• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Post-Match Thread and Ratings Peterborough Utd 4-0 Southend Utd

I fear for our future league 2 next season potential another relegation fight if we go down to the National league something has to be done in the summer

We have been mid table in the current form tables since the New Year. If we can at least somewhere near maintain that, going down on mid table L1 form is not a bad omen for L2. Much will depend on who leaves and comes in so as you say the summer will be very important but there is the makings of a decent L2 squad.

is about time the chairman made a truthful statement about what is going on not the manager fault dosent make any difrence who the manager is feel so sorry we have sunk so low.

is about time the chairman made a truthful statement about what is going on not the manager fault dosent make any difrence who the manager is feel so sorry we have sunk so low.

Not in any way defending Ron here but it's possible that Ron did not expect the EFL to stop us registering players so long after the wages problem was resolved. He may have erroneously expected it to have been lifted prior to the window closing and hence have been able to have the two Macclesfield players and Ted on board.

I’ve had time to reflect, I haven’t watched the highlights but here are my thoughts on the game and the players.

It really was a game of two halves, we started off the first half very shaky and as I had predicted with my mate before the game anything less than 4-0 is a success. To my surprise the kids held off a very experienced and on fire Peterborough. The ref had his moments and I think Toney was lucky to be on the pitch but then again as was Demi.

We came out in the second half and tried to attack more and that’s where Peterborough thrive on the counter. Milligan’s deflected shot hits the bar and then they are off down the other end and score. I then turn to my mate and say now the flood gates open. Peterborough got the confidence and showed exactly why they score so many.

I expected the result and wasn’t angry or disappointed. I was very proud of all the players to get through the first half without conceding. For that reason I’m not going to give ratings on the players just my view as they all put bags of effort in!

Oxley - I haven’t seen the highlights, think he couldn’t do much for a few of them. He came out for a couple of their chances. With a good solid defence in front of him he is a good keeper and I hope we do everything in our power to keep him.

Clifford - First time I’ve seen this lad, like a few others tonight. He seems confident, composed and great going forward. Reminds me a lot of Coker in his ability and I hope to see more of him.

Bwomono - Absolutely class, the lad has come on leaps and bounds and is playing out of position and for his age he’s playing like a senior pro. If we can keep him he is future captain material, he pulled a couple of the young lads away from getting involved with scuffles when the ref was having a mare. He is playing with confidence and looked solid.

Dieng - Not bad but it’s clearly obvious he is playing out of position. Sometimes he just needs to take that second rather than just hoofing it. We had a couple of corners in the first half I would like to see him towering over and smashing the headers in from corners. But overall not a bad performance.

Mitchell-Nelson - First 10/15 minutes he looked nervous and I didn’t think he would last. But the more he got into the game the better he got. He has got a lot to work on, I’m not sure of his natural position but he didn’t look comfortable at RB. Some good play and he is absolute unit he should use that to his advantage.

Egbri - Like M-N he struggled to get into the game, nerves probably didn’t help these lads being chucked in at the deep end. Showed some signs of a good player there but should have done better with his chance right at the end. Looks like he will be a good player in time.

Milligan - I read a lot of bad things about Milligan but from what I saw yesterday was a no nonsense performance. He helped cover the defence and got forward a few times. He was really unlucky with his deflected shot that hit the bar. If he continues to put in performances like that I’d keep him. His experience for the young lads would be vital.

Mantom - A Kevin Maheresque performance, lots of backwards and sidewards passing (not a dig), it was affective and he didn’t lose the ball often. He got in a couple of positions where I thought he needs to shoot and he can hit it but held off. Just have a go Mantom!

Demi - He smashed Taylor in the first half and left a mark on his thigh. He was very lucky to get away with just a ticking off. Especially as he was booked in the second. He had an alright game not his best but by far not his worst.

McLaughlin - Typical Senior pro performance, confident and assured. Seemed to encourage and chat to the young lads a lot. He like Mantom got in a few positions where I thought he could’ve scored if he just shot! We know he can do it from distance.

