• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Zone Update Peter Clarke Gone to Hudds

I've got to say I'm really sad to see him go, but the loyalty that he showed towards us is hard to come by and I wish him all the best in the future.

I for one, will be giving Peter a standing ovation when he returns to the hall next season.

A true gentleman, and I hope his wife's dad gets better soon.

I've got to say I'm really sad to see him go, but the loyalty that he showed towards us is hard to come by and I wish him all the best in the future.

I for one, will be giving Peter a standing ovation when he returns to the hall next season.

A true gentleman, and I hope his wife's dad gets better soon.

what loyalty? he saw out his contract and left.

what loyalty? he saw out his contract and left.

When he was transfer listed last season, it was pretty obvious the club saw his future away from RH. If the club aren't prepared to keep quality players at the club, then how is that Clarkey's fault? He's enjoyed his time here and played with 100% commitment for this club - even when placed on the transfer list.

Ron either needs to put up, or shut up with this war chest because at the moment I can't see any way of us getting out of League 1, especially if we keep on losing key players such as Clarkey.

Clarkey said he's leaving for other reasons other than money, but I'm sure money had a part to plan in it. He said he's leaving with a heavy heart and I have no doubt in my mind that he would have been more than happy to stay on if the circumstances off the pitch permitted it. Sadly they don't and Peter can't be blamed for that.

Anybody else seen this?

Extract from the Southend United Official Website, given as a quote from Peter Clarke.

It's been a very hard decision for me but I've been made an offer which I don't think I can turn down.

Extract from the Huddersfield Town AFC Website, give as a direct quote from Peter Clarke.

It has been quite an easy decision to make, given the ambition and enthusiasm of the Manager, the Chairman and the staff around the Club.

Thanks for the honesty, Clarkey!

Anybody else seen this?

Extract from the Southend United Official Website, given as a quote from Peter Clarke.

Extract from the Huddersfield Town AFC Website, give as a direct quote from Peter Clarke.

What do you expect?!?!

SUFC to say, "Yeah I'm off, easy decision, f*ck you all!!"

Then HTFC to say, "It was really hard to leave Southend, I loved it there..."

Peter Clarke - nice while it lasted....

Peter-Clarke-001.jpg

There has been meetings taking place between RM and Clarkey and ST and Clarkey. I think his mind was made up a long time ago, as was ours. We want him to stay on League One wages, which would mean a drop, but he wants Championship wages which is what his likely to get when he goes to Huddersfield.

I'd like Clarkey to come out and let people know what his intentions are. I'm not expecting a statement on the OS, or a piece in the Echo, but I'd like to think his told RM and ST where his future lies because the last thing we want is Clarkey taking an age to make his mind up and we miss out on players to replace him.

I'm 99% certain his leaving, and I hope the Club know more of the situation then we do.

I ask, I get.

A centre half to replace him next week please Tilly.

This was the worst kept secret around at Southend to be honest. Clarkey can sugarcoat it how he likes but he was always off.

Thanks for the latter part of last season, and the 10 goals, but I don't think he'll be missed as much as people are saying PROVIDING we replace him with a dominant centre half, and not an Adam Barrett clone like Clarkey was.

What do you expect?!?!

SUFC to say, "Its been a great time here, but all circumstances considered - there was only one option!"

Then HTFC to say, "Although I'm leaving Southend with a heavy heart, I'm looking forward to the new campaign and can't wait for pre-season"

Peter Clarke - nice while it lasted....

Peter-Clarke-001.jpg

No, but maybe that is more viable than just two statements entirely contradictuary!

not really a loss. for 2 and a half seasons he was average at best. only with dorian in the team did he really look any good. i am more sad dorian has gone. we may not see a defender of his calibre in a southend shirt for a long time.

If you honestly think that Clarkey going isn't a loss to the team then you haven't a clue!!!

Haha!
Watch the first goal up at Donny in the play-offs then ask yourself just one question : are you bleedin' sure mate:stunned:

Yeah, you're right mate...he's rubbish!!! See any of the games last season, did ya?!?! As I said, whatever you think of Clarkey, if you don't think he will be a loss to the team then you haven't got a clue!!

Agree, Welly, huge loss but hopefully Tilly can sign a dominant centre back (Alan Bennett would be a good signing) and a more cultured left back than AB. Have missed a good set piece taker since Hammel and Mulgrew.
People will look at the goals weve conceded and say Clarkey cant be that great but I think thats unfair. In the championship the whole team was out of their depth bar one or two, 07/08 first half of the season cost us when we had absolute sh*te up front, putting pressure on the defence and last season, well he was immense, even in games that we got beat.

Gutted to see Clarkey move on, met him several times and he is a top lad as well as great player.

While I'm really really disappointed to see him go, he was a 100%ter to the end and will give him the respect he deserves when he returns to the Hall next season.

Yeah, you're right mate...he's rubbish!!! See any of the games last season, did ya?!?! As I said, whatever you think of Clarkey, if you don't think he will be a loss to the team then you haven't got a clue!!

We can all quote from games when he has been at fault for goals, we can also find games when he was great.

Surely we have to see who is going to replace him play first, and what type of relationship they build with barrett (making an assumption, but a fair one at this stage) before we can say if we are going to miss him or not ?

We can all quote from games when he has been at fault for goals, we can also find games when he was great.

Surely we have to see who is going to replace him play first, and what type of relationship they build with barrett (making an assumption, but a fair one at this stage) before we can say if we are going to miss him or not ?

Such as Col Ewe away last season for example. The look on his face when that in-bred muppet threw the ball at AB and when he was celebrating at the end was worth the ticket price alone!!!

Anybody else seen this?

Yeah I noticed that, bloody typical footballer. I also noted in his interview on our site that he only mentions the fans, who worshipped him towards the end of last season, right at the end probably after being prompted. No loyalty in football anymore. Oh well, good luck to him at this "ambitious" club which finished 4 places below us last season.

When Clarke arrived, he looked poor...poor positioning and lapses in concentration, eg the goal conceded against Sunderland at home in Aug., 2006 (first game for us, I think) but towards the end of the season (eg Burnley, home) he really measured up to the CCC, but too late unfortunately. I loved his 'big heart' at away games and some of the freakish goals he scored (Orient, away, Feb., 2008) and some of those he contributed surprisingly skilfully towards (Ipswich, away, March 2007). He gave a lot to the club and we will miss him, but I'm not as upset as I was when we lost King Kev, Marky G and obviously, Freddy. I understand Michael Nelson (from Hartlepool) is on our radar and he's already done his bit for us...his goal v Brentford put us into the CCC that glorious day we drew at Swansea. Quite a good omen, I hope!

Back