• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Pubs

Shame, good size and shape bars, proper pub feel to the place.
However last time I was in there, early last year, the place did seem run down and had a certain smell which was not pub like, and not pleasant.
With no outside space it would struggle in these uncertain times for sure.

The last time I went there (Aug., 2019), I saw that it had a well-sized garden when I went the wrong way looking for the bogs.

A friend who runs a pre Covid very successful pub tells me the brewery are planning to keep restrictions in place until Dec 2022. Thats another 20 months. With Tables limited to two hours and shut at 9.pm. Masks to go to the toilet or walk through the bar, she thinks it will be the end for many pubs....Best get out and enjoy your favourites, You may never get the chance again.

A friend who runs a pre Covid very successful pub tells me the brewery are planning to keep restrictions in place until Dec 2022. Thats another 20 months. With Tables limited to two hours and shut at 9.pm. Masks to go to the toilet or walk through the bar, she thinks it will be the end for many pubs....Best get out and enjoy your favourites, You may never get the chance again.

I work in a pub and also for a brewery. The brewery has had very good orders and we are talking to most of our customer's this week, to see if they require any more beer. As most think this is very dependant on the weather. Regards how many people will come. Most pubs are NOT doing bookings with a time limit.

However the Micro bar i work for are doing very similar to the above, but are reviewing once a week with a fuller review when the restrictions are lifted to allow inside drinking.
I would be amazed if most pubs close at 9.p.m. when we are allowed inside and the weather gets warmer.

Not that I frequent the place but The Half Crown in Benfleet has had bin bags taped over the windows for months.

Have they redecorated or has the place closed it's doors for good?

Wonder if the weather will stop people having a pint outside? Notice it’s snowed up in London and other places. I’ll give the Elms a swerve! Assuming it’s open. Guess it will be.

Wonder if the weather will stop people having a pint outside? Notice it’s snowed up in London and other places. I’ll give the Elms a swerve! Assuming it’s open. Guess it will be.
Giving any weatherspoons outlet a swerve is a good policy, a pint outside the Mayflower or Billet will always be better, likely 50p dearer but worth the extra.

Giving any weatherspoons outlet a swerve is a good policy, a pint outside the Mayflower or Billet will always be better, likely 50p dearer but worth the extra.

I quite like some of the nicer Wetherspoons. The food is OK for the money and you can always get a decent beer although I understand the quality of their cask beers can be variable.

What I really don't like are all the fruit machines.

Or the Broker! (Plugging my local haha). But yeah can certainly see the appeal of the two you mention, when they aren’t rammed full. The old town in decent weather can be too busy for my liking!

I work in a pub and also for a brewery. The brewery has had very good orders and we are talking to most of our customer's this week, to see if they require any more beer. As most think this is very dependant on the weather. Regards how many people will come. Most pubs are NOT doing bookings with a time limit.

However the Micro bar i work for are doing very similar to the above, but are reviewing once a week with a fuller review when the restrictions are lifted to allow inside drinking.
I would be amazed if most pubs close at 9.p.m. when we are allowed inside and the weather gets warmer.

I would also be amazed if pubs tried to continue with such stupid rules but some will no doubt,under orders from the brewery. Who exactly comes up with such nonsense is a mystery but after two trips to the Crown in Rayleigh back in about September. They are now crossed of my list as they seemed to enjoy going out of their way to spoil an already spoilt experience.

Or the Broker! (Plugging my local haha). But yeah can certainly see the appeal of the two you mention, when they aren’t rammed full. The old town in decent weather can be too busy for my liking!

It's the quality of punter that concerns me.

I used to work in the Billet in the mid 90s and it was much nicer back then - maybe everywhere was...

Last edited:
Back