• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Southampton Shrimper

Team Eggheads
With us ending up in sixth place, I thought I'd look back through the history books to see how well teams had done in the play-offs from that position.

And not too well, I'm afraid to say. In the 21 years of the play-offs up to last season, the team finishing bottom of the play-off group in our division (the third tier, now known as League One) has reached the final on only seven occasions.

However, could there be a pattern here? There were four years in the mid-nineties when this happened in consecutive seasons. Could there be another four-team pattern about to be completed in the mid-noughties?

The teams who made it to the final from 6th place (or equivalent):

1994 Burnley won
1995 Huddersfield won
1996 Bradford won
1997 Crewe won

2003 Cardiff won
2005 Hartlepool lost
2006 Swansea lost
2008 could we???

So, a win at Wembley would be completing a nice little pattern. Interesting also that although few teams have made it past the semi-finals from our position, until three years ago all of those that did did end up getting promoted.

And now, for those of you who haven't yet lost the will to live, here is the really freaky fact:

Since the play-offs were first introduced in 1987, the 25th May has fallen on a Sunday only three times. On each of those three occasions, the Play-Off Final for the third tier has been played on that date, which of course includes this year, 2008. The last two years this happened were 2003 and 1997, which happen to be the last two occasions that the team finishing in sixth place won the play-off final.

:stunned:

Spooky!

Right, I'm off for a lie down, the men in white coats should be round soon!

Last edited:
With us ending up in sixth place, I thought I'd look back through the history books to see how well teams had done in the play-offs from that position.

And not too well, I'm afraid to say. In the 21 years of the play-offs up to last season, the team finishing bottom of the play-off group in our division (the third tier, now known as League One) has reached the final on only seven occasions.

However, could there be a pattern here? There were four years in the mid-nineties when this happened in consecutive seasons. Could there be another four-team pattern about to be completed in the mid-noughties?

1994 Burnley won
1995 Huddersfield won
1996 Bradford won
1997 Crewe won

2003 Cardiff won
2005 Hartlepool lost
2006 Swansea lost
2008 could we???

So, a win at Wembley would be completing a nice little pattern. Interesting also that although few teams have made it past the semi-finals from our position, until three years ago all of those that did did end up getting promoted.

And now, for those of you who haven't yet lost the will to live, here is the really freaky fact:

Since the play-offs were first introduced in 1987, the 25th May has fallen on a Sunday only three times. On each of those three occasions, the Play-Off Final for the third tier has been played on that date, which of course includes this year, 2008. The last two years this happened were 2003 and 1997, which happen to be the last two occasions that the team finishing in sixth place won the play-off final.

Spooky!

Superb stat stuff. More convinced than ever we are destined to be the team to lower Leeds colours in the final.

1994 Burnley won
1995 Huddersfield won
1996 Bradford won
1997 Crewe won

2003 Cardiff won
2005 Hartlepool lost
2006 Swansea lost
2008 could we???

Spooky!

I'm sure you had fun researching that but unfortunately n it will have absolutely zero bearing on what happens in our games with Doncater in 2008. There is no such thing as coincedence. Now is now .

1994 Burnley won
1995 Huddersfield won
1996 Bradford won
1997 Crewe won

2003 Cardiff won
2005 Hartlepool lost
2006 Swansea lost
2008 could we???

Spooky!

Thanks for that good to know the stats

Back