• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

I think I read somewhere back a while ago that Gray chose football over athletics. Think it said he was top national level. If that's true he would likely be our fastest ever.

Yes and no.

He appears to have been ranked 3rd at national junior (u15) level but it was at High Jump.

He was still a pretty handy sprinter with a wind-assisted best of 10.88 (+2.3) and I don't think any Southend player will have been clocked quicker than that.

Dave Regis of course had some quality sprint genes, but his cousin John could run round bends whilst Dave had the turning circle of the QEII.

Yes and no.

He appears to have been ranked 3rd at national junior (u15) level but it was at High Jump.

He was still a pretty handy sprinter with a wind-assisted best of 10.88 (+2.3) and I don't think any Southend player will have been clocked quicker than that.

Dave Regis of course had some quality sprint genes, but his cousin John could run round bends whilst Dave had the turning circle of the QEII.

Wow! What an all round athlete he was then

Willie had the reddest face ever I didn't think he was that quick though.

Derek Woodley was very quick and the flying pig -Alan Foggan was a schoolboy sprint champion.
Yes,Woodley was incredibly fast,but a few years earlier another outside-right was even quicker-the Canadian Errol Crossan.

Some of the quickest players I have seen in a Blue shirt -

Gavin Tomlin
Stan Collymore
Ryan Leonard
Michael Timlin
Jermaine McGlashan
Ricky Otto
Dominic Iorfa
Wayne Gray
Neil Campbell
Dave Regis
Steven Clark
Peter Taylor

Greig Shepherd 10.4 seconds over the 100. His legs knew how to run but they sure did not know how to play football.

The fastest local footballer would be Gianni Frankis, played for Wakering and Heybridge, Could have gone on to play at a higher level but chose Athletics (110M hurdles) , Represented GB at Championship level.

I saw recently he has just opted to run for Italy

The fastest local footballer would be Gianni Frankis, played for Wakering and Heybridge, Could have gone on to play at a higher level but chose Athletics (110M hurdles) , Represented GB at Championship level.

I saw recently he has just opted to run for Italy

Adam Gemeli also played for Essex clubs Dagenham & Redbridge and Thurrock - now he IS quick :-)

Russell Williamson would have been the quickest at 110m hurdles -- he could just run under them !!! :runner:

I think I read somewhere back a while ago that Gray chose football over athletics. Think it said he was top national level. If that's true he would likely be our fastest ever.

Yes it's true Wayne grey was a very good sprinter 10.30ish 100meters but like gemelli left daggers to be a top elite 100meters and 200meters GB .were super grey ran the defence ragged and set up a lot of chances for Freddy .

Yes just missed section for London 12 was very unlucky at least he got a free mini clubman from BMW for a year and he didn't make team lol

Back