• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Breaking News *POSTPONED* Southend Utd vs Cambridge Utd 21st November 2020 15:00hrs FL2

What would be your starting 11 for Saturday and what do you think the result will be?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Who actually cares what Cambridge fans think & say.... don’t get wound up by things outside of your control. Like we wouldn’t have people also saying similar things if situation was reversed either

It’s just Twitter isn’t it, it’s a horrible place where it brings the worst out in some people. It is not a true reflection of a fan base. Even we have some terrible accounts related to our club on Twitter as with most clubs.

It is also natural especially in football when someone is putting down the club you love to defend them.

Once again Martin's abysmal attempts at basic communication has caused problems. To conflate positive covid-19 tests with injuries was sheer stupidity, inviting an investigation and unnecessarily muddying the waters. Why does he keep bringing these problems down on the club when surely a moment's reflection would have told him it was playing with fire by mentioning injuries.

Points being taken away. Won’t happen.

COVID protocols have to be seen as safety first. The EFL will do nothing that can be interpreted differently provided the tests and advice are confirmed. In this case the EFL doctor has been involved.

Whilst this is enough, the club by pointing out that this is exasperated by injuries etc. is probably displaying a small degree of distrust (in this case unwarranted but belt and braces) in the EFL based on their unpredictable prior behaviour- it’s to demonstrate that COVID has left us truly unable to fulfill the fixture as well rather than with other clubs who demonstrably could still have played, but still didn’t (rightly) due to COVID and weren’t punished. And unsaid (because it doesn’t need to be) is that we can only field registered players and can’t register any more prior.

By the way on notice even if COVID got that memo I doubt it will have taken any attention to it- any more than a thunderstorm that makes a pitch unplayable just before KO..

The EFL as a matter of course always state that the game is suspended subject to their standard procedures confirming the facts of the case. The facts will be their own doctors report.

What is interesting is how long the situation will apply for? If it’s a couple of weeks that might be helpful in a number of ways- but for once that is a helpful unintended outcome ..

Once again Martin's abysmal attempts at basic communication has caused problems. To conflate positive covid-19 tests with injuries was sheer stupidity, inviting an investigation and unnecessarily muddying the waters. Why does he keep bringing these problems down on the club when surely a moment's reflection would have told him it was playing with fire by mentioning injuries.

It's not stupidity; if we just highlight Covid, which may only be affecting a few players, everyone would be asking why is it being called off. By highlighting the fact that with injuries, it compounds the situation, is an honest statement!!

So what are Cambridge actually saying. They are almost hinting that If they had players testing positive they would have kept quiet and played the game.

The only thing that needs clearing up is whether teams are sticking to the rules.
Cancelling is the current law of the land, not that that will stop some from having their normal Saturday rants.
Exactly this- and of course why the EFL and do nothing by way of punishment that could be construed as almost encouraging clubs to take that approach

It's not stupidity; if we just highlight Covid, which may only be affecting a few players, everyone would be asking why is it being called off. By highlighting the fact that with injuries, it compounds the situation, is an honest statement!!
That's what I was thinking, not singing RM's praises by any stretch of the imagination but the over riding theme on here is a desire for him to tell the truth.

Unfortunately if you have a filter switched to “I hate Ron” everything is seen through it- meaning to some what appears to be perfectly rational statements are seen as somehow an outrage. The gold standard for this is currently US politics!!

Mentioning the injuries was probably a veiled dig from Ron aimed at the EFL for keeping us under an embargo even after he cleared the tax bill. A kind of 'well if you let us sign some blinkin players we might be able to field a team' type thing..

Hi everyone,

Cambridge fan here. Only signed up last night to read the comments, but thought I would post now as our fans have become the topic!

I think the reaction has been so bad, in part, because there’s naff all else to do with an afternoon with the game called off. Because we’ve been doing so well, and with every match on iFollow, it’s pretty deflating not to have a game to watch. If we weren’t in lockdown I don’t think it would be half as disappointing - it’s pent up frustration with the whole situation I think. Doesn’t excuse the absolute nonsense by some bringing up Simon Dobbin - but idiots will always be idiots unfortunately.

We’ll all need to wait for details to emerge, but the Southend statement definitely reads like Covid wasn’t the main reason for the suspension. I don’t know what the EFL regulations are, or if the EFL will even stick to them anyway, so will have to wait for them to decide if it was correct to call it off or not.

