• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Although I agree with the majority of the posts so far that Gilbert isn't really very good , in fact , and I can't believe I'm writing this , but if Prosser was given a decent run ( which he never gets ) he may turn out to be a better alternative - still can't believe I wrote that.......
Anyway , I'm getting off the point , the reason for the anti-Gilbert brigade right now is related to Mohsni and Gilberts obvious dislike of the man.
Gilbert was the one who spoke out openly against Mohsni and that has upset the majority.
I am a huge Mohsni fan ( flawed or not , he is different , and we need different from time to time ) and Gilbert should have kept everything within house.
He is right to have his opinion , and I respect that , but don't go moaning to the media , it's pathetic.

I disliked Gilbert for his performances a long time before the Oldham debacle. Its nothing personal I dont need a hate figure, I am not a boo boy or on a one man war against the style of play I simply want to see good players playing for us.

I dont overly like Clohessey as a player as a rule (Must admit he has been superb last few games in fairness) but I respect him as a athelte and a footballer. To me Gilbert simply isnt good enough to warrant not being replaced.

No

Its proof he was in the opponents half putting a cross in, which the Vale defender for whatever reason turned into his own net. But some people around me in the east still took it upon themselves to have a go at him no matter what.

I suppose if Martin had made that cross he would have been the new messiah.

Gilbert totally over hit the cross and didnt pick out one of three of four blues players that went near or to the edge of the box. It was pure fluke that there bloke was so woeful he turned it into his own net.

That said Gilbert deserves credit for the run but again i think a decent proffesional player would pick out a cross.

Put the ball in for the own goal !!! But in the paper it said that the own goal was totally unnecessary because no southend player was any where near him. And this is the proof he is a good player??

The cross was awful, it was Gilbertesque defending by Owen which created the goal.

The cross was so far away from the forwards it could not even be blamed on them not following in for it, even the full back assumed that there must be a Southend player somewhere in the vicinity, hence the bungled attempt to play it out for a corner

Once again, i just dont get this. We are second in th eleague only lost 5 league games all season, yet people still have to have something to moan about. Gilbert is a defender., thats what he is primarily paid to do and for what its worth i quite like him. he does the basics well and no his distribution is poor, but at times the midfield dont always provide an option. Our defence for the most part has been solid, thats why we are at the top and he has been a big part of it. People need to grow up and look at the broader picture. Its a team game, you win as one and lose as one. If you dont like it then dont bother turning up. Ive loved this season and when you support a club you support it through the thick and the thin as you do the players. UTB

Thats what is happening, 800 fewer at last home league game as compared to previous. people talking with their feet who love being near the top but hate the so called direct football. (hoofball)

Although I agree with the majority of the posts so far that Gilbert isn't really very good , in fact , and I can't believe I'm writing this , but if Prosser was given a decent run ( which he never gets ) he may turn out to be a better alternative - still can't believe I wrote that.......
Anyway , I'm getting off the point , the reason for the anti-Gilbert brigade right now is related to Mohsni and Gilberts obvious dislike of the man.
Gilbert was the one who spoke out openly against Mohsni and that has upset the majority.
I am a huge Mohsni fan ( flawed or not , he is different , and we need different from time to time ) and Gilbert should have kept everything within house.
He is right to have his opinion , and I respect that , but don't go moaning to the media , it's pathetic.

I didn't see Gilbert, or anyone for that matter moaning about the players who underacheived at home to Bradford later that week .

To quote PG "We would have won if we had 11 players that day" rather than half a dozen going through a vague impression of a footballer

Once again, i just dont get this. We are second in th eleague only lost 5 league games all season, yet people still have to have something to moan about. Gilbert is a defender., thats what he is primarily paid to do and for what its worth i quite like him. he does the basics well and no his distribution is poor, but at times the midfield dont always provide an option. Our defence for the most part has been solid, thats why we are at the top and he has been a big part of it. People need to grow up and look at the broader picture. Its a team game, you win as one and lose as one. If you dont like it then dont bother turning up. Ive loved this season and when you support a club you support it through the thick and the thin as you do the players. UTB

I have seen plenty of left backs playing for Southend and Gilbert is one of the poorer ones.
We are second in the 4th division and whilst I am perfectly happy with the way things are going it still doesn't make PG a decent footballer.

