• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Plymouth - An overview

Southendsleeper

Manager
Poor first half, better second half.

They just never seemed to settle in the first half, seemed nervy, Maher berating the ref as if that would help, Clarke trying too hard, Harrold shouted at by sections of the crowd for not beating his marker to the ball then jeered when he eventually does.

Sodje was very good, a session of head tennis early on in the first half, but a lot of clearing headers, a few wayward passes.

Hooper and McCormack's introduction changed the game, Hooper going forward with intent, McCormack showing why we've taken him back on loan.

The optimistic side of me points out that we're unbeaten in the last 3 matches against opposition the likes of Man U, Preston and Plymouth.

3 balls kicked out the ground, that kind of game

No Blue Belles? Brian Wheeler announces the News of the world dancers to deafening silence. Then does it again to get some kind of reaction.

Some dubious officiating, the linesman in front of the west stand again.

Its frustrating as we know how well they can play, the lowest point in the match for me was when we had Plymouth boxed in, and for some reason decided to pass it back to Daryl.

The teams around us in the relegation zone had bad results, so Im still hopeful.

McCormack is going to keep us up, maher is going to score the winning goal that keeps us up, and hooper is going to change his name to northwood to follow in the footsteps of some man that used to have a silmilar name to that.
biggrin.gif

McCormack and hooper both played well for me dont think clarke can play in the middle again,can he
glare.gif

Not good that we had to play in white. Someone on here posted about the colour clash with the Plymouth kit a few seasons back. You would have thought we would have told Plymouth to bring an away kit?

first half there was no passion no pride, it was terrible. u could hear a penny drop up in the south upper.

why clarke yet again started i don't know and i was very impressed with mccormack.

prior was very nervous and cost us first goal. too slow and poor clearance and it cost us big time.

hoop dun well but do feel kev needed to give them a boost and sort everything out.

second half much better though

Surprising. I thought Prior defended very well and the goal was just a very well executed opportunistic strike.

i think plymouth like most sides in this division are work man like but beatable first half lacking they were scared off making mistakes when gower scored we looked a diffrent side energy fiowed though the team if tilly gets 3 more decent players who can score goals i think we will start pushing up the league but cut out the silly goals like todays

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Up the Shrimps @ Nov. 18 2006,17:55)]Not good that we had to play in white.  Someone on here posted about the colour clash with the Plymouth kit a few seasons back.  You would have thought we would have told Plymouth to bring an away kit?
Trouble is, I think Plymouth's away kit is black, which would also clash with our navy.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Kris @ Nov. 18 2006,19:53)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Up the Shrimps @ Nov. 18 2006,17:55)]Not good that we had to play in white.  Someone on here posted about the colour clash with the Plymouth kit a few seasons back.  You would have thought we would have told Plymouth to bring an away kit?
Trouble is, I think Plymouth's away kit is black, which would also clash with our navy.
Then they should be made to wear our away kit, not us. I suspect that they knew fine well that the kits clashed, and we would have to change which gives them the psychological upper hand from the off.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Shrimp in a Kilt @ Nov. 18 2006,20:01)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Kris @ Nov. 18 2006,19:53)]
[b said:
Then they should be made to wear our away kit, not us. I suspect that they knew fine well that the kits clashed, and we would have to change which gives them the psychological upper hand from the off.
I don't think that's possible anymore due to today's era of squad numbers and names on shirts. Unfortunately in such a situation I think these days the home team are forced to change. Col U had to wear orange at home when we brought our blue kit to Layer Road in the LDV area final a few seasons ago.

ratings:

flavs - 6 not his best game, dodgy set piece moments in 2nd half and wasn't fully convinced by his positioning for the goal

francis - 6 pegged back in first half but no coincidence that we looked more threatening with him motoring down the flank in the second

prior - 6 worked hard but probably should have been more dominant in the air, hayles caused him some problems

sodje - 7.5 good game but wasnt his usual dominant self in the air, however 1 absolutely sublime cushioned header in the 2nd half was probably the best individual piece of skill i have see at the hall this year

gower - 6.5 great goal, rubbish in the first half but much better in the second, looked more confident varied his game

maher - 6.5 mr dependable, often had to deal with passes he probably didnt want as most players ignored clarke, good to see he wasnt on set piece duty today

clarke - 6 poor touches and poor panicky passes, but gave 110% and could have got a goal in the first half (was our biggest goal threat!!). was unfairly ignored by gower all first half which probably ****ed him off a bit

JCR - 5.5 pretty poor, for his game to work he needs to be 100% fresh and fit, and he obviously wasnt today, probably not tillys best move to start with him if he only got back from jamaica yesterday

freddy - 6 poor game by freddy who never stretched their defence, might have been harshly judged offside but he didnt complain. needs to still work on a partnership with harrold cos they didnt click

harrold - 6 never a goal threat. had a couple of sniffs in the first half but was slow to react, had a snatch shot in the 2nd. again needs to work with freddy as the flick ons he made were in vain... was good to see him giving gower a rollocking tho!

subs:
mccormack.. 7.5 - people will know im a big fan, and showed a bit why i rate him highly. got a good touch, is quick and solid in the air. had a couple of chances but to be honest he isnt going to be the goalgetter we all hope for, but at least he will get into the box and cause the opposition problems

hooper - 6.5 looked lively, needs to demand the ball a bit more because he makes some smart runs

