• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Pre season friendlies.

I'd like to see us at one of the Canvey clubs too, really ought to make an effort for the really local clubs.

I'd like to put in a request for the cricket match at Southchurch Park! A chance for them to raise some money and a usually decent evening.

A long weekend in say Ghent and Brugge ticks all the boxes for me.
No disrespect, but it won't be Club Brugge who are likely to be playing Champions League qualifying matches in July. Cercle Brugge (who they ground share with), might be a possibility though......

Seeing as Southend now have 2 Airlines flying out here to Malta I wish the club would come over for some preseason training and friendlies.

Some decent training facilities some Serie A clubs have made use of, great weather and a couple of clubs worth having friendlies with.

No disrespect, but it won't be Club Brugge who are likely to be playing Champions League qualifying matches in July. Cercle Brugge (who they ground share with), might be a possibility though......

Who cares, I was thinking about the beer., getting away from the kids and relaxing for a bit. Y ou want to go spoil all that with a poxy football match ?

Seeing as Southend now have 2 Airlines flying out here to Malta I wish the club would come over for some preseason training and friendlies.

Some decent training facilities some Serie A clubs have made use of, great weather and a couple of clubs worth having friendlies with.
I bet the flights won't whizz up to £1000 each for that!

Would give the Trust more of a chance to sell some of the books about our previous preseason tour of Malta in 1955!

http://www.shrimperstrust.co.uk/shop.asp?catid=13

Not sure why people always want so many non league friendlies. We rarely put out full teams and if we did it would be a pointless exercise. Your trying to get your players up to 90 minute L1 standard so Championship or above for me.

Yes we could have a rota for few of the local teams but the minimum you really want is say the Orient away match, which was decent for a friendly.

Not sure why people always want so many non league friendlies. We rarely put out full teams and if we did it would be a pointless exercise. Your trying to get your players up to 90 minute L1 standard so Championship or above for me.

Yes we could have a rota for few of the local teams but the minimum you really want is say the Orient away match, which was decent for a friendly.

You need to play the local non league sides in the early stages of pre season to get fitness levels and match sharpness on the increase. Personally, I think there's a bit of a moral duty to give them the chance to make some money too - it's difficult enough for us, let alone many of them!

I trust those who want an unnecessary and expensive tour of some sort definitely wouldn't moan when the budget doesn't stretch to that extra striker they want in January?

For fitness, to take a look at our young players/ triallists and to do the morally right thing of supporting local football.

Prem/Championship teams don’t put out their first teams out against us either and I’m led to understand often charge a fee for the “privilege”.

A comprehensive list of non-league games early on with lots of subs so everyone gets game time building to a couple of fixtures against league opposition towards the end with more or less the first XI seems optimal to me.

I'm not against supporting local teams, my first ever club was Hullbridge Sports aged 8. I helped on many a fundraiser that helped build their current club house and facilities.

But there has to the right balance to benefit us as a club. The season starts earlier than ever in the modern world, so to many of the wrong friendlies also impacts on the weeks training regime. Lets not forget one of the main reasons we ended up struggling was our fitness levels. So this is an important summer for many reasons especially our long term injured etc.

As for the moral argument. You may want to ask why our local council charge Southend Manor about £4,000 for use of those c*** facilities and another £6,000 for the pitch. Then you might ask why clubs as low as Essex Senior are paying over £200 per week for some players.......Total and needless stupidity.

If teams and their fans, of all levels stopped jumping on the short term 'buy success now' treadmill. Forget gate money and other revenue, the £10b every 3 years that sky pump into the game would be more than enough to give every club you have ever heard of decent and self funding set ups.

Care to elaborate on your view of 'too many of the wrong friendlies' 'cos I'm sure the new management team would appreciate your informed input for the new season ahead.

Care to elaborate on your view of 'too many of the wrong friendlies' 'cos I'm sure the new management team would appreciate your informed input for the new season ahead.

Do the management read and take note of Shrimperzone ? Or do you pass them on any thing you feel is relevant.

I just like watching football and going to grounds that, usually, I wouldn't probably bother going to, unless Southend play there.

Back