Whenever Mark Hone got the ball, there used to be a groan , he was known as "end of move " Hone for his distribution skills
We were two divisions higher in those days but we all thought he was crap

I have seen plenty of left backs playing for Southend and Gilbert is one of the poorer ones.
We are second in the 4th division and whilst I am perfectly happy with the way things are going it still doesn't make PG a decent footballer.

Whenever Mark Hone got the ball, there used to be a groan , he was known as "end of move " Hone for his distribution skills

We were two divisions higher in those days but we all thought he was crap

Got me thinking of other nick names. (p**s poor passer prosser) and (give it away Gilbert). I think this could start another thread with names for each player.

Thats what is happening, 800 fewer at last home league game as compared to previous. people talking with their feet who love being near the top but hate the so called direct football. (hoofball)

It was 1700 Southend fans difference between the 2 games.

6700 home fans for Daggers
5000 home fans for Port Vale

It was 1700 Southend fans difference between the 2 games.

6700 home fans for Daggers
5000 home fans for Port Vale

Your not comparing like for like games . I was comparing the Bristol Rovers game V Port Vale . Both played on Saturday and not over the holiday. And the difference in home support was around 800 lower. The point is we are flying high and still turning people off coming. If it's not the hoofball can one of you direct football guys tell me what it is?

Your not comparing like for like games . I was comparing the Bristol Rovers game V Port Vale . Both played on Saturday and not over the holiday. And the difference in home support was around 800 lower. The point is we are flying high and still turning people off coming. If it's not the hoofball can one of you direct football guys tell me what it is?

Say the Bristol & Port Vale games then. You cant just say the last home game compared to the previous game, That would mean Daggers & Port Vale :dim:

As pathetic as criticising someone for being big enough to front up to the media right after a gutting defeat and provide honest feedback to questions when others were sulking in the dressing room?

I know Tilly was called SPUD in his playing days. Did this come from P Taylor sounding a bit like Potato or have I got that wrong??

Really getting quite annoyed with a lot of fans simply jumping on the bandwagon about Peter Gilbert.

Whilst I can appreciate there are many who don't think he's a good defender, or he doesn't bring much to the team, a lot of people seem to be blaming him for our supposed 'hoofball' tactics. Its quite clearly not Peter Gilbert's decision to make the team play a direct style, its a tactical instruction! I can't believe how far some people are going to blame Gilbert for our style of play! I appreciate this isn't everyone who is critisizing Gilbert, and I'm sure many people have genuine reasons for it, but personally I don't see what he's done to deserve this stick.

Whilst we were on our unbeaten run, I wasn't hearing complaints about his defending then? I dont have an issue with his defending, you look at the goals we've conceded this season and I don't think many of them have been down to him, going forward he's not as good as Clohessy on the other flank, but Clohessy is the best full back I've seen in the division so it is unfair to compare the two, especially as again, it could well be a tactical instruction for Sean to push on more and Peter Gilbert to sit back more. Despite this, he put in the cross that set up the own goal against Port Vale, which although didn't find a blue shirt, it pressured the defender, put it into an area where he had to do something about it, and eventually led to a goal, it also shows that he does get forward. He does alright going forward for Corners, especially for a full back, I think he's scored 1 so far but come close with a few and might even have a couple of assists.

As a defender I don't have any issues with Gilbert, I'll accept he's not the best left back we've ever had, equally he's not the worst. He's good in the air, defends his flank reasonably well and isn't prone to glaring errors. I don't see why the criticism upon him is justified, I wouldn't mind seeing a left back come in, don't get me wrong, but I don't think that means he should be getting as much stick as he is.

But mostly, please stop blaming him for 'hoofball'.

I agree, it's not Peter Gilbert's fault he is told to play hoofball rather than the Barcelona standard of football that we are capable of!

Oh by the way, r u related to Peter Gilbert by chance?

Back