• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

99% of those who made the trip up on a Tuesday night despite recent results did the team proud, those who stay away because of recent results are more of an embarassment IMO. Dont tar us all with the same brush!!

Yes I was right by this 1 fan embarresed himself and the guy who grappled him was actually trying to calm him down nothing else which is exactly what happened and yes he left by his own accord. But this one fan is normally the backbone of our support what was wrong I ain't got a clue but us as a collective group certainly got behind the lads even at 2-0

I certainly didn't mean to offend anyone. It wasn't aimed at everyone who went on Tuesday - to make that trip is a very good effort.

I could only go by what I heard, and that 1 person, unfortunately, did make the club and us supporters as a whole look pretty pathetic on Tuesday.

I'm sorry to say, that as it most walks of life, the foolish act of the very small minority, makes the pleasant majority look bad.

What I said here was taken the wrong way, I applaud everyone else that made the trip on Tuesday. My apologies if it seemed this wasn't the case.

Ok, I might get shot down for this, and fair enough as we are all entitled to our opinions, but some of the negativity and comments on here in recents week has driven me up the wall.

Firstly, there are 10 games to go and we are in 7th place. I think the majority of us would have taken that at the start of the season. We are 10 points off of 3rd now, and that is disappointing considering where we were. However, let us take a look at this miserable run (after Hull City):

Daggers (A) 1-1 Draw - I never particularly have a problem with a draw away from home, and this was against a Daggers team on fire, who were taking points off of a lot of our rivals at that time at home and away. Verdict - A good result
Newport (H) 0-0 Draw - Average - bad conditions didn't help
Mansfield (A) 2-1 Loss - This was a very frustrating game. We didn't play well. The conditions were awful and we let in a couple of soft goals. Verdict - Frustrating day at the office.
Exeter (H) 3-2 Loss - A bit of a nightmare all round really. Verdict - Cr*p
Hartlepool (H) 1-1 Draw - We battered them. I will never know how we didn't win this game. Verdict - Very unlucky.
York (A) 0-0 Draw - Didn't we play ok here?
Northampton (A) 2-1 Loss - We were terrible. One of the worst away performances I've seen in a long time. Verdict - write it off, it happens. Just ask Man City and Wigan.
Wycombe (H) 1-1 Draw - A hugely unlucky equaliser for them. Verdict - Unlucky
Morcambe (A) 2-1 Loss
Scunthorpe (A) 2-2 Draw - A real game of 2 halves, but a great fight back, against a good side. Verdict - A point is a decent result.

Ok, so it's 9 games without a win, but we've only been beaten in 4 of those.
Could easily have been 2 home win from Hartlepool and Wycombe. That changes it to P9 W2 D3 L4 Pts 9
Ok, still not ideal, but taking into account 2 good away points, it could easily have been a lot better.

I didn't go last night, but from what I've heard our supporters embarrassed yourselves in the first half - do you think this is helping the players?

There has been so much talk of players losing it, no effort, don't care - what a load on rubbish that is?!

Yes, we have a small squad in areas, but we aren't Chelsea, we can't afford to have 50 players on our books. We are short in defence, and we've unfortunately had injuries there, but PB has brought in 4 quality looking players on loan, and been so unlucky with 2 getting injured on debut. Not his fault. We are short up top, and he brought Barnard in. OK, he hasn't set the world alight since coming back, but we were all very moist when he signed, and didn't expect this to happen.

There has also been talk of PB getting the sack - are you people serious? Do you really think that Bentley/Hurst/Leonard would have signed long contract without PB there? As a club we have lost players by not acting quickly enough in the past, something we have all moaned about. I've no doubt PB has been instrumental in getting the club to sort these out. Hardly the sign of a man constantly looking for a new job is it?

We've got 10 games left (nearly 1/4 of a season), and we still play 4 of those above us. It is still in our hands as to what happens, and we could still enter the playoffs in great form, but US as fans need to stop moaning, stop talking rubbish, and support the lads that play each week.

