• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Pubs

Watneys Red Barrel must take credit for the sale of bottled light ales going through the roof in the 70's, that much forgotten light and bitter in pubs is now almost non existant, a true hero rescuing many a flat Red Barrel from being lobed through the public bar window opening.
A light and bitter, for sure the forgotten pint.
Some of the old ales were awful.

I remember starting underage pub life on Ben Trueman, as my older cousin drank it. Some would have a Ben and light, especially as you could get more than a pint by having the two.

Remember an old quip querying the difference between a pint of Ben and a dead frog ... with the frog having more hops in it. Having said that, their Truman Tap was alright - remember being on it before one of the Feelgoods gigs at Xmas over on Canvey in the late 70s.

Awful beer,Colt 45.
Many moons ago,i was invited to an American army base ,here in Germany,by Yank soldiers.
I went to their PX(i think its called).Everything there was YANK,home from home.
You even paid in Dollars!!
Well i thought,being in mini-USA..i would have an American beer...
THe whole bar looked at me shocked..."hey man,nobody here drinks that American s$$t,we all drink German beer" So i think that sums up most beer from the USA

I quite liked Colt 45 , shame you can not get it now .
Would it be the same?
For example, In Australia, in 1980s, I really liked fosters, 4x and tooeys BUT the versions made in UK aren't the same, different water and such.
Colt was, for me okay when really cold but lots of places back then sold it at room temp which wasn't good.

Would it be the same?
For example, In Australia, in 1980s, I really liked fosters, 4x and tooeys BUT the versions made in UK aren't the same, different water and such.
Colt was, for me okay when really cold but lots of places back then sold it at room temp which wasn't good.

Same as drinking a pint of Guinness in Dublin, & having one over here at most pubs?

Same as drinking a pint of Guinness in Dublin, & having one over here at most pubs?
That is like comparing horses and cows, SO different.
I have not been to Dublin but the Guinness at Tralee out west was smooth, silky and a joy to sup.
However the payback is that once had in it's true magic, then having it in the UK is too often a disappointment thereafter.

That is like comparing horses and cows, SO different.
I have not been to Dublin but the Guinness at Tralee out west was smooth, silky and a joy to sup.
However the payback is that once had in it's true magic, then having it in the UK is too often a disappointment thereafter.
Back in the 80s The Peter Boat used to do the best Guinness around 'even better than The Plough' , I used to work down the Old Town at the time , I used to walk up to The Peter Boat from the direction of The Billet . When Ron or Lol saw me start walking across the car park they would put my glass under the Guinness tap so by the time I walked upto the bar I had a perfect pint of Guinness waiting for me .

Looks like the Railway Hotel in Southend has closed down, according to the Echo!
Shame, good size and shape bars, proper pub feel to the place.
However last time I was in there, early last year, the place did seem run down and had a certain smell which was not pub like, and not pleasant.
With no outside space it would struggle in these uncertain times for sure.

Back