• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Pubs

I used to work in the Grand as a 'potman' when i were a lad in the 80's usually on a friday and saturday night when it was busy.....my old dad used to work there too.
Had four seperate Bars and the Off license.......
Public bar back left....regulars card schools , fights etc.
'Kids' bar , front left.....students juke box, space invaders , vomit etc
Piano bar , back right.....older 'normal' people
lounge bar front right.....younger 'normal' people

Happy Days
And upstairs for the music

i remember as a little lad,going to school at north street,walking often past that pub...some of the time was a ROLLS ROYCE parked outside.Always ,we went and looked in it,thinking WOW..the worlds best motor.The geezer is either really,really rich..or one of the KRAYS

I've got in the back of my mind a very well dressed man with a tache welcoming punters in to the grand in the late 70s. Either the owner at the time or the licensee. i think he had a Roller. Mind you i might be dreaming this.

Another vote for The Cork & Cheese, used to be our go to after work on a Friday night. Ran by another Miller, was it Paul? Went off to live in Le Touquet in the end.

A word about the sad state of affairs in Hadleigh - The Crown has finally been demolished and we currently have no pub open in Hadleigh at all. The Waggon & Horses - which was a great place for a Young Blue Lady to be, as it was staggering distance to home - went years ago and was replaced by retirement flats. The Castle closed in March and was planning to re-open, finally, on 4th November, it's a **** hole at the best of times. The Bread & Cheese doesn't look as if it's going to ever re-open and seems destined to become another block of flats along that A13 corridor. Not counting The Woodmans as it's Thundersley - but it leaves us just with Fatty's bar.
What was Fattys Bar previously called?
It was a very busy place in the 1980s, and had lots of American type beers, first place to sell Budweiser in town? Used to get rammed, then off to burger place along London Road afterwards.

It was a very busy place in the 1980s, and had lots of American type beers, first place to sell Budweiser in town? Used to get rammed, then off to burger place along London Road afterwards.

I don't remember, never been in it - all the pubs were pretty busy in the 80s, people drank at home much less.

Cherry Tree, Victory, ****? A bit off centre but 2 decades ago they would have been more pub than eateries. Is Miley dog friendly mate?

No the Miley is not dog friendly, inside but you can sit outside with a dog. Cheery Tree is very foodie!!

Last edited:
No the Miley is not dog friendly, inside but you can sit outside with a dog. Cheery Tree is very foodie!!
With places like Cherry Tree and Coc k, then having a separate, small if desired, public bar would keep it a pub rather than a licenced diner.
The pub in Church End Paglesham was okay, a good fire in winter. Shame it went as it did.

Was it Spencers ? Had a rare 1am licence. Burger place was Rapid eats?....People would drive over from Rayleigh as it was better than the burger van at the Wier....Then Georgie Porgies kebab house opened up opposite Crocs in about 83/84.

Was it Spencers ? Had a rare 1am licence. Burger place was Rapid eats?....People would drive over from Rayleigh as it was better than the burger van at the Wier....Then Georgie Porgies kebab house opened up opposite Crocs in about 83/84.
Spencer's! Of course, yes, and Rapid Eats, as good as Billy Bears near the Cricketers.

I used to work in the Grand as a 'potman' when i were a lad in the 80's usually on a friday and saturday night when it was busy.....my old dad used to work there too.
Had four seperate Bars and the Off license.......
Public bar back left....regulars card schools , fights etc.
'Kids' bar , front left.....students juke box, space invaders , vomit etc
Piano bar , back right.....older 'normal' people
lounge bar front right.....younger 'normal' people

Happy Days
Cards room at the back - liquor in the front, poker in the rear.

Another vote for The Cork & Cheese, used to be our go to after work on a Friday night. Ran by another Miller, was it Paul? Went off to live in Le Touquet in the end.

A word about the sad state of affairs in Hadleigh - The Crown has finally been demolished and we currently have no pub open in Hadleigh at all. The Waggon & Horses - which was a great place for a Young Blue Lady to be, as it was staggering distance to home - went years ago and was replaced by retirement flats. The Castle closed in March and was planning to re-open, finally, on 4th November, it's a **** hole at the best of times. The Bread & Cheese doesn't look as if it's going to ever re-open and seems destined to become another block of flats along that A13 corridor. Not counting The Woodmans as it's Thundersley - but it leaves us just with Fatty's bar.
Isn’t the Castle one of those chain restaurant places now? Not a pub as such, shame as the location is ideal and like you say no decent pubs in Hadleigh any more.

Back