• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Pubs

Isn’t the Castle one of those chain restaurant places now? Not a pub as such, shame as the location is ideal and like you say no decent pubs in Hadleigh any more.

Where there any in the first place?

Yes that was Andy who's children went on to own lots of the pubs in Leigh. I believe his mum and dad started it with the Guildford. The Jubilee would have hundreds of people on a Tuesday night in the summer, with many going on to Rains after the pub. Several Rayleigh teams would be in there for the magical 2 hours swill evert Sunday lunch time. Great rivalry and great fun.

Went on several lads holidays with Jubilee regulars who all knew each other through school or football. We peaked in 1987 with a squad of 27 to Rhodes. We met in the Jubilee and had a coach to Gatwick.
Jubilee used to be rammed on a Tuesday in late eighties/ early nineties.
I recall a brilliant barmaid who could remember huge rounds. If you didn’t ask for all your drinks in one go she just moved to the next person and didn’t serve you. Same era Sunday evenings at the windmill at haningfield were great

I recall a brilliant barmaid who could remember huge rounds. If you didn’t ask for all your drinks in one go she just moved to the next person and didn’t serve you. Same era Sunday evenings at the windmill at haningfield were great

I used to go to The Windmill on Sunday evenings in the early 90s.

The Zach? In Benfleet was another such pub on the "in" circuit for out with my mates. With the gf it was a different set of places, Cleaseau's, country pubs, wine bar in Milton Road opposite Jessops, pub eatery Lodge? At The Grove Rayleigh?

Clouseau's was rough as ****.
It certainly went that way but when it first opened circa 1979? It was good. It was often busy upstairs as well as ground floor. Drop of leibfraumilch? Black tower, blue Nun, mateus rose, bulls blood.
Not a pinot or malbec to be found.

The Zach? In Benfleet was another such pub on the "in" circuit for out with my mates. With the gf it was a different set of places, Cleaseau's, country pubs, wine bar in Milton Road opposite Jessops, pub eatery Lodge? At The Grove Rayleigh?

The Zach Willsher is another awful boozer.

Little bit off topic but regards Pubs.
This lockdown the rules state that Pubs, Brewery's etc cant sell alocoholic drinks as take aways unlike the first lockdown, when we could.
So everyone can buy National brands at Supermarkets etc, but not even beer in a sealed container from a pub. Madness.
I urge you to contact your M.P. to say it does not add up. It will drive more pubs out of business.

I used to go to The Windmill on Sunday evenings in the early 90s.
There was a guy who used to go to the jubilee Tuesday and windmill Sunday. I didn’t know him but he had a stunning gf and a lotus esprit so obviously we were all jealous. One night at the windmill he pulled out of car park lost control and hit the wall opposite. The engine cover flew into the air Andrew he turned off his lights and drove off with every one ****ing themselves.

I shouldn’t laugh as I put my Xr2 into a ditch leaving there one night. (1988) and it had to be reshelled as there was a crease in the roof ☹️. I should have argued for it to be written off and I would have got a new car ( it was only 11 months old) but I didn’t know you could argue that you wouldn’t feel safe with it being repaired.

What an odd coincidence, the Castle at Hadleigh and the Castle on Eastern Esplanade, Cromer Road both closed, both similar food (cheap and lower quality reheats) with poor beer closed.

The Castle on Eastern Esplanade is still open for now. It is up for sale and probably wont last this lockdown.

Dirty Dicks,opposite Liverpool st station.
I know its still there,but bring back how it was in the 70s-80s.
It was always worth a visit coming back from a Blues away game. Bloody H&S killed the pub.Im sure anyone who went there then and now would say the same
Used to work just down the road from there in the 60s but lunchtime favourite was The Ship in Artillery Lane off Bishopsgate. Not so many city types as DDs, bar billiards table, four pints at 2/6d each then back to work.

Back