i rate bentley and i am sure his time will come

I can only assume the dissenters are kids. Having followed the blues for over 20 years, I can reel off a list of keepers who were far worse than this bloke. I also haven't seen a better keeper playing for an opposition team this season.
My mate is a season ticket holder at Old Trafford. Many fans there feel De Gea isn't up to the job, but they don't slag him off at games.

Saw Smith the other day at the station. I'm not small but he towered over me. He was with his family. Seemed like a nice bloke. I like him. Then I ate a pork pie. Some of the lights on the train weren't working.

*This post bought to you by the Rochdale Awayday Robot*

Saw Smith the other day at the station. I'm not small but he towered over me. He was with his family. Seemed like a nice bloke. I like him. Then I ate a pork pie. Some of the lights on the train weren't working.

*This post bought to you by the Rochdale Awayday Robot*
Can't be, far too many full stops and capital "I"s!

He is better than 9 out of ten keepers who we have played against this year.

Spot on. Did no one notice how bad the Chesterfield keeper was? Admittingly, he couldn't do anything about the goals but his alround play was terrible. Much prefer Smith here, whilst Bentley gets better and gets ready to eventually take over...

Another crap performance from the GK, another clean sheet, why is he becoming so boring! if he could let a few slip in them HOW much more exiting would a 3-2 win be instead of a 3-0?:winking:

Back