• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

DoDTS

The PL League Boss⭐⭐
Life as a Shrimper PART TWO 1976 to 1997

This is the second short review of PART Two of the newly published Book “My life as a Shrimper” The story of my personal journey supporting Southend United.

phpv0tfnapmgj0.jpg

So I had moved to Leicester married and had two children, and all this time in the wilderness I had little involvement with Southend United. The World Cup of 1986 changed things, my 7 year old son lived and breathed football during this tournament and he was ready to watch football. He did his apprentership starting watching local senior league, then league football until he was ready to watch the mighty Blues.

1987/8 the glorious “Dick Bate” era of football and his first introduction to SUFC was a 6-2 defeat at Notts County. That I thought would be that but no he kept coming back for more. The following season 1988/89 wearing “Firholm” shirts we were both keen to see more matches, it was a difficult time for me as I separated from my wife, also for the Shrimpers who were sadly relegated to Division 4.

1989/90 was greatly improved, I got divorced and had a party or two to celebrate, the Blues playing in places such as Scarborough and Maidstone, went on to gain promotion at Peterborough on the last day, virtually condemning Col Ewe to the conference a couple of weeks earlier.

1990/91 Saw us again playing with style and flourish with impressive wins at Reading 4-2 and Fulham 3-0 we went on to the historic day at Bury when we finally won promotion to the second level of football.

1991/92 Our first away game in Division 2 at Derby resulted in a win and we got better and better reaching top spot for a few hours on News Day. I got married again this must have incensed David Webb as he announced he was going to leave at the end of the season, we gently dropped down the table finishing 12th.

1992/93 Colin Murphy in charge (allegedly) uninspiring football, but before we played at West Ham we signed a young striker Stan Collymore. It made little difference as we looked doom to relegation, until Murphy was sacked and Barry Fry took over, and our results improved immediately finishing the season 18th.

1993/94 A season when all virtually saw all our away games, we were agin so full of style it was untrue with impressive wins at Millwall 4-1, Barnsley 3-1, Derby 3-1 an Sunderland 2-0. we were 3rd in the league when Bazza broke our hearts and went to Birmingham for 50 pieces of silver. Peter Taylor took over and we finished 15th.

1994/95 Roots Hall was now an all seater with the South stand opened, we reached the dizzy heights of 9th in November but then dropped for the rest of the season. Life was starting to take over for me with a prospective move to Sussex on the cards, and football became a little less important for a while.

1995/96 I had by now moved to Sussex but one of my first away games was back to Leicester where a Julian Hails hat trick gave us a 3-1 win. An uninspiring season finishing 14th.

1996/97 This season was one of great changes, my son 17 was playing regular football,a nd having lost my travelling partner I went into hibernation for a year, a grim year for the club as they were relegate. I felt guilty that I had not been there at their lowest ebb and vowed I would be back on the terraces.

A further review of PART THREE will follow shortly.

This book is a ShrimperZone Production and can be purchased for £11.99 via the Shrimperzone Merchandise Shop or by sending a PM to Cricko or McNasty or seeing them in the Spread on Matchdays.

Last edited:
This morning I had a copy of "My life as a Shrimper" arrive at my office, 3500 miles away from Southend in Abu Dhabi, so I closed the door and took the day off. I've really enjoyed what I've read so far - a mere preview doesn't do it justice so I would wholeheartedly recommend this book to all Shrimpers, particularly anyone with a passing interest in what Dave the Shrimper was like when he was 11: "my son was growing fast and devoloping a lively personality...." Top read all round, get it bought!

Blues Serendipity?

This morning I had a copy of "My life as a Shrimper" arrive at my office, 3500 miles away from Southend in Abu Dhabi, so I closed the door and took the day off. I've really enjoyed what I've read so far - a mere preview doesn't do it justice so I would wholeheartedly recommend this book to all Shrimpers,Top read all round, get it bought!

My copy of the book arrived here this morning in Sant Cugat(Barcelona)early this morning too and like Desert Shrimper I've spent most of the day reading and enjoying it rather than working.
I'm (a little) older than the author and know (or knew) a few people he mentions in the introduction as friends during his teenage years.
As a fellow exile I'm also familiar with the pain of missing some of our biggest games over the years but I've still managed to see many of the games described since the 60's.
A thoroughly enjoyable read.Highly recommended!

Last edited:
Well have you paid for it?!?!

You might have though I would have got a freebie but no such luck.

Seems proft comes before blood in some peoples eyes !!!!!!

( I have been promised my copy for the Hereford game and will soon be renaming myself Son of DoDtS.

You might have though I would have got a freebie but no such luck.

Seems proft comes before blood in some peoples eyes !!!!!!

( I have been promised my copy for the Hereford game and will soon be renaming myself Son of DoDtS.

Cough up you tight git!

Pete's book has been a runaway success with not only Zone members but SUFC supporters in general...We are nearly out of stock of the original print run and with Xmas in the not to distant future will be sorting a second print run. For those that have not yet purchased this excellent read and wish to, may I suggest you get your orders in ASAP.

Pete's book has been a runaway success with not only Zone members but SUFC supporters in general...We are nearly out of stock of the original print run and with Xmas in the not to distant future will be sorting a second print run. For those that have not yet purchased this excellent read and wish to, may I suggest you get your orders in ASAP.

John,
Don't forget I'll collect mine from you next Friday. Cheers mate.

I will be taking the last few copies to the Spread this Friday if anybody is interested in purchasing one let me know please.

John.

Hmm might have to order a copy for my Dad as I know he would like to read this. Then I can nick it off him once he has finished.

Birthday prez?

My copy of the book arrived here this morning in Sant Cugat(Barcelona)early this morning too and like Desert Shrimper I've spent most of the day reading and enjoying it rather than working.
I'm (a little) older than the author and know (or knew) a few people he mentions in the introduction as friends during his teenage years.
As a fellow exile I'm also familiar with the pain of missing some of our biggest games over the years but I've still managed to see many of the games described since the 60's.
A thoroughly enjoyable read.Highly recommended!

Hey bro'- this is my debut offering on SZ, so thought it apt to reply to one of your hits... this sounds pretty fine, I wonder if it might be coming Penzance way in a few weeks? Don't want to spoil any surprise(s), but...
ATB, 'Shrimpero'

<Hey bro'- this is my debut offering on SZ, so thought it apt to reply to one of your hits... this sounds pretty fine, I wonder if it might be coming Penzance way in a few weeks? Don't want to spoil any surprise(s), but...
ATB, 'Shrimpero'<

Shrimpero,
You'll have to check with Richard Cunningham-I lent him my copy of the book when you came over to Barna for the Andorra game in September.I told RC to pass it on to you when he'd finished.You know what slow readers some of these ex-Grammar school boys are!
I believe he's also on the Zone somtimes but no idea what his monicker is I'm afraid.

Back