• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

psss  "GO TO GRIMSBY"   PASS IT ON !!

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Katecat @ April 22 2005,11:26)]I take it you're not going to Oxford? Now that's a journey!

smile.gif
Well, I've got tickets, just need to get there now!

Been looking at that today and that one's pretty shoddy too. Having done the Loughborough to Portsmouth journey enough times, I know how easy it is by road cos I saw the sign for it every time!

Bloody trains

mad.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Matt the Shrimp @ April 22 2005,11:18)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (sufcintheprem @ April 22 2005,11:07)]Sadly, I think this one could be a bridge too far for me.  Train journey looks to be about 4 hours waiting for 43 minutes in Lincoln and a further 43 minutes in Grimsby.  Can it really be that far between platforms??
Huh?  From Lufbra
Now I know I said I wasn't posting due to the "you can't suggest dropping Gower as you haven't played at Premiersh*te level so therefore know nothing about footbal!" attitude of some last week.  Tell that to Tilly now then!  Strange how they've all been so quiet this week!  
mad.gif
 But this is different.

sufcintheprem, if you do get stuck for the Grimsby game & don't mind travelling with an old git.  I'm diving at Stoney Cove that weekend, which is about 25 miles south of Lufbra.  So I'll be going up & back to Grimsby from there, but don't know yet what time I'll be able to get away as my fellow divers are away in Gozo at the moment.  I should be able to sort it out on Wednesday, but can't rule out a mad last minute dash at the moment.  If all else fails, you'd be welcome to a lift.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (sufcintheprem @ April 22 2005,11:57)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Katecat @ April 22 2005,11:26)]I take it you're not going to Oxford? Now that's a journey!

smile.gif

Been looking at that today and that one's pretty shoddy too.
* Train from Loughborough (10:54) to Leicester (11:08)
* Direct coach from Leicester (11:30) to Oxford (14:05)
* Return direct coach from Oxford (19:20) to Leicester (21:15)
* Return train from Leicester (21:44) to Loughborough (21:56)

Total cost: £14.80 (coach) + £2.30 (train) + £2.80 (bus in Oxford) = £19.90.

Total journey times aren't too bad - 3h10m going, and 2h35m coming back, in terms of the Intercity travel.

In Leicester itself, the train and bus stations look about 10-15 minutes' walk apart in the City Centre, so that should be do-able within the time scale. The red blob above the arrow on this map ought to be the coach station (though check when you get to Leicester); the train station is the red blob on the black line to the right of the page.

Leicester City Centre - Map

You'll need to get a bus from Oxford City Centre to the Kassam. It's a 5B Stagecoach bus from Queen Street. If you look at this map, the arrow is pointing at Gloucester Green; Queen Street is about 4cm below it on the page (c. 6-7 minutes' walk).

Oxford City Centre - Map

The 5B leaves Queen St at 14:20 hrs and should get you to an area called Greater Leys for about 14:40 hrs. It's about 5 minutes' walk to the stadium for there - but ask the bus driver when you get on to tell you when to get off (and give you directions).

You can get the 5A or the 5B back after the game - buses are at 17:16, 17:50 and 18:21. Plenty of pubs and snack places in the centre of town to head to before you catch the coach back.

Return bus fare should be c. £2.80.

Right, see you tomorrow...!

biggrin.gif

Matt

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Hooly @ April 22 2005,12:01)]sufcintheprem, if you do get stuck for the Grimsby game & don't mind travelling with an old git. I'm diving at Stoney Cove that weekend, which is about 25 miles south of Lufbra. So I'll be going up & back to Grimsby from there, but don't know yet what time I'll be able to get away as my fellow divers are away in Gozo at the moment. I should be able to sort it out on Wednesday, but can't rule out a mad last minute dash at the moment. If all else fails, you'd be welcome to a lift.
Very generous offer, thanks Hooly, although I may yet persuade others to go with me so I'd best keep the train option open.

