• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Thats a thought , in Australia the Aleague all have a womens team that play inthe National womens league , do Southend have a ladies team if not why not !Womens football is also universal now ,im sure theres plenty women players who would love the chance to show off their skills .
:smile:

Arsenal ,have we ever played Arsenal.home preferably,other than them,Sampdoria dont ask me why they just sprang to mind .
:unsure:

Perhaps it was their 7-3 defeat at the weekend that brought them to mind ...... or maybe you were thinking nostalgically of Eddie Firmani who scored an incredible 52 goals in 63 matches for them.

Well look at the facts from last season --- we were pretty much bottom after 12 games , not the ideal start!
So dont swan off to Spain again for a jolly up , go somewhere harsher to toughen up the lads ready for action not pampering on a beach somewhere. Ireland would be good , plenty of fresh air , hill climbing + some good craic.

Not Billericay away. As much as i'd luv to see the game , we shouldnt play there until they sort the pitch out. Last time we played there young Ryan Auger done his ankle in a mid pitch trench and effectively ended his promising career.

Great Wakering away , always amazed how many gnats they attract there.
Chelmsford away , they are a decent club now on the up
Orient away - they could do with some tlc
Crystal Palace at home - Remind Big Sam that Phil Brown can still manage
Man City at home - Continue the good links between the clubs
Lincoln at home - Welcome back the Cowleys + we can learn some proper pre match + dead ball tactics

But above all DONT play games in successive nights - players just seemed to aggravate injuries even if only playing 30/60 minutes. Pre season is just as important to rest + recover properly as to run into the ground.

UTB

Thats a thought , in Australia the Aleague all have a womens team that play inthe National womens league , do Southend have a ladies team if not why not !Womens football is also universal now ,im sure theres plenty women players who would love the chance to show off their skills .
:smile:

Yes we do, (tenuous link alert) my sister's ex husbands daughter plays for us.

Don't forget we are in a higher division so our U21 side will get pre season friendly against non league side too.

Id love to play 'Cape Town Spurs' again, the previous fixture really captured the imagination of the local community, the amazing zest for football that their previous 3000 away fans brought to the hall that summers evening will always be remembered.

If not I would simply love to have a local derby against Gt Wakeing Rovers (since I was young this fixture has been a real magnet for the avid football fan, and really captures the imagination of the local community when the Shrimpers Bandwagon Roles into town

Paul Clarks testimonial v Arsenal 1990 .

Playing against "top teams" sounds fine but in practice if there is too much of a gap in talent then it isn't really much of a game for either team.

I remember seeing Arsenal at Roots Hall - Niall Quinn was on the subs bench and looks absolutely massive compared to any of our players - and my memory was of the game being "men against boys" - Arsenal were so much quicker, more athletic, composed etcetera etcetera.

Much as it is for us against Great Wakering at times.

Anyone fancy Reading? I have yet to go to their new ground - I would count a friendly in my "92" although I now some would not.

Id love to play 'Cape Town Spurs' again, the previous fixture really captured the imagination of the local community, the amazing zest for football that their previous 3000 away fans brought to the hall that summers evening will always be remembered.

If not I would simply love to have a local derby against Gt Wakeing Rovers (since I was young this fixture has been a real magnet for the avid football fan, and really captures the imagination of the local community when the Shrimpers Bandwagon Roles into town

Believe GWR's two highest ever gates were from two of our pre-season matches in past years? Would be a good earner again for them, more so now following their relegation from Ryman North back into the Essex Senior league for next season.

It seems we will be playing Brighton at Roots Hall on Tues 25th July with the possibility of another Prem team on the Saturday following.

According to the Echo website, Brown is saying we are playing Ipswich and Partick Thistle(behind closed doors) with others to be arranged. The non league grounds will be visited by the Under 21s.

Back