• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

PRE-MATCH THREAD - EURO 2021 Czech Republic v England- Tuesday 22nd June 2021 8pm

What do you think the England result will be on Tuesday?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

RHB

I'm a Gnu, how do you do!⭐⭐
Staff member
Last group game coming up and England sit in second place with 4 points. A draw will see both teams through to the next stage, so do we stick or twist?

I think the majority of England fans would like us to give it a go with some of our more expansive players given a sniff at the start, but after hearing Southgate say that we we don't win then we mustn't lose after the Scotland game, it suggests safety first again. The player certainly owe us a more attacking display, so maybe, just maybe...........

So, normal pre-match stuff followed by official match thread stuff when the whistle blows.

Should go for an attack-minded starting XI and take the game to the Czechs straight from k/o. Cut out the unnecessary passing between defenders and keeper and up the tempo, it’s a young team so no reason for a lack of energy levels.

I thought momentum was a positive quality in football. From what I read the performance against Croatia wasn't particularly good and after watching the performance against Scotland I would suggest that there is no momentum whatsoever. The confidence must be low, either in their own performances or in their manager. A good win in this game could change that and stand the team in good stead for the knockout stages.
Being a Scot I don't particularly care but a good showing by the national team will boost the whole UK and that is badly needed right now. So I hope they go out to win and win well.

If England lose this one Southgate will be thrown to the lions(press) but they might scrape a win,ditch the politics gaffer and play ball.

This’ll be an interesting one. I think Chilwell will get a run out and probably Trippier at RB but again, I just can’t see Southgate doing anything drastic. Pressure will be on the players and traditionally that’s where we slip up. Looking at the laid back, but hard working approach of the Welsh was sobering .. they’ve got nothing to lose and the nation behind them. We should try it. We build ourselves up to fail, why do we do it to ourselves?

Think how much we try here will depend on the results tonight, there's still a risk of Scotland overtaking us and leaving us 3rd if we lose to Czech Republic. The 4 best 3rd place sides go through whilst the other 2 get knocked out.

If in Group B Belgium beat Finland (or failing that Russia don't get at least a point against Denmark) and in Group C the Ukraine - Austria match isn't a draw then two 3rd place teams will have finished on 3 points, meaning we'll have already qualified before kick-off and we can rest some players. If that doesn't happen though then there's a risk of a 3rd place team on 4 points getting knocked out if the GD isn't good enough, so we'll need to play for at least a point.

I think he will go 3-4-3 with Maguire coming back, he will drop Rice probably and have Phillips and Mount in the middle with Trippier/Shaw as the wing backs. Same front three I suspect.

Both teams will stick 11 behind the ball with neither wanting to concede. It will be the most boring game of the tournament so far. No bothering to watch

So with tonight's results we're through no matter what happens. Given there's no incentive to finish top we may as well heavily rotate.

I guess it depends who we want to play next. Second might suit us if its Slovakia

I reckon the Czechs might get 3 or 4 on one knee oh and the score, well does it really matter their both through but i'll say 2-0 either way.

This could be a really bizarre match with both teams trying not to win, and the Czech team actually trying to lose. Now both teams are guaranteed to qualify they might both be trying to ensure 2nd place!

Surely time to give Kane and Sterling a much needed rest, so they are better for the next stage.
Kane is not only knackered, he also has an ankle that has to be treated before and after every game. That's why he gets hacked so much by defenders in the Premiership, on his ankle. They try and put him out of that game. Give that ankle a rest, could be another reason he's looked so slow. Southgate has said he has some young explosive options, but they lack big tournament experience. Put them in now then FFS, when we don't have to win. He might find someone to make us more dangerous in attack. It worked for Belgium last night when they unleashed 19 year old Doku.

Back