This isn't a great league, we all know that, which is why nobody has run away with promotion, there is still so much to play for.

Rant over.

UTB :loyalsupporter:

Recent weeks or years? Good post.

99% of those who made the trip up on a Tuesday night despite recent results did the team proud, those who stay away because of recent results are more of an embarassment IMO. Dont tar us all with the same brush!!

I didn't go to Scunthorpe on Tuesday because of recent results, how can I or anyone else who didn't go be an embarrassment?
We can't all be like Phil Cox!!

Yes I was right by this 1 fan embarresed himself and the guy who grappled him was actually trying to calm him down nothing else which is exactly what happened and yes he left by his own accord. But this one fan is normally the backbone of our support what was wrong I ain't got a clue but us as a collective group certainly got behind the lads even at 2-0

Errhh no. I think you are on a different planet to those around you. The fan that grappled with the large child (he certainly doesn't act like an adult) was as annoyed as the rest of us at the stupid, puerile and pathetic behaviour of the individual who made no attempt at supporting the team and had no idea of the effect of his conduct on others - which suggest the person is extremely immature, juvenile and lacking social skills and awareness.

I have also seen this one "fan" (as you call him) behaving like a moron at 3 away games this season - how you can call this the "backbone" of our support is beyond me. The real fans at the game certainly backed the team as best as they could for the whole game.

I would happily contribute to a fund that paid to keep this person from attending.

I am sure this post has not translated as you wished. Loyal fans are not defined by amount of away games attended or non attendance for performances. There is a group of people in life that are afforded the will and patience to follow thru thick and thin. There are others that would bleed blue if cut that take life decisions which interfere with following the blues.
i spent seven years of my youth never missing a game home or away (including the Italian trips) and then marriage and kids came along curtailing the away trips. A move abroad meant I only got to seven or eight home games a year for four years (driving from my home in Holland at five in the morning to get to the Hall in time)
Others are similar and are free to choose when they attend for their own personal reasons.Attending even when playing badly and visiting hideous away grounds mid week are noble and brave and I commend those that do it. Not everyone is in the position to do this and I do not miss the likes of Halifax or Carlisle away mid week but at the time I had a group of friends and it was our chosen lifestyle but we are all older now and have other priorities.
To put it in a nutshell I understand what you trying to say but age brings a perspective to life that means making decisions not just based on yourself but on others you are responsible for and when playing badly it is easy to not make that journey.
Again I state those who go thru thick and thin are an elite band of people and I applaud you but not going doesn't make a person any lesser a fan.

I am sure this post has not translated as you wished. Loyal fans are not defined by amount of away games attended or non attendance for performances. There is a group of people in life that are afforded the will and patience to follow thru thick and thin. There are others that would bleed blue if cut that take life decisions which interfere with following the blues.
i spent seven years of my youth never missing a game home or away (including the Italian trips) and then marriage and kids came along curtailing the away trips. A move abroad meant I only got to seven or eight home games a year for four years (driving from my home in Holland at five in the morning to get to the Hall in time)
Others are similar and are free to choose when they attend for their own personal reasons.Attending even when playing badly and visiting hideous away grounds mid week are noble and brave and I commend those that do it. Not everyone is in the position to do this and I do not miss the likes of Halifax or Carlisle away mid week but at the time I had a group of friends and it was our chosen lifestyle but we are all older now and have other priorities.
To put it in a nutshell I understand what you trying to say but age brings a perspective to life that means making decisions not just based on yourself but on others you are responsible for and when playing badly it is easy to not make that journey.
Again I state those who go thru thick and thin are an elite band of people and I applaud you but not going doesn't make a person any lesser a fan.

