• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Vange Shrimper

Mrs Rock God
So i've just done the deed of snapping all my cigarettes to pieces because I just can't be bothered with it anymore. It is also one of my resolutions to quit, so I though sod it, i'll start early. I know I've said in the past that I will quit, but I really mean it this time. I'm fed up of it and know it ain't doing me any good.

I'm also not going to turn into someone who goes off on one if someone wants to have a smoke in front of me. That's just hypocritical.

Does anyone have any tips or advice for someone who wants to quit? Any ex smokers on here, how have you managed to do it? I'm not going down the route of Nicorette/Niquitinel (sic), as i've tried them before, got bored of the lozenges, took them out of my mouth then had a fag instead, and also the patches are meant to give you as much nicotine as if you smoked 20 + a day and I didnt smoke that much.

Any advice (which'll help and no sarcastic comments) are most welcome.

Ta.

Hils.

Hils, it's about getting your head right. You have to want to do it. I gave up 6 years ago, with nicotinell patches for a month on prescription and then cold turkey from then. There are still times I crave one, but you have to get your mindset sorted. Give up when YOU want to, not cos it's NY or anything else.

It'll be 26 years on New Years Day since I gave up. At one stage I was smoking around 30 a day, more if I went for a drink, football or out socially. I had got it down to buying a pack of 20 every other day, but wanted to give up. I was fed up of my clothes etc smelling of smoke, my office and house smelling of smoke, and when I looked at an ash tray, ugh!!!

So I decided to give up without further ado, I smoked my last cigarette just before midnight on 31st December 1983 and gave the remainder of the pack to a mate, and I've not smoked a cigarette since. Even now I still have the urge for a ciggie when I am having a drink and I'll guess that will never go away.

IMO the secret is wanting to do it, if you're determined and want to do it you'll succeed. Again it's my opinion but you don't need artificial aids like gum, patches, plastic ciggies etc, all you need is willpower. Good luck Hils.

H

Yep, can only endorse whats been said on here "You need to want to do it" because in times of stress, its always a crutch to go back to. I smoked upwards of 40 a day at my height and it took its toll on my health. I went cold turkey(the best way in my oppinnion) because after the first few days it does get easier. That was sixteen years ago and I have ran 2 marathons and countless half marathons since so you do recover your health!

I do want to do it. I've just taken an Addiction Test on the NHS website and apparantly my addiction to fags is low, although I do smoke more after a drink, but doesn't everyone?

And is it just me that if you have a fag with booze, you feel more drunk compared to if you didnt smoke and drank?

I do want to do it. I've just taken an Addiction Test on the NHS website and apparantly my addiction to fags is low, although I do smoke more after a drink, but doesn't everyone?

And is it just me that if you have a fag with booze, you feel more drunk compared to if you didnt smoke and drank?

You cant beat the nhs in the help you get now, sign up and join up, use it or loose it.

Hils, it's about breaking the habit. So whenever were your habitual times for having a fag, change the circumstances. It's perfectly doable, just go for it.

You cant beat the nhs in the help you get now, sign up and join up, use it or loose it.

I have registered with them this evening. Should be getting one of those free packs through the post after xmas.

I should really put money aside that I would have spent on fags and see how much I rack up. That'll be interesting.

Hils, it's about breaking the habit. So whenever were your habitual times for having a fag, change the circumstances. It's perfectly doable, just go for it.

thats right ..,, no waking up,no tea .cofee,beer ,tv,sex,pubs,food,work,sufc,just alter the bits inbetween,sussed....

Never had that effect on me. I'd just smoke more as most of my mates were smokers and we'd smoke more socially than at other times.

Smoking killed my mum - gangrene in the bowel. Major arterial sclerosis. A horrid way to die.

At least you're married you won't have to worry about the ciggie after sex!

I hate smoking & have never smoked, so the only thing I can suggest is what my mum did when she gave up. She saved the money she would normally spend a day on cigarettes. Out of the money she bought a portable TV for my brother & I to share (we were kids at the time!) A fiver a day would soon pay for a 2nd honeymoon, driving lessons (or a car if you've passed!) a new TV, sofa or whatever you need. Liposuction might be paid for with it, as you will probably put weight on when you start, but don't let that put you off & get you back on the poison sticks!

Good luck!

Smoking killed my mum - gangrene in the bowel. Major arterial sclerosis. A horrid way to die.

Terrible, but even things like that don't stop people not even sons or daughters

Its ironic really for all my drinking and narcotic escapades I have never smoked, guess that means I wont die high on cannabis then :)

I gave up by reading the allen carr book(not the comic!) the easy way.You read the book and you can smoke while reading it and at the end hey presto you dont smoke anymore!.Worked for me,seven years now not one ciggie and not even a remote craving.It works by looking at the reasons why you smoke ie the addiction part of it and breaks down the associated symptoms that go with stopping smoking.

Back