Rush - I like the look of him, confident performance and very unlucky not to score with his shot. His record in the youth is impressive. I think once he gets one the flood gates will open. For a small lad he holds himself well. I’d like to see him up top with Acquah.

Subs:

Kelman - Not much came off for him I think a partnership is the way forward for him rather than on his own. Acquah seemed the more likely to score.

Acquah - I saw him against Ipswich and didn’t think much but he was impressive when he came on. He’s a big lump and he looked skillful and used his size to his advantage. Not really sure how he played last night as I thought we sent him out on loan. Would like to see him start on Saturday with either Rush or Kelman.

Ref - Terrible, but we should be used to that by now. The officials as a whole were bad. Some awful decisions all round.

Peterborough - Toney was bound to score, lucky to be on the pitch bit of a prick! They’re a good scoring side I think they’ll struggle in the Championship ala Luton. For a team that just won 6 on the bounce their attendance was ****ing embarrassing! Their support was dire they only piped up after they scored their first.

Now onto the most positive bit:

The Fans - We are doing absolutely ****ing awful, one of the worst times I’ve ever known and most fans have ever known. But we still come and we still sing. Whenever a goal went in there was no groaning or booing it was straight into supporting the team. Come the end everyone waited to applaud the players as the Peterborough fans bomb burst out. You’d not think they won 4-0 the way the stadium emptied.

There seems more of a connection with these kids now the bad eggs and the high earners have gone. And it’s great to see, we might not be getting the results but I’m proud as punch to call myself a Southend United fan after that showing from the fans.

Also Kinali was enjoying his chant and looked really happy with it!

I bet Sol wishes that he was manager of Southampton......

Yes he probably does! To me he seems very much like Bond, his heart is not really in Southend it is just another possible stepping stone to something else. Our most successful recent managers have been Tilly who has Shrimpers in his DNA, also Brown and Sturrock who although from outside the region did buy into the club and fans and had some affinity with us. Campbell seems different altogether. I don't think he is a very popular individual throughout the game. However, hopefully he can improve things here.

I don't get the personal dislike of the man- he is doing an almost impossible task under huge pressure? Most will say he is actually doing pretty well and will be judged next season. There does seem a general (not having a pop at you specifically) desire, almost desperation, to find some fault?

Given our results since he joined, on what criteria do you judge him as 'doing pretty well'?

Yes he probably does! To me he seems very much like Bond, his heart is not really in Southend it is just another possible stepping stone to something else. Our most successful recent managers have been Tilly who has Shrimpers in his DNA, also Brown and Sturrock who although from outside the region did buy into the club and fans and had some affinity with us. Campbell seems different altogether. I don't think he is a very popular individual throughout the game. However, hopefully he can improve things here.

I read Campbell in completely the opposite way. He doesn’t need to be here financially, and he doesn’t need the hassle that goes with working for Ron. The only reason he can be here is that he doesn’t like to walk away from a challenge. I respect him for that, and think that is the sort of attitude we need at the moment. The fact that he doesn’t have ‘Southend in his DNA’ is completely irrelevant to me. He’s doing a good job.

I couldn't care less whether Campbell has Southend in his blood, calls us Southampton .. whatever. He's overseeing a difficult but extremely vital period. We simply have to have a decent league 2 finish next season, we cannot afford a relegation scrap. The building has begun, a lot of the players blooded over the last few games are getting experience that will be vital for next season. Yes, they are losing games but also picking up some points ... playing with the likes of McLaughlin, Milligan etc encouraging them can only help. I would much rather these players represent Southend United than the likes of Rob Kiernan .. they show pride, they show willing .... yes they are out of their depth right now but they 100% need our support and encouragement.

Campbell could easily throw down his jacket and walk off - if he does, he does but he's working in pretty impossible circumstances. I'd love all these critics of the bloke to tell me who else could've done better given the same tools to do the job that he's had. Certainly not Barrett/Tilly .. and I personally am thankful that two club legends haven't had their reputation and status at RH ruined by this God awful season. This is a stabilising job - Campbell is doing alright at it.
To me he's an interim solution - brought in to steady a sinking ship not to be everyone's favourite.

