• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Very true unfortunately.

I can only see further financial struggles ahead next season. Unless we are top 7 for the majority of it...

Andif we have a good season, these fans who state they will not go as long as Ron is at the helm will come back

And am sure be the first to moan/kick off if we got a good cup draw and they dont get ticket(s)

I'm one, who now doesn't enjoy watching Southend anymore, I go through habit and the need to talk bollox with my mates, watching them play is painfull.
I just wonder when I'll enjoy it again, soon I hope but I'm not holding my breath.

please someone take us out of the mess, as i fear the end of the club is very near, that is of course unless your one of the disciples on here like esb, yorkshire blue, firestome, dwb fbm jam man old blue rinse or beefy. then we are world beaters and eveyone else is wrong

wake up and smell the roses we are ****ed and going down the tube

Not that it's a competition but I suspect that we're far more ****ed than you do and have been saying it for a very long time.

The difference is that you seem to think it's all one person's fault and that if we get rid of him then everything will be brilliant again. I think we're proper ****ed no matter who is in charge.

Not that it's a competition but I suspect that we're far more ****ed than you do and have been saying it for a very long time.

The difference is that you seem to think it's all one person's fault and that if we get rid of him then everything will be brilliant again. I think we're proper ****ed no matter who is in charge.

I'm in total agreement with you here, except for one part. If Martin looked for outside investment, we could/should be a lot steadier than we are right now.

I'm not talking about someone coming in and pumping millions in, but just to keep us above the breadline, and give us the funds to add to the team.

I'm in total agreement with you here, except for one part. If Martin looked for outside investment, we could/should be a lot steadier than we are right now.

I'm not talking about someone coming in and pumping millions in, but just to keep us above the breadline, and give us the funds to add to the team.

But as has been said on here before, at the moment, we're not a prospective investment at all because there's no prospect of return whatsoever. RM could well have been looking for investment as he has done with Sainsburys, but without a guaranteed return then it's highly unlikely that anybody's going to put the money forward.

As soon as work starts on FF/RonWorld, then the prospect of return on investment looks incredibly more likely and there's a likelihood of interested parties again.

This.

I'm all in favour of this but let's be honest here, it's not an investment we are looking for but a gift.

But as has been said on here before, at the moment, we're not a prospective investment at all because there's no prospect of return whatsoever. RM could well have been looking for investment as he has done with Sainsburys, but without a guaranteed return then it's highly unlikely that anybody's going to put the money forward.

As soon as work starts on FF/RonWorld, then the prospect of return on investment looks incredibly more likely and there's a likelihood of interested parties again.

I'm all in favour of this but let's be honest here, it's not an investment we are looking for but a gift.

I see what you's are saying, and yes, fair play you both make good points, but I fail to believe (maybe it's my scepticism) that there's nobody, who'd get on board given half the chance.

Truthfully, do you believe that Martin would even look/be interested in investors? I don't.

RM may well seek investment in the FF Scheme, he was a few years ago before the credit crunch.

FF will be of some interest to investors as they can work out what levels of return they should be getting.

However i can not see SUFC being a viable investment for anyone, to be honest you would struggle to get your investment back over a realistic period, let alone any return

Even the consortium , who were SUFC fans, said that they would not be putting in anything other than to clear the non RM debt and then run the club self sufficiently. their investment would have been into FF

I see what you's are saying, and yes, fair play you both make good points, but I fail to believe (maybe it's my scepticism) that there's nobody, who'd get on board given half the chance.

Truthfully, do you believe that Martin would even look/be interested in investors? I don't.

I do, provided it was as a last resort or if the project's survival hinged upon fresh investment. I think it's fairly evident that RM's future rests on this one development. The finances are so intertwined that without Ron there's no project and without the project there's no Ron. It's in Ron's best interests to keep the project viable and if exterior finance was ultimately required, bearing in mind his livelihood rests on it, then I'd have thought he wouldn't be reluctant to negotiate.

Sainsburys were brought in at the end of last season to tide us over. IMO though, the discussion is moot until there's at least some possibility of a return on investment barring the emergence of a Saudi prince with a fondness for jellied eels.

RM may well seek investment in the FF Scheme, he was a few years ago before the credit crunch.

FF will be of some interest to investors as they can work out what levels of return they should be getting.

However i can not see SUFC being a viable investment for anyone, to be honest you would struggle to get your investment back over a realistic period, let alone any return

Even the consortium , who were SUFC fans, said that they would not be putting in anything other than to clear the non RM debt and then run the club self sufficiently. their investment would have been into FF

Apart from asking Cricko and I to lend him £70,000,000 and the banks going tits-up, Martin wanted no-one as private investors and this was told to a Zone member in an hour-long chat with a former employee who knew intimate secrets of the club. The word "greed" springs to mind as FF is his family's legacy.

I think we'd all be happy with that. I'd be more than happy for anyone to come in to either help RM or take over from him, so long as it gets the bills paid and keeps us stable. But at least until FF starts I don't see it as being likely.

And as I'm sure someone will ask why I think FF is important seeing as the Club isn't going to be getting money from the retail side, blah, blah, blah, it's because it provides something tangible to suggest that the Club has a future (even a future as a tenent in a three sided ground). Right now we're nowhere, with Sainsburys all but owning Roots Hall and FF seeming as far away as ever. If supporters who love the Club look at that situation and decide that they don't want to risk £350 on it then why would businessmen who don't love the Club write us cheques for much, much more?

I thought he was looking for banks such as Morgan Stanley to lend money. Lending money is of course different to bringing in other shareholders that would dilute shares.

Last edited:
I do, provided it was as a last resort or if the project's survival hinged upon fresh investment. I think it's fairly evident that RM's future rests on this one development. The finances are so intertwined that without Ron there's no project and without the project there's no Ron. It's in Ron's best interests to keep the project viable and if exterior finance was ultimately required, bearing in mind his livelihood rests on it, then I'd have thought he wouldn't be reluctant to negotiate.

Sainsburys were brought in at the end of last season to tide us over. IMO though, the discussion is moot until there's at least some possibility of a return on investment barring the emergence of a Saudi prince with a fondness for jellied eels.

You'd have thought many people might think as you suggest. So why did he not negotiate with the consortium?

Back