• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Question Quick Poll just to gauge things re: RH and FF

Would you rather stay at RH or move to FF

• Total voters
I voted for Roots Hall redevelopment. Don’t fancy FF never did and to my complete shame I haven’t got a clue what the third option ‘Bart’ actually means. It’s been in countless polls before but I’ve never taken the trouble to ask ??!

I remember Paul Merson saying "Let's face it Fratton Park is a dump". And he was playing there ay the time! Since that time the owner (American) has gradually and sympathetically refurbished the stadium....currently the 'Milton' end for visiting fans will be ready for the start of the season. The area around Fratton Park is not very different to Roots Hall. So the refurbishment is doable if the will is there from the owner with the necessary funds and the fans with patience.

Blimey, when I clicked stay at RH (re-developed) I thought I'd be one of the few. Very surprised to see the percentages massively in favour of staying. Perhaps most are just tired, fed up and don't believe it's ever going to happen at FF with Ron involved.
I think we've benefitted from having someone who knows what he's talking about in terms of feasibility and cost. I didn't think it was a runner until floating it last night but now a clear favourite for me.

This poll is indicative of how desperate we are to get rid of ron and just get back to playing football. Get back in the league. Have some fun.

I think we've benefitted from having someone who knows what he's talking about in terms of feasibility and cost. I didn't think it was a runner until floating it last night but now a clear favourite for me.
Spot on. Its astonishing to me just how suddenly happy i feel about the prospect of a fresh RH

Move to FF for me with the 22k plans. And Ron being nowhere near the place except as a paying customer. Don't want him as a landlord, or even as a tenant with the flats.

If thats unfeasible then Roots Hall it is (again with Ron not in the picture) and either redevelop the old girl or find another site (Kursaal or even the Seaway site if that's not getting off the ground)

I voted for Roots Hall redevelopment. Don’t fancy FF never did and to my complete shame I haven’t got a clue what the third option ‘Bart’ actually means. It’s been in countless polls before but I’ve never taken the trouble to ask ??!
That's fair, as it's a joke that hearkens back to almost twenty years ago, about a debate that rumbled on for a long time: Flavs (Darryl Flahavan) vs Bart (Bart Griemink) as who was the better keeper.

See this post for context.

Blimey, when I clicked stay at RH (re-developed) I thought I'd be one of the few. Very surprised to see the percentages massively in favour of staying. Perhaps most are just tired, fed up and don't believe it's ever going to happen at FF with Ron involved.
Me too! I think many now see FF as Ron's project and thus it's pretty toxic and don't want anything to do with it.

Where would we play our games whilst Roots Hall was being re-developed? Would be a massive job to do that up to a decent standard. Fear that would take longer than 1 summer to get done.
FF and then let RM find something to do with it 🤣

As much as a love RH and its location, it just doesn't seem sensible or viable for our long term sustainability to redevelop the RH site on prime land, which would probably be more expensive than building a typical modern stadium at FF, irrespective of the fact that there is also the potential for an enabling development to fund it.

If we had someone who was happy to waste £100m to transform the RH site into a modern ground then fine, but that doesn't seem very likely.

People say that "FF doesn't have any pubs", but we could stay at RH and still potentially lose the local pubs because that's the way the economy and drinking is going and the Spread/Blue Boar are struggling to stay afloat and a home game every two weeks for 10 months of teh season doesn't pay the (ever increasing) bills.

Instead what you want it for the modern FF stadium to have a really modern and cutting edge supporters club with flexible use for non-match days, plus a family zone for younger supports. Also an outdoor food-hall type area with temporary/pop-up food and bars (similar to Notts County) where you can have a pie and a pint outside before the match. People will still drink in town before or after the game but it enables a wider base of fans (including away fans) to have more opportunity to come together around the match, and the club, if sensible, can use it as a way to bring in revenue.

It's like saying a bar of cheese that's turned into gold or a bar of Silver. The cheese can never be gold. Roots hall is behond re development. Hence the question is irrelevant.

It's like saying a bar of cheese that's turned into gold or a bar of Silver. The cheese can never be gold. Roots hall is behond re development. Hence the question is irrelevant.
To be fair there is somebody on the forum who actually does this for a living who says it is possible. So with due respect i take his opinion over anyones on this matter.

As much as a love RH and its location, it just doesn't seem sensible or viable for our long term sustainability to redevelop the RH site on prime land, which would probably be more expensive than building a typical modern stadium at FF, irrespective of the fact that there is also the potential for an enabling development to fund it.

If we had someone who was happy to waste £100m to transform the RH site into a modern ground then fine, but that doesn't seem very likely.

People say that "FF doesn't have any pubs", but we could stay at RH and still potentially lose the local pubs because that's the way the economy and drinking is going and the Spread/Blue Boar are struggling to stay afloat and a home game every two weeks for 10 months of teh season doesn't pay the (ever increasing) bills.

Instead what you want it for the modern FF stadium to have a really modern and cutting edge supporters club with flexible use for non-match days, plus a family zone for younger supports. Also an outdoor food-hall type area with temporary/pop-up food and bars (similar to Notts County) where you can have a pie and a pint outside before the match. People will still drink in town before or after the game but it enables a wider base of fans (including away fans) to have more opportunity to come together around the match, and the club, if sensible, can use it as a way to bring in revenue.
First and foremost, if you were conducting a feasibility study for possible development sites right now, Fossetts Farm would be pretty low down on the list. It just isn't a good location.

The position that redevelopment of Roots Hall is financially unsustainable is just wrong. Portsmouth is about a good a parallel as you will get - in fact, the ground is significantly older and some areas were in significantly worse condition than Roots Hall.

Back