As long as I can do there and back on about the three hour mark, I can handle that!

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Kent Shrimper @ April 22 2005,16:42)]Hows everyone else getting to grimsby? and is the plan to go back to Southend and celebrate the night away?
We are going up on the bike, staying in a hotel 2 miles from the ground, cabbing it to the game so we can have a beer straight after.......

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Matt the Shrimp @ April 22 2005,12:59)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (sufcintheprem @ April 22 2005,11:57)]
[b said:

smile.gif

Been looking at that today and that one's pretty shoddy too.
* Train from Loughborough (10:54) to Leicester (11:08)
* Direct coach from Leicester (11:30) to Oxford (14:05)
* Return direct coach from Oxford (19:20) to Leicester (21:15)
* Return train from Leicester (21:44) to Loughborough (21:56)

Total cost: £14.80 (coach) + £2.30 (train) + £2.80 (bus in Oxford) = £19.90.

Total journey times aren't too bad - 3h10m going, and 2h35m coming back, in terms of the Intercity travel.

In Leicester itself, the train and bus stations look about 10-15 minutes' walk apart in the City Centre, so that should be do-able within the time scale. The red blob above the arrow on this map ought to be the coach station (though check when you get to Leicester); the train station is the red blob on the black line to the right of the page.

Leicester City Centre - Map

You'll need to get a bus from Oxford City Centre to the Kassam. It's a 5B Stagecoach bus from Queen Street. If you look at this map, the arrow is pointing at Gloucester Green; Queen Street is about 4cm below it on the page (c. 6-7 minutes' walk).

Oxford City Centre - Map

The 5B leaves Queen St at 14:20 hrs and should get you to an area called Greater Leys for about 14:40 hrs. It's about 5 minutes' walk to the stadium for there - but ask the bus driver when you get on to tell you when to get off (and give you directions).

You can get the 5A or the 5B back after the game - buses are at 17:16, 17:50 and 18:21. Plenty of pubs and snack places in the centre of town to head to before you catch the coach back.

Return bus fare should be c. £2.80.

Right, see you tomorrow...!

biggrin.gif

Matt
Or....

Convince the parents to go to the game and hop on a lift with them to Luton. Back before 9.

Where's that :Phew: smiley gone...

If its any help I shall be catching the 1000 from Kings X entering the buffet car at 1005 change doncaster arrive cleethorpes 1256. Find nearest pub arrive ground 2.55.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (prittlewellshrimper @ April 21 2005,22:45)]Lets aim to take at least 5,000 yes at least five thousand to roar the boys home on the last day of the season.
5,000?! Blundell Park can only cater for 2,200 and, in any case, it would be extremely unlikely that we would take that many. After all, only 1,700 went to Bury in 1991, even though it was common knowledge that history could be made ...

WS

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Xàbia Shrimper @ April 22 2005,19:54)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (prittlewellshrimper @ April 21 2005,22:45)]Lets aim to take at least 5,000 yes at least five thousand to roar the boys home on the last day of the season.
5,000?! Blundell Park can only cater for 2,200 and, in any case, it would be extremely unlikely that we would take that many. After all, only 1,700 went to Bury in 1991, even though it was common knowledge that history could be made ...

WS
Yes, 5,000 is pushing it a tad! However, as there will be something riding on the Grimsby game I'm sure we'll take the full 2,200.

Away support this season has been much bigger than 90/91 so I don't think that's a fair comporaison. Back in 90/91 I can't recall us taking much more than 500 away apart from the odd game (eg Orient, Bury and Bournmouth). This season we've had 2,200 at Cambridge, 1,900 today at Oxford and 1,000+ at both Wycombe and Northampton. Even had 599 mid-week at Macclesfield of all places.

Having said that, increased away support is not neccesarily a good thing as we witnessed today with the mindless hangers-on. Give me an away win at some bleak northern outpost with 200 Blues there any day!

Back