Regardless of any of this I hope you pull through financially. I can remember how awful it was around 2005 when we very nearly went out of business - I wouldn’t wish it on any club. If you do go down try to enjoy the non-league experience, but also try and get out of it quicker than we did!

See, now that's a sensible and reasonable response. Thank you.

Another example of why the club needs a full time experienced CEO

Mentioning the injuries was probably a veiled dig from Ron aimed at the EFL for keeping us under an embargo even after he cleared the tax bill. A kind of 'well if you let us sign some blinkin players we might be able to field a team' type thing..

This did cross my mind too. And it's not an unreasonable dig. Sanctions for late tax payments should have been lifted ages ago. There is no cashflow. For any club.

I agree. Why mention our injured players? It's totally unnecessary. If two of our players have tested positive for Covid 19 then it's highly likely that others have caught the virus from them and are currently infectious without realising it. Our statement shoots us in the foot and is either the result of a thoughtless rushed email in an honest attempt to inform Cambridge as soon as possible, or......it's plain stupidity.

Clubs have still been fulfilling fixtures with just a couple of Covid cases - throw in the fact that because of the embargo we have a limited number of registered players, that clubs can put 5 subs onto the field in a game, we only had 5 subs last week, throw in some( a “plethora“ according to the club -“a large or excessive amount“) niggling injuries and at least 3 players out because of Covid we do end up with the 10 plus two goalkeepers from registered players.

You then have “squad bubbles” which seems to mean the likes of Mitchell Nelson and other U23s etc can’t be considered. With all that’s going on, the restricted number of players we can register meant this was an accident that was inevitable.

If they deduct points it will be criminal.

Excellent, those 3 points we got last weekend will be wiped off with possibly more then.
Err, I don't recall Grimsby Town, Leyton Orient, Accrington Stanley, Crewe Alexandra, Swindon Town, Scunthorpe United or AFC Wimbledon (plus several National League sides) having any points deductions this season. Is it a crime now to own up to having Covid in the ranks alongside injuries?

EFL announcements re. other clubs' COVID postponements were similarly-worded to the one about our's. They're all subject to investigation of the circumstances.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20201121-102921_Twitter.jpg
    Screenshot_20201121-102921_Twitter.jpg
    401.8 KB · Views: 58
  • Screenshot_20201121-102853_Twitter.jpg
    Screenshot_20201121-102853_Twitter.jpg
    365.7 KB · Views: 56
EFL announcements re. other clubs' COVID postponements were similarly-worded to the one about our's. They're all subject to investigation of the circumstances.

Good, that takes a bit of the worry away. Thought the whole injury thing might go against us.

Hi everyone,

Cambridge fan here. Only signed up last night to read the comments, but thought I would post now as our fans have become the topic!

I think the reaction has been so bad, in part, because there’s naff all else to do with an afternoon with the game called off. Because we’ve been doing so well, and with every match on iFollow, it’s pretty deflating not to have a game to watch. If we weren’t in lockdown I don’t think it would be half as disappointing - it’s pent up frustration with the whole situation I think. Doesn’t excuse the absolute nonsense by some bringing up Simon Dobbin - but idiots will always be idiots unfortunately.

We’ll all need to wait for details to emerge, but the Southend statement definitely reads like Covid wasn’t the main reason for the suspension. I don’t know what the EFL regulations are, or if the EFL will even stick to them anyway, so will have to wait for them to decide if it was correct to call it off or not.

Regardless of any of this I hope you pull through financially. I can remember how awful it was around 2005 when we very nearly went out of business - I wouldn’t wish it on any club. If you do go down try to enjoy the non-league experience, but also try and get out of it quicker than we did!
Thanks @MilesCUFC, sensible post. Unfortunately football brings out the absolute worst in some folk, especially when they are tucked up warm behind a keyboard or clinging to their mobiles.

Unfortunately if you have a filter switched to “I hate Ron” everything is seen through it- meaning to some what appears to be perfectly rational statements are seen as somehow an outrage. The gold standard for this is currently US politics!!

Anyone who thinks the Chairman is doing a fantastic job only needs to look where SUFC are in the L2 table atm (currently facing our second succesive relegation at the end of the season).

To liken his detractors to Trump supporters is a staggering reversal of the truth.

Back