• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Breaking News *POSTPONED* Southend Utd vs Cambridge Utd 21st November 2020 15:00hrs FL2

What would be your starting 11 for Saturday and what do you think the result will be?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I'd compare the R numbers, at the locations he travelled to, to those in England, before pointing the finger, if I were you.

It could be anyone. I should imagine the airports are high-risk at the moment so if it WAS Elvis it wouldn’t be that surprising but with so many Covidiots still out there it could literally be anyone in our squad.

1. This speculation by some on here that it's a particular player responsible for the presence of COVID in our squad is out of order and completely unwarranted.

2. How does this work? The likes of Grimsby and Scunny called off fixtures due to COVID but Tranmere played with a number of youth players recently when the virus hit them as they feared a points deduction if they postponed fixtures

3. Cambridge fans getting salty because we called the game off at short notice! I don't think we ruined any of their travel plans... and what are we meant to do? Instruct players to only contract and prove positive before noon on Wednesdays?

Seeing we were on a high after our win last week, cling this off is the last thing we wanted, surely.

Surely the results of the tests come to the club / player when available- not sure they could have done anything else & I would have thought Cambridge would appreciate avoiding the “risk”.

This puts the EFL under pressure to resolve this embargo.

As mentioned by others, it hardly disrupts any supporters plans, they are just a £10 down for a few weeks.

I think they are out of the FA cup - so there’s a window to play

Would I be right in thinking the protocol is we don't play for 14 days now? If so our next game should be away at Stevenage. Hopefully the break does us the same favour that it did for Grimsby and Scunny

Why the bit about injuries? Surely Covid is enough to call it off? Why is nothing with this club straightforward...

To be fair, if it just mentioned Covid (and it only affected 3/4 players) then arguably we would still have enough to play - with injuries as well, it reduces that figure even more

To be fair, if it just mentioned Covid (and it only affected 3/4 players) then arguably we would still have enough to play - with injuries as well, it reduces that figure even more
Exactly. I don't why people are criticising the statement for mentioning injuries. The statement is explaining that we only have X number of players available and why. The presence of COVID is a level of risk that tips the scales in favour of a postponement.

I don't know why we should be bothered what Cambridge fans or their club think, I'm not. We have postponed due to Covid and injuries, told the EFL and we move on. If Cambridge fans want to jump up and down and be outraged, then let them, it's not doing us any harm and it may relieve their stress and improve their mental health.

I don't know why we should be bothered what Cambridge fans or their club think, I'm not. We have postponed due to Covid and injuries, told the EFL and we move on. If Cambridge fans want to jump up and down and be outraged, then let them, it's not doing us any harm and it may relieve their stress and improve their mental health.

Some guy on Twitter claiming he's arranged his day around the football; seems a bit drastic for 2 hours of football and not sure what else he would have been doing, considering we are under lockdown!!

Several of their lot suggesting they should be given the 3 points by default if we can’t fulfill the fixture!

I think it would set an extremely dangerous precedence if we were docked points due to Covid

like grimsby and scunny had there games called off due to players having covid without punishment from the EFL .But they are not therefav whipping boys but we are .So get ready for a back lash from them .

They really are throwing their toys out the pram and having a “paddy” alongside stamping their feet.
Really!!!!!
Some of our players have tested positive and under the guidelines anyone who has been in contact has to isolate for 14 days.
We all know some people do not show symptoms hence why they are being tested.

Do they really want to come and risk their players contracting COVID? And then taking it back home?
All they are seeing is 3 easy points - well let them come an play and then as we have tested positive THEY will then have to isolate and forfeit there next two week games.
Pillocks!!!!!!

Let’s not forget though this flipping embargo is now becoming. Problem for us and there is only one person to blame for this

My son has been told to self isolate for 14 days as he was in contact with someone at school who has a positive test. Strangely my daughter who is the same year doesn’t but she wasn’t in contact with that person. Only if he shows symptoms do we all have to self isolate.

Im not sure how it’s been working in football though as they’ve had numerous positive tests and they just take the player out. The Scunthorpe thing was strange, was it numerous players? Maybe there is a magic number of 3 or 4 and then it’s safer to make the team self isolate and postpone their games.

I'm not pointing fingers at anyone but common sense dictates that's the most likely way it happened.

State of some of the replies

What a total Two-Hat to suggest we cancelled the fixture to avoid playing an in form team & also to disrespect to Simon Dobbin in some way. It was an awful thing that happened to Simon but pretty crappy of this idiot to suggest it.

I think the fact that the EFL’s doctor instructed a player to self-isolate demonstrates that we have been in touch with them about the correct action to take. Disappointing as we probably won’t have a game for a fortnight now, but let’s look on the bright side - Ron may have made the 10-minute phone call by the time these games get replayed!

I bet he won’t have made the call
Should have kept some fireworks back from Nov 5th as he needs a rocket up his behind imo

Surely if there are cases of Covid it's a no brainer as likely that other members of the squad could have it and pass it onto Cambridge squad.

Why would Cambridge want to expose there players to it?

Am looking forward to the statement from our club with more details to clear this one up.

Reactions: ESG
Back