• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Save our Southend Protest Confirmed

I also would like to see clarity on the protest objective. I do not care if it's Ron Martin or anybody else in charge of SUFC. I don't know him and I'm not bothered to know him.

I just want to see Southend United run properly. That is with a CEO in place, with a clear plan, vision and process for what we want to achieve in the next season and the next 3-5 seasons. I want us to have a budget and stick to it, to stay out of the courts and to not have embargos.

If Ron Martin can deliver the above, he is fine. If he cannot or will not deliver this, then we have an issue. I understand and agree with the viewpoint that he has already significantly failed on this.

However, at this stage, chanting 'Martin out', 'sell the club' etc. is a totally different message and protest objective to 'run the club properly'. Which is it going to be?

I also would like to see clarity on the protest objective. I do not care if it's Ron Martin or anybody else in charge of SUFC. I don't know him and I'm not bothered to know him.

I just want to see Southend United run properly. That is with a CEO in place, with a clear plan, vision and process for what we want to achieve in the next season and the next 3-5 seasons. I want us to have a budget and stick to it, to stay out of the courts and to not have embargos.

If Ron Martin can deliver the above, he is fine. If he cannot or will not deliver this, then we have an issue. I understand and agree with the viewpoint that he has already significantly failed on this.

However, at this stage, chanting 'Martin out', 'sell the club' etc. is a totally different message and protest objective to 'run the club properly'. Which is it going to be?

But he's had plenty of opportunity to run the club properly, and has failed miserably. It's all been about the stadium and his big pay day. He has no intention at present of installing a CEO (his own words), but I would guess he either can't afford one or just doesn't want anybody else to know how his companies operate.

How much time do you want to give him ? another 5 years, when we play Great Wakering Rovers, Southend Manor etc in the league ?

Last edited:
As to your first point, yes things still go ahead, nothing changes the fact the club has been in our view and many mismanaged. Things should not be allowed to be glossed over because we managed to stay in the league

As long as the message is clear then yes I agree bang on, if not at detriment to players on a big day then I'm all in.

Its about time to use this momentum to finally see some consistent and significant change in the way the club is run day to day.

Well done to yourself TB and all others involved.

All southend til we die ay

I agree, and I think it's even more important to be protesting behind a set of clear objectives and requests that we have of Ron.

I don't think it's realistic or practical to ask Ron to sell up, it's a non-starter. I don't think the grass is greener necessarily.

I do think it's realistic to ask Ron to commit to a CEO and to commit to a financial plan that avoids us facing winding up orders, embargoes etc. It's these things that have hamstrung us, more than Ron's ego or poor choices in hiring/firing.

I think it's good that people protested this weekend, Ron won't be under any illusions that we find his management of the club acceptable. I think now we need to go to Ron with a clear set of requests and have the direct action as a threat for if he doesn't follow through.

Unfortunately, Ron has the upper hand. We're not in the stands, we've had the hiccup this weekend with Stan, and we're fragmented and probably coming across as disorganised and a bit desperate. Ron did a classic powermove with Stan by delaying the call to this week, that is a textbook play whether it's big business or a mafia business.

Likewise, Ron has delayed a proper statement to the fans until 'the end of the season'... he's stringing us along because he knows that we could turn to infighting and the energy will wane over the next week or two. Last week was emotion and desperation and now we need slightly cooler heads and a more strategic play because Ron knows what he's doing when it comes to disgruntled people.

So we absolutely have to come up with 2 or 3 important requests, and we have to threaten direct action if we don't get them.

I agree, and I think it's even more important to be protesting behind a set of clear objectives and requests that we have of Ron.

I don't think it's realistic or practical to ask Ron to sell up, it's a non-starter. I don't think the grass is greener necessarily.

I do think it's realistic to ask Ron to commit to a CEO and to commit to a financial plan that avoids us facing winding up orders, embargoes etc. It's these things that have hamstrung us, more than Ron's ego or poor choices in hiring/firing.

I think it's good that people protested this weekend, Ron won't be under any illusions that we find his management of the club acceptable. I think now we need to go to Ron with a clear set of requests and have the direct action as a threat for if he doesn't follow through.

Unfortunately, Ron has the upper hand. We're not in the stands, we've had the hiccup this weekend with Stan, and we're fragmented and probably coming across as disorganised and a bit desperate. Ron did a classic powermove with Stan by delaying the call to this week, that is a textbook play whether it's big business or a mafia business.

