• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

SOUTHEND United winger Michael Kightly is relishing a return to Tottenham Hotspur as part of the Shrimpers pre-season preparations today.

More...

Anyone else think this has been a poor pre season in terms of games?

We certainly haven't played as many games as in past pre seasons. Just hope the players aren't under cooked come 4th August

We certainly haven't played as many games as in past pre seasons. Just hope the players aren't under cooked come 4th August

Lots of the pre season matches we played with Brown were full of trialists. Seeing as this season we have 6 new players in before the matches started it doesn’t seem as urgent to see lots of players.

Anyone else think this has been a poor pre season in terms of games?

The quick reply would be "yes" ..... my only hesitation is that C.P. seems to know what he is doing. I suppose we will find out in the next week or so .........

Last edited:
This has been the least amount of 1st team pre season friendlies since I can remember. I hope we don't suffer early season hamstring, calf strain or any other muscle type injuries because of it.

I agree... Hopefully the team have been put through their paces in training. Less matches does mean a smaller opportunity of getting injured by a late tackle or turning an ankle on rock hard pitches... On the flip slide though tactics can only be seen properly during game time and not on a training pitch against an opposition...

Personally I'd rather see the squad have game time.

Played:

Wakering
Aberdeeen u23s
spurs closed doors
Leeds
Bishops stortford
Orient

Looks alright to me

I think the whole debate regarding pre-season games is very subjective. The current manager together with his deputies and medical staff will have developed a training regime and game schedule for the squad. This will be based on their assessment of the players and their own experience and preferences as a management team. The aim is to get the squad ready for the start of the season and obviously the matches we have played so far are considered enough.

As a supporter I like to watch some of the pre-season games. I played as an amateur to a reasonable level but I'm not an ex professional nor do I have an insight into our current squad's fitness levels, so I actually don't have a clue what constitutes the right level of pre-season activity. The only true way for me to judge will be when I've watched a few league games.

I think the whole debate regarding pre-season games is very subjective. The current manager together with his deputies and medical staff will have developed a training regime and game schedule for the squad. This will be based on their assessment of the players and their own experience and preferences as a management team. The aim is to get the squad ready for the start of the season and obviously the matches we have played so far are considered enough.

As a supporter I like to watch some of the pre-season games. I played as an amateur to a reasonable level but I'm not an ex professional nor do I have an insight into our current squad's fitness levels, so I actually don't have a clue what constitutes the right level of pre-season activity. The only true way for me to judge will be when I've watched a few league games.
This type of reasonable comment and admitting you don't know have no place on this forum.
What we require is ill informed, baseless speculation and negative criticism.
What were you thinking ?

This type of reasonable comment and admitting you don't know have no place on this forum.
What we require is ill informed, baseless speculation and negative criticism.
What were you thinking ?
Yeah, sorry. I'll rein it in a bit in future.:Unsure:

Back