• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Question Quick Poll just to gauge things re: RH and FF

Would you rather stay at RH or move to FF

• Total voters
First and foremost, if you were conducting a feasibility study for possible development sites right now, Fossetts Farm would be pretty low down on the list. It just isn't a good location.

The position that redevelopment of Roots Hall is financially unsustainable is just wrong. Portsmouth is about a good a parallel as you will get - in fact, the ground is significantly older and some areas were in significantly worse condition than Roots Hall.
Portsmouth are in league 1 with an average gate of 3times ours at present.

It’s unsustainable because it leaves us with a significant debt and we’re loss making at present

Lots of clubs redevelop a stand at a time
Exactly, it's not that difficult, it's just RM who has convinced people that the only way possible was FF , a new over built east stand followed by the west stand over a few years, north stand stays as a more than adequate away stand, I'd change south stand lower to semi standing !

Surprised RH is winning by such a large margin.

Don't get me wrong, I love the place, it has so much character compared to modern stadiums, but let's face it: it's decrepit, is a safety hazard, parking is awful, facilities are poor and, I'm no expert, but I imagine it would be very difficult to redevelop to the standard required. It must be one of the oldest stadiums in the country, and it's showing.

We need a new stadium if the club is to progress and also attract new fans.

Portsmouth are in league 1 with an average gate of 3times ours at present.

It’s unsustainable because it leaves us with a significant debt and we’re loss making at present
Not sure how their average attendance correlates with the point that the redevelopment profiles of the two stadia are almost identical...

I voted for Roots Hall redevelopment. Don’t fancy FF never did and to my complete shame I haven’t got a clue what the third option ‘Bart’ actually means. It’s been in countless polls before but I’ve never taken the t
Surprised RH is winning by such a large margin.

Don't get me wrong, I love the place, it has so much character compared to modern stadiums, but let's face it: it's decrepit, is a safety hazard, parking is awful, facilities are poor and, I'm no expert, but I imagine it would be very difficult to redevelop to the standard required. It must be one of the oldest stadiums in the country, and it's showing.

We need a new stadium if the club is to progress and also attract new fans.

If others are like me, then we're voting for a new improved Roots Hall

I would want to stay at Roots Hall.
Redevelope the ground.

Turn the pitch round 90 degrees, so that the stands running down the side of the pitch would be where the north and south are currently.

We could use some of the car park for the ends behind the goals.

We have enough room at the hall to redevelope.

Once we are secure in Roots Hall and are free to develop it, we might be surprised at the interest it starts to get from multi-millionaire genuine football fans.

In the past, we have seen some very rich people redevelop grounds. Giving to the community can be personally rewarding to very rich people.

To be fair there is somebody on the forum who actually does this for a living who says it is possible. So with due respect i take his opinion over anyones on this matter.
A guy on this forum who takes delapedated football stadiums. Then he can miraculously polish them up all nice and shiny. And it all works out lovely. And he does this for a living? How many stadiums has he done?

A guy on this forum who takes delapedated football stadiums. Then he can miraculously polish them up all nice and shiny. And it all works out lovely. And he does this for a living? How many stadiums has he done?
Quite a few I think, but definitely Colchester’s new ground and currently Fratton Park.

Not sure how their average attendance correlates with the point that the redevelopment profiles of the two stadia are almost identical...
I never said they were different. I have little interest in the specific details of the fratton park redevelopment and will trust your expertise.

My point is that Portsmouth are a well run league club with a significant fan base and it makes sense that they look to redevelop their very old ground. They have a billionaire owner who is doing a good job and therefore they have access to the capital needed, along with the ability to pay for it over the longer term.

I think our situation is very different. We all believe in the potential of this club, but if the redevelopments are similar then i expect the costs are similar and for us it’d therefore be a much bigger risk, as we’re two leagues lower with hardly any assets and a smaller fanbase.

Probably too many to list on here, and that doesn't include all of the temporary venues we build on the likes of the Olympics, Wimbledon, T20 etc...

I never said they were different. I have little interest in the specific details of the fratton park redevelopment and will trust your expertise.

My point is that Portsmouth are a well run league club with a significant fan base and it makes sense that they look to redevelop their very old ground. They have a billionaire owner who is doing a good job and therefore they have access to the capital needed, along with the ability to pay for it over the longer term.

I think our situation is very different. We all believe in the potential of this club, but if the redevelopments are similar then i expect the costs are similar and for us it’d therefore be a much bigger risk, as we’re two leagues lower with hardly any assets and a smaller fanbase.

Indeed - the situations are very different at present, but there are really only two choices for a potential buyer.
Spend 'x' amount on FF or spend considerably less on revamping an asset they would own from day one (if I understand the latest proposal correctly).

Honestly, it doesn't matter how wealthy a football club owner might be - in my experience of dealing with Chairpeople/owners of non-league, league and PL Clubs alike, they are all linked by a strong desire to spend as little money for as much return as possible...

Quite a few I think, but definitely Colchester’s new ground and currently Fratton Park.
Colchester was a new stadium not a re vamp. Portsmouth wanted to move to a new stadium but we're forced to re vamp the ground because of location and council problems. Their ideal plan was to move and build houses on the original site.

Colchester was a new stadium not a re vamp. Portsmouth wanted to move to a new stadium but we're forced to re vamp the ground because of location and council problems. Their ideal plan was to move and build houses on the original site.
Would you like to share some of your ideas, as it sounds like you know more about my background than I do, so can only deduce from this that you are an industry professional...

If Luton town can play at Kenilworth road capacity 11k in the premier league and Bournemouth at Dean court capacity 10k then roots hall can be modernised into a 12-14k all seater no problem.

I'd take that all day long .

Back