Much like with Sturrock paving the way for PB, let Campbell get on with it, if he walks then pray he leaves us in a salvageable position where there's hope.....THEN we can talk AB. He'll at least have half a chance.

I read Campbell in completely the opposite way. He doesn’t need to be here financially, and he doesn’t need the hassle that goes with working for Ron. The only reason he can be here is that he doesn’t like to walk away from a challenge. I respect him for that, and think that is the sort of attitude we need at the moment. The fact that he doesn’t have ‘Southend in his DNA’ is completely irrelevant to me. He’s doing a good job.
He walked away from the challenge at Macclesfield and wants to see them wound up. Whether he will do the same here remains to be seen. I am not anti Campbell per se, just deeply agnostic about his motivation and his credentials as a manager. His ambiguous public statements, his egotistical Instagram posts and perverse team selections give me grave doubts about him. Most of all, when he became manager there was a chance to turn things round and avoid the drop. People can make excuses for him but despite a slight upturn in results and performances around the new year, mostly against other strugglers it should be said, we are even deeper in the mire, arguably even Gary Waddock might have done better. Finally the team selection last night seemed like waving the white flag by unnecessarily sending out a weakened team. What have Hutchinson and Goodship done not to be in the starting line up? Campbell omitted the one player we have with any semblance of creativity and refuses to give a proven goalscorer (admittedly at a lower level) a chance in his proper position.

Given our results since he joined, on what criteria do you judge him as 'doing pretty well'?

As has been repeatedly reported in the threads since the New Year we have been around 12th in the L1 current form table- this despite losing 8 players, bringing none in and having to play players out of position and a squad with a number of u23 and academy players...

He walked away from the challenge at Macclesfield and wants to see them wound up. Whether he will do the same here remains to be seen. I am not anti Campbell per se, just deeply agnostic about his motivation and his credentials as a manager. His ambiguous public statements, his egotistical Instagram posts and perverse team selections give me grave doubts about him. Most of all, when he became manager there was a chance to turn things round and avoid the drop. People can make excuses for him but despite a slight upturn in results and performances around the new year, mostly against other strugglers it should be said, we are even deeper in the mire, arguably even Gary Waddock might have done better. Finally the team selection last night seemed like waving the white flag by unnecessarily sending out a weakened team. What have Hutchinson and Goodship done not to be in the starting line up? Campbell omitted the one player we have with any semblance of creativity and refuses to give a proven goalscorer (admittedly at a lower level) a chance in his proper position.

You actually believe Gary Waddock might have done better?

I think Sol has looked at the upcoming fixtures (3 home games in a week), and took last night as a free hit. Nobody expected us to get anything from the game, so he's rested some to ensure they are fit for those games. Should we win all 3 of them (admittedly a big ask), we could be anywhere within 4-6 points from safety, and then it's game on.

I expect Hutch, Kelman and Goodship to come into the side (assuming the Macc lads still aren't signed), and us to line up as below

Ox

Demi
Elvis
Dieng
Clifford

Milligan
Mantom

Goodship
Hutch
Macca

Kelman

We have a unique challenge at the moment in that we have seven senior pros available (some of whom have recently returned from injury) with three games in a week. Campbell has to rotate his squad to avoid more injuries, but he knows that he has very few options.

Last night appeared to me Campbell trying his best to engage in some squad rotation, aware of how unlikely a win was, and knowing there is a home game against promotion challengers coming up on Saturday,.

It's going to be very hard to give a fair match report for the rest of the season. These young lads are putting in an honest shift.