[b said:
Quote[/b] (jontosh2001 @ Nov. 18 2006,20:24)]ratings:

flavs - 6 not his best game, dodgy set piece moments in 2nd half and wasn't fully convinced by his positioning for the goal

francis - 6 pegged back in first half but no coincidence that we looked more threatening with him motoring down the flank in the second

prior - 6 worked hard but probably should have been more dominant in the air, hayles caused him some problems

sodje - 7.5 good game but wasnt his usual dominant self in the air, however 1 absolutely sublime cushioned header in the 2nd half was probably the best individual piece of skill i have see at the hall this year

gower - 6.5 great goal, rubbish in the first half but much better in the second, looked more confident varied his game

maher - 6.5 mr dependable, often had to deal with passes he probably didnt want as most players ignored clarke, good to see he wasnt on set piece duty today

clarke - 6 poor touches and poor panicky passes, but gave 110% and could have got a goal in the first half (was our biggest goal threat!!).  was unfairly ignored by gower all first half which probably ****ed him off a bit

JCR - 5.5 pretty poor, for his game to work he needs to be 100% fresh and fit, and he obviously wasnt today, probably not tillys best move to start with him if he only got back from jamaica yesterday

freddy - 6 poor game by freddy who never stretched their defence, might have been harshly judged offside but he didnt complain.  needs to still work on a partnership with harrold cos they didnt click

harrold - 6 never a goal threat.  had a couple of sniffs in the first half but was slow to react, had a snatch shot in the 2nd.    again needs to work with freddy as the flick ons he made were in vain... was good to see him giving gower a rollocking tho!

subs:
mccormack.. 7.5 - people will know im a big fan, and showed a bit why i rate him highly. got a good touch, is quick and solid in the air. had a couple of chances but to be honest he isnt going to be the goalgetter we all hope for, but at least he will get into the box and cause the opposition problems

hooper - 6.5  looked lively, needs to demand the ball a bit more because he makes some smart runs
Sorry how can you say gower (apart from goal) and maher were better than jcr!!
rock.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]I thought Prior defended very well and the goal was just a very well executed opportunistic strike.
Yep, the result of Hammel try to play out of defence and a cross which the guy just got his foot too and went in the only place Daryl couldnt reach.
Cant complain about Hammel though, too many times the ball was just hoofed from the back. We look so much better when we get the ball down and pass.

because in my opinion they were better... mahers passing was fairly assured and was the pick of the midfield in the first half, gower was much better in the second half (agree tho that he was shocking in the first) and i dont think he got MOM for nothing. JCR was poor but i dont think that was really his fault (we dont have many alternatives at the moment), he didnt beat his man today at all, his passing was poor, crosses failed to meet a blues head even when we had bodies in the box and for him to storm down the tunnel when subbed just stank of him realising that he as poor. im definitely not a JCR knocker, i rate him and think that he when fully fit should be starting games, but i just think that he shouldnt really have been starting today and went on to prove me right

i dont think there are many on here who would disagree with jcr having a poor game today

forgot to rate hammell: 6.5 - was at fault for the goal because tried to pass it to gower when he was being marked (although credit for trying to play the ball out instead of hoofing it), looked better in the 2nd half and to be honest wasnt really troubled too much today

[b said:
Quote[/b] (jontosh2001 @ Nov. 18 2006,20:24)]ratings:

rock.gif

Flavs could do nothing about the goal a lucky strike or well placed, doesn't really matter there was no way he could reach it.

Pulled off some good saves, and his timing and kicking was spot on.

maybe you had a better view of the goal. it was a shot to nothing but seemed to find him lacking at the near-post... im willing to be proven wrong after watching the championship tomorrow but it seemed that he had moved too far across his goal. also he was poor against corners in the 2nd half. kicking was ok and swept up well

[b said:
Quote[/b] (jontosh2001 @ Nov. 18 2006,21:02)]forgot to rate hammell: 6.5 - was at fault for the goal because tried to pass it to gower when he was being marked (although credit for trying to play the ball out instead of hoofing it)
to be honest i'd rather him hoof it than give a goal away
rock.gif

Harrold a 6 ? Like most of Tilly's signings this year he seems nothing more than a League One player trying to punch above his weight. We bought him (presumably) for his height and potential unorthodoxy. Well today (again) he displayed absolutely none of that losing just about every header to someone inches smaller than him.

That first half was as poor as I've seen for around 2-1/2 years. It took 25 minutes to register a "shot" and our first three efforts came from an out of position centre half. How many goals have we now conceded this year due to Gower trying to be clever in his own half ? Fortunately AB wasn't on the pitch so we didn't need to panic at the back as Spinner and Efe were able to deal with just about everything else thrown at them.

Maher had a poor first half (feel free to frame that quote
laugh.gif
but I find it hard to find anyone that earned their wages with the possible exception of JCR. Not always effective but eager to get the ball and try. I am starting to feel a bit sorry for Clarke, brought in as a centre-half and being asked to play a pivotal link man in midfield.

The second half changes had an immediate impact. Was disappointed to see JCR go off but you can't argue with the reasons and McCormack and Hooper sparked some much needed life into the team. Maher came out of his shell and we started to dominate the match. We had enough half chances but nothing doing where it really mattered.

All in all a definite game of two halves and the points shared. Doesn't help much and ORM is looking forward once again to enjoyable awaydays to Chesterfield and, hoping for an amazing league run, Shrewsbury. On the first half performance it seems a few others are too.

which was the point i was trying to make (i probably didnt explain it too well)... hammell was probably trying to force a pass which obviously wasn't on due to our usual hoofs seeing the ball come straight back (we all agree that we need to try and keep the ball better and pass it slicker, but this was our downfall with the goal). hammell was our only defender who really tried to build from the back, however his sloppy chip to gower was intercepted and led to the goal.. which is why he was at fault for the goal but needs to be recognised that he was 1 of a few players today in the first half who really tried to play the ball around instead of lumping it up there

Back