You are right, the post did not pan out as I wished... I was just a bit p#ss#ed off that those who did attend Tuesday were banded as an embaresment, due to the actions of ONE person (that has been cleared up now), of course people are entitled to choose to attend whatever games they wish, I attend as many as possible, also due to my job, but would never consider boycotting due to current performances, its at times like this the players need our support, as hard as that may be.
My apologies to anyone offended.

You are right, the post did not pan out as I wished... I was just a bit p#ss#ed off that those who did attend Tuesday were banded as an embaresment, due to the actions of ONE person (that has been cleared up now), of course people are entitled to choose to attend whatever games they wish, I attend as many as possible, also due to my job, but would never consider boycotting due to current performances, its at times like this the players need our support, as hard as that may be.

To taint the Collective with the actions of an individual is wrong and having not witnessed the incident first hand I cannot comment on the alleged infringement without being general. There are some people in life that didn't get the love they needed when young, others are just plain angry, some go thru life blissfully happy and content( Not normally supporting SUFC ) and some never grow up. Life is made of all the different types of people we have in this diverse world and the majority of football fans are sensible and understanding human beings who every now and then embarrass themselves by their actions. There are others who have a different psych and are more prone to such outbursts.
Ie, One potty mouthed fan does not make everyone else there an embarrassment !

Mate, I wasn't offended by your post and the opportunity for an explanation of what had happened was very welcome.
The points you, B Daz and Rat make are honestly help opinions & a club/group of supporters ought to accept them as such when they are made in an appropriate and reasoned way.
The abuse and rantings of the nameless and as yet unidentified ONE were not nice, helpful, inspirational or motivational.

Finally over my 40 yrs of following the club I have seen others behaving as the ONE did; and then years later I have seen & recognised that the same fan had "grown" and matured into a reasonable human being. I hope the ONE gets the help and support from his friends and the care his perhaps muddled and disquieted soul needs.

Mate, I wasn't offended by your post and the opportunity for an explanation of what had happened was very welcome.
The points you, B Daz and Rat make are honestly help opinions & a club/group of supporters ought to accept them as such when they are made in an appropriate and reasoned way.
The abuse and rantings of the nameless and as yet unidentified ONE were not nice, helpful, inspirational or motivational.

Finally over my 40 yrs of following the club I have seen others behaving as the ONE did; and then years later I have seen & recognised that the same fan had "grown" and matured into a reasonable human being. I hope the ONE gets the help and support from his friends and the care his perhaps muddled and disquieted soul needs.

So eloquently put. :smile:

To go further back, many at the start of the season were predicting a mid-table finish or even a relegation battle. Recent form is disappointing but I can't complain with what Brown has achieved this season. No reason we can't consolidate a play-off position.

To go further back, many at the start of the season were predicting a mid-table finish or even a relegation battle. Recent form is disappointing but I can't complain with what Brown has achieved this season. No reason we can't consolidate a play-off position.
Quite a few reasons why this might not happen!!!!!

Quoted from another thread

57 points from 43 games is Phil's return.

There's the perspective. The reality is PB offers us little that we didn't have before. I would argue that his circumstances and the opportunities given to him by RM are better than predecessors. We are a third tier club by history languishing in the 4th with ezcuses. I don't advocate the managerial roundabout but the only positive I can see with PB us getting some good youngsters to sign decent contracts

Quoted from another thread

There's the perspective. The reality is PB offers us little that we didn't have before. I would argue that his circumstances and the opportunities given to him by RM are better than predecessors. We are a third tier club by history languishing in the 4th with ezcuses. I don't advocate the managerial roundabout but the only positive I can see with PB us getting some good youngsters to sign decent contracts

History is changing. I used to think we were a 3rd tier club but when you add up how many times we have now been in the 4th tier, you have to say we are probably a 4th tier club.

I suppose if you look at the size of our stadium and average attendance against those in league one and two we probably would be in the top 24, therefore a league one teir club, but football doesn't work like that, if you did the same for prem and champ sides it would look very different. Ultimately you deserve to be where you are.

Back