Egbri really struggled to get into the game but it's hard to criticise. He's so bloody small though

I watched the game on iFollow and I was pleasantly surprised to see Milligan put in a good showing. It was probably the best I've seen of him and so unlucky with that one that hit the post because it was a great technique to re-adjust his body quickly

McLaughlin didn't really help Clifford out for the first. He's too slow to get back goalside of his man so Clifford is forced to go to the ball and then I think it's the 4th goal he's too slow to get out and plays Toney onside

They didn't deserve to be on the end of a spanking like that after a real honest shift in the first. Peterborough are a good side though, they would have obviously got a rocket at half time and they turned it on

The silence is deafening from Ron though. The lack of communication is a disgrace. Even seen Craig Fagan mention he had no idea 3 of his players were getting debuts last night and if he did, he'd have made the trip

Sol and Ron's relationship seems totally fractured already. Relegation this season will not mark the end of this, only the start. This club is rotten right now and we need to prepare for life outside the Football League in the near future. Horrible

Though you would rather have not had to write this post I can tell you it's a great summing up of our plight on and off the pitch,this club is slipping away fast under him and it hurts.

Sad, but true.

I don't get the personal dislike of the man- he is doing an almost impossible task under huge pressure? Most will say he is actually doing pretty well and will be judged next season. There does seem a general (not having a pop at you specifically) desire, almost desperation, to find some fault?

I think he comes across as a bit weird tbh. Some may say eccentric, whilst others may say something else. Personally, I can’t quite put my finger on it.

To a degree, he reminds me a bit of Chris Eubank, who is a perfect example of being judged on his character, instead of his achievements. Like Sol, he’s clearly as mad as a March hare, but that doesn’t stop him from being genuinely great at what he does/did.

I don’t dislike Sol, although I’m not keen on him either.

I’m relatively neutral tbh - for now, at least.

It was, of course, a slip of the tongue. The desperation to build it up into something more than that is precisely what I don't understand.

Sure, some will build it into a more significant event than it was, that’s the nature of the public. Personally, from my own standpoint, I saw it as a man that was rattled.

Sure, it could just be one of those moments, which we have all had from time-to-time, or it might not be. You pay your money and take your choice, I guess.

Rush - 7 - I think there's a player in there. in some ways I rate him above Kelman. Didn't get bossed by a strong centre half pairing.

We (posh) were fielding a makeshift back three Rush was up against a A right back on the left side of defence, and a league one standard squad defender along side Beevers. Its one of the reasons we were playing it less accurately in the first half, and being less fluent clearing our lines Kent and Thompson were injured,suspended are much better defenders. So you would have to consider his performance as being against a decent mid table league one defence rather than the first choice defence of a top 6 side

Last edited:
We (posh) were fielding a makeshift back three Rush was up against a A right back on the left side of defence, and a league one standard squad defender along side Beevers. Its one of the reasons we were playing it less accurately in the first half, and being less fluent clearing our lines Kent and Thompson were injured,suspended are much better defenders. So you would have to consider his performance as being against a decent mid table league one defence rather than the first choice defence of a top 6 side

Matt Rush is 19 and that was his first full start for us. He's made a couple of sub appearances but previously he was a regular U23 player. You may well have been fielding a weakened defence but I reckon @rlb999 called it right when he said he didn't get bossed by your central defenders. In terms of size and experience they were a pairing he has never experienced before. I hope that gives it some context.

There was a DJ who once asked listeners to stay tuned to...and then named a rival station - a total slip of the tongue - but he was 'let go' the following morning.
Maybe, not quite as drastic as Sol's gaffe.
All the same, this is not his first week with the club.
If I were him, I'd stay put until another makes an offer, because he's in a win-win situation on two counts.
A) he plays the youngsters because he has to, and, B) therefore results don't matter.
Which other PL or FL manager can say that results don't matter?
No one blames him for team selection, apart from omitting Goodship and Hutchinson, and frankly I don't rate the former.
I've gone through various degrees of emotion since August, starting with anger, and arriving at complete acceptance of the worst period I've know in 57 years. Yeah, absolutely the worst when it comes to matters on the pitch.
It's a feeling of helplessness akin to watching someone drowning with no rope to hand.

Back