Likewise, Ron has delayed a proper statement to the fans until 'the end of the season'... he's stringing us along because he knows that we could turn to infighting and the energy will wane over the next week or two. Last week was emotion and desperation and now we need slightly cooler heads and a more strategic play because Ron knows what he's doing when it comes to disgruntled people.

So we absolutely have to come up with 2 or 3 important requests, and we have to threaten direct action if we don't get them.

Using your analogy of grass, how can it be less greener elsewhere, though ? Our grass is nearly dead. It just gets watered at the very last minute to stop it from dying, and we're running out of water with Ron at the helm.

I take your point, but he's already said he can't / won't commit to a CEO. If he can't afford one, then somebody needs to take over the finances of the club, if we want a CEO.

Using your analogy of grass, how can it be less greener elsewhere, though ? Our grass is nearly dead. It just gets watered at the very last minute to stop it from dying, and we're running out of water with Ron at the helm.

I take your point, but he's already said he can't / won't commit to a CEO. If he can't afford one, then somebody needs to take over the finances of the club, if we want a CEO.
I've followed Wigan since moving here and had a ST last season. The old owner had no interest in Wigan and allegedly gambled (or encouraged gambling) in Asian markets on the relegation of his own club after a poor start to the season. When the team pushed out of the relegation spots he stopped funding the club and they entered administration, which pretty much-guaranteed relation (although the club nearly fought out of the points deduction).

There are a lot of dodgy people out there (as we saw last week) who want to use football clubs for reason other than on the pitch success. I think Ron does want SUFC to do well, but it's not his primary motive.

If he won't pay for a CEO then we should force him to change his mind, a CEO will be expensive but so is changing management every season.

I've followed Wigan since moving here and had a ST last season. The old owner had no interest in Wigan and allegedly gambled (or encouraged gambling) in Asian markets on the relegation of his own club after a poor start to the season. When the team pushed out of the relegation spots he stopped funding the club and they entered administration, which pretty much-guaranteed relation (although the club nearly fought out of the points deduction).

There are a lot of dodgy people out there (as we saw last week) who want to use football clubs for reason other than on the pitch success. I think Ron does want SUFC to do well, but it's not his primary motive.

If he won't pay for a CEO then we should force him to change his mind, a CEO will be expensive but so is changing management every season.

How do you force someone to install a CEO, if they haven't the funds to do so ? (if that is the case)

Pleased to see that this is going ahead again. There may be questions to be asked but the absolute fact is that we cannot continue like this. They say that perfect preparation prevents poor performance and we've seen what little or no preparation does, as we're staring down the barrel of non-league football for the first time in our existence. If Ron stays on (likely) it's imperative that he seeks help to reduce almost all of his input, in footballing decisions.

How do you force someone to install a CEO, if they haven't the funds to do so ? (if that is the case)
You don't buy STs, don't go to games, don't buy shirts, and continue the noisy protest until he meets your demands. I think we'd benefit from listening to the Blackpool fans who've popped up on here.

I think Ron has the funds to do so, now that he can borrow against the development plans (and has other revenue streams I'm sure). He just doesn't want to spend that money, because to him it's money down the drain, he feels he can keep the club limping along. We know that one way to get the club run appropriately is to bring in a CEO who takes that responsibility, and disconnects Ron from the day-to-day club activities and enables him to focus on the development.

But he's had plenty of opportunity to run the club properly, and has failed miserably. It's all been about the stadium and his big pay day. He has no intention at present of installing a CEO (his own words), but I would guess he either can't afford one or just doesn't want anybody else to know how his companies operate.

How much time do you want to give him ? another 5 years, when we play Great Wakering Rovers, Southend Manor etc in the league ?
Hard to put a timescale on it, but something like 3 months would be enough. Nobody is saying we need to wait years.

As Pubey said, the 'unofficial' protest on the weekend was a useful starting point. However the 'official' protest group(s) need to go through this in a sequential manner, to go through steps to try enact change with Ron at first and keep the 'Martin out' demands in hand as the final step if he does not provide, or commit to providing, what we need to be well-run.

Wasn't one of the things mentioned about Saturdays demonstration was that it was "spontaneous" and hence the police would not disperse/issue fines? How can the same still apply to this one?

If Ron turns around a says that he can't afford a CEO or guarantee the income necessary to enable us to compete in NL then we'll need him to commit to outside investment.
Well he’s not said he can’t afford a CEO, he has said on video that he is waiting to appoint one all this while Rome burns! And then has the cheek to moan that he is tired and working 22 hours a day! As I said to Ron on zoom help yourself Ron and get someone in.

Back