• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

quitting the booze !!!

graysblue

Banned
approx 3 weeks ago went to a little shindig where i drank approx 6 pints of stella and approx 1 pint of red wine.

after chucking my guts up and feeling ill for the next 3 days,i decided to quit drinking altogether.

3 weeks on i have shed 6 pounds in weight with my stomach appearing flatter by the day.

i read somewhere that 6 weeks without booze is very decent for the body,sadly with xmas looming the temptation to drink large amounts will no doubt return.

being teetotal is not as bad as i thought.

i'm giving up booze after xmas until april when i run a half mara. quite looking forward to it in a way, i tend to limit my drinking to weekends, although last week i had 14 pints and a two day hangover, not good!

being teetotal is not as bad as i thought.

What p*sses me off is the difference between quitting smoking and quilting booze.

If you're laying off the fags, people tend to say thinkgs like "good on you" & "wish I had the willpower".

Whereas if you're giving up the drink, they're like "go on, you can just have the one" or even go as far as waving a full glass under your nose whilst saying "I'll get you whatever you want"

Does my box in! Rant over!!!

Last edited:
What p*sses me off is the difference between quitting smoking and quiitng booze.

If you're laying off the fags, people tend to say thinkgs like "good on you" & "wish I had the willpower".

Whereas if you're giving up the drink, they're like "go on, you can just have the one" or even go as far as waving a full glass under your nose whilst saying "I'll get you whatever you want"

agreed

went somewhere the other night to visit people,and was offered booze time and time again,must admit by 11pm it was odd to be able to still drive the car.

What p*sses me off is the difference between quitting smoking and quilting booze.

That works the same way for weight loss, when I was on my diet a miserable Wet Spam sh*tbag of a colleague of mine would waft his lunch in my direction, until one day when I politely told him that I would stick it where sun doesn't shine if he didn't desist.

agreed

went somewhere the other night to visit people,and was offered booze time and time again,must admit by 11pm it was odd to be able to still drive the car.

i gave the booze up about 10 years ago, for largely the same reason as you, and although I have never smoked either, its the non drinking that people look at me strangely for.
Its the fact we've long been chastising smokers (rightly so) and so is the norm if you dont have one, but as yet, binge drinking and the drinking culture in general in Britain has yet to be tackled.
Only until political parties stopped accepting backhanders, sorry, legal donations, from major brewing companies, will things start to change.

Only until political parties stopped accepting backhanders, sorry, legal donations, from major brewing companies, will things start to change.

During my time at Diageo, we had to come up with a specific way of wording how a member of the board had donated to Labour's election fund for the year-end glossy accounts! The text had to constantly be cross-checked by the Group Counsel in case it would cause either the director, the company or (I'm speculating here but I bet they had a say in it) the Labour Party some issues!

Also we had Bliar turn up at head office to launch the DrinkAware campaign that Diageo have championed in association with the Portman Trust.

I quit the booze about seven months ago, though it was largely forced on to me due to starting epilepsy-related medication. Having said that, I was never much of a drinker anyway and only had two or three beers when out socially, so I've barely missed it at all.

During my time at Diageo, we had to come up with a specific way of wording how a member of the board had donated to Labour's election fund for the year-end glossy accounts! The text had to constantly be cross-checked by the Group Counsel in case it would cause either the director, the company or (I'm speculating here but I bet they had a say in it) the Labour Party some issues!

Also we had Bliar turn up at head office to launch the DrinkAware campaign that Diageo have championed in association with the Portman Trust.

the irony..

typical britih govts...should have also asked him about the fact Bae are supplying arms to countries with an arms embargo on them..

visited body worlds last week and viewed a liver which had chirios(bad spelling i know)it looked very pickled indeed,the info given was at this stage death normally occurs quickly unless a transplant is offered,in addition it also stated that the liver repairs itself assuming that disease is not involved.

just got to quit those poxy fags now

I quit the booze about seven months ago, though it was largely forced on to me due to starting epilepsy-related medication. Having said that, I was never much of a drinker anyway and only had two or three beers when out socially, so I've barely missed it at all.

Surely you are the same Kris who bolted about 20 pints at many a SZBC night?

Hope the medication is helping mate.

Maybe it is because drinking in moderation is more socially acceptable than smoking and drinking with some good friends will not directly effect your health like it would if your good friends smoked??

Maybe it is because drinking in moderation is more socially acceptable than smoking and drinking with some good friends will not directly effect your health like it would if your good friends smoked??

the truth is quite simply there has not been 1 single person who has died from smoking ie its on the death certifacate and i am talking worldwide.

however boozers are dying by the truckload from the desease which i cannot spell.......chriosis

the truth is quite simply there has not been 1 single person who has died from smoking ie its on the death certifacate and i am talking worldwide.

however boozers are dying by the truckload from the desease which i cannot spell.......chriosis

Absolute tosh. A doctor on BBC 5-Live has this discussion and said that smoking is noted as the cause of many, many deaths.

Absolute tosh. A doctor on BBC 5-Live has this discussion and said that smoking is noted as the cause of many, many deaths.

the evidence suggests smoking to cause many deaths and it probably does,yet the fact remains not one person has died with cause of death being smoking.

whilst heavy boozers have died with the cause of death being diectly linked to drinking.

we are talking factually,i agree smoking is bad news and cannot do people any favours.

fraid the smokers will never belive that the die from the habit.

the evidence suggests smoking to cause many deaths and it probably does,yet the fact remains not one person has died with cause of death being smoking.

people die from smoke inhilation...smoking on a grander scale, but same effect

just like drowning is to drinking..ok I didnt think the argument through properly,but you get the idea.

Last edited:

whilst heavy boozers have died with the cause of death being diectly linked to drinking.

we are talking factually,i agree smoking is bad news and cannot do people any favours.

Yes it has! Speak to a doctor.

Yes it has! Speak to a doctor.

either you cannot understand or will not admit you are wrong.

i agree smoking kills YET there has not been 1 single death certificate issued worldwide and we are talking in terms of billions of people who have had cause of death "by smoking"

that is fact !!!

even though we all know smoking has contributed to countless deaths.

i agree smoking kills YET there has not been 1 single death certificate issued worldwide and we are talking in terms of billions of people who have had cause of death "by smoking"

That's just daft though! Of course they don't put "Cause of death - smoking" on the death certificates! Because it is the things that happen because of smoking that causes the death, eg lung cancer. They can't just put something as general as smoking on a death certificate because the number of problems that smoking causes is too great.

Back