• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Why on earth would Sunderland appoint Phil Brown! They have just received large amounts of money from tv rights and it is paramount that they preserve their league status. So why would they appoint a league one manager to achieve this? From Sunderland's point of view, they can and will, do a lot better than Phil Brown.

As for England, Sam has worked with lots of different coaches since Brown, surely they are going to be ahead of Brown to become a coach. Sam knows that Phil has been out of the game at the top level for a long time, to just go into the England set up is a big risk.
Additionally, from your average England supporters point of view, can you actually imagine seeing that lineup.

Big Sam, famous for keeping teams up, 0 cup wins.

Phil Brown, famous for doing a team talk on the pitch, league one manager!

Average supporter, "The FA have really appointed well there, I can't wait for the World cup!"

Whilst I have no issue with him wanting either job I really dont see the need for going on TV and telling the world when there is no suggestion he is yet in the running for either.

If he moves on then good luck to him, but if he doesn't then it doesn't do him a lot of favours to be publicly touting for other jobs and then having to stay with us.

The point here is it's not just England, Sunderland etc. it's the way he offers himself publicly like a cheap whore. He makes it sound like "anyone who's a bit better than Southend can have me". Chairmen of other clubs would respect him more if he kept his mouth shut. Get on with the job in hand, keep your mouth shut, get decent results and offers will come Mr Brown.

The point here is it's not just England, Sunderland etc. it's the way he offers himself publicly like a cheap whore. He makes it sound like "anyone who's a bit better than Southend can have me". Chairmen of other clubs would respect him more if he kept his mouth shut. Get on with the job in hand, keep your mouth shut, get decent results and offers will come Mr Brown.

Spot on, he just can't keep quiet.

Sunderland are about to lose Big Sam . They need a big man to fill boots Phil brown is not it .So shut up phil and get on with the task in hand .

Its not rocket science. Sky sports journalist needs to fill 5 minutes of air time with an opinion on Allardyce. They know full well that Phil Brown knows him and always is willing to be available to give an honest viewer friendly interview ,, so they rang him and got exactly what they wanted. Phil Brown is an ambitious man , of course he wants to better himself at the highest level , who doesnt ? Both jobs would probably quadruple his salary and raise his profile. He supports the Maccas so who could argue if he took the job ...

Lets face it in reality hes got no chance of either jobs -- but giving an honest answer when someone asks a direct question is not a crime, its quite refreshing.

Phil does love to put himself out there for sure, he is our own media junkie which has both good and bad consequencies. On balance ,zoners thought his constant selfie behaviour last year did play a part in unsettling the team and I really hope that doesn't happen again. It would also be rather good, if he took the media opportunity to just big up Southend a bit, just mentioning what a great family club, or wonderful bunch if supporters , would be good, rather than the constant, I'm here, come and get me, there isn't much I haven't managed etc

Mildly irritating but I think Brown comes across as delusional more than anything. He clearly rates himself so much higher than any of the fans who have supported the clubs he's managed do which probably says quite a lot.

I don't have an issue necessarily with him touting himself for a role in the England setup. I just wish he'd occasionally give us some praise as a club rather than make out that he'd rather be anywhere but here.

If he left tomorrow the most annoying thing would be the further disruption to our pre-season. Other than that, couldn't care less.

Phil does love to put himself out there for sure, he is our own media junkie which has both good and bad consequencies. On balance ,zoners thought his constant selfie behaviour last year did play a part in unsettling the team and I really hope that doesn't happen again. It would also be rather good, if he took the media opportunity to just big up Southend a bit, just mentioning what a great family club, or wonderful bunch if supporters , would be good, rather than the constant, I'm here, come and get me, there isn't much I haven't managed etc

Maybe if half of them didnt slate him constantly he might believe that :smile:

The FA meet today to ratify big Sam's appointment. If they make the announcement today then I'm guessing the immediate lieutenants will also be announced. I think the FA will be keen for a young and hungry replacement (were have I heard that before?) to work with Sam with a view to stepping up later on. Phil doesn't quite fit that description and I can't, for a moment, believe that Sam would want him.

As for Sunderland, they are still a Prem team and they have loads of dosh. Why would they take a risk on Phil when they can get an established, probably foreign, manager instead? I don't think he has been disrespectful to Southend, he's just being PB. This feels more like he is desperately trying to convince himself that he could still be contender.

Stay with us Phil, take us to the Championship this season and then you can hawk yourself around if you want. Otherwise you could be a Championship manager with Southend.

Please please go now. I've never heard such disrespect for the club. You want either the Sunderland job or to be in the England set up, so disrespectful. 2 years ago Lincoln City didn't want you !
Your aspirations cost us last year and is now starting even before the season begins.
How can you expect player loyalty or respect when all you publicly talk about is being somewhere else.
Far better to keep your mouth shut !

I'm guessing you're not much of a fan of PB? Based on what you said above I was expecting a big bombshell in that interview. I didn't get one. There's nothing in there that upset of worried me because he hasn't said anything we didn't already know. He may have been better off not really answering the question, but he didn't say anything I wouldn't have expected him to say.

As an aside, is that the Southend squad we can hear in the background?

There's no way Sunderland will go with Phil, they only just escaped relegation so would anyone see Phil as a man with a pedigree for keeping them in the Premiership ? Can't see it.

If he moves on Championship will be his level.

Realistically he is not in the frame for either appointment. They might just as well have asked Barrington Belgrave if he was interested in either job.

If by some miracle he ends up working for Allardyce in a part-time capacity then it can only be of benefit to Southend United anyway......

I wonder if now Phil is regretting not going up to Sunderland as Big Sams #2?? He might have been much better placed for the Sunderland manger job as it would be an in house appointment or may have been part of Sam whole backroom staff going to England. As ever Phils ego (wants to be a number 1) got in his way...

The best chance of him getting bigger job, is getting us promoted and maintaining a healthy position in the championship, from their he'll have the pick of some plum jobs

Phil would be much wiser remaining silent on such matters,if he is offered any decent job we all know he is off,just no need to continue advertising his willingness to manage somewhere bigger.

Whilst I have no issue with him wanting either job I really dont see the need for going on TV and telling the world when there is no suggestion he is yet in the running for either.

If he moves on then good luck to him, but if he doesn't then it doesn't do him a lot of favours to be publicly touting for other jobs and then having to stay with us.

Did you listen to the interview ? He answered a simple question about his home town. No player or manger would say different.

Besides does anyone really think for one second that the board of Sunderland will suddenly sit up and think " I've just heard PB on sky and he's interested"

It's a fair point. If Phil and Sam are best buddies, haven't Sunderland got a centre half kid who needs some first team action?

Would a kid from Sunderland fancy moving 350 miles south away from his friends and family?

Back