• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Question Rebuilding for the NL season

The main problem this season was the imbalance of the squad; not just positionally but also age. We have ended up with a group of players at both ends of the age spectrum. We need to focus on relatively experienced players in their mid 20s to be the core of the squad with more experienced and younger players filling in the gaps. In terms of strikers at this level, you very rarely are able to buy a proven 20 goal a season player and therefore are reliant on a scouting network which can see potential and also a bit of luck(!) - for eg no one thought Eastwood would be as successful as he was.
I agree with your comments regarding the age structure of the squad but the key is the experienced element. You talk about purchasing a 20 goal a season striker at this level, don’t forget that this level is the National League and over the last few seasons there have been 3 or 4 players that have scored 20+ goals a season, we just need to find them. We also need to be aware when looking at players in the North and South divisions that there is a big step up into the higher league, just ask Chelmsford supporters.

I agree with your comments regarding the age structure of the squad but the key is the experienced element. You talk about purchasing a 20 goal a season striker at this level, don’t forget that this level is the National League and over the last few seasons there have been 3 or 4 players that have scored 20+ goals a season, we just need to find them. We also need to be aware when looking at players in the North and South divisions that there is a big step up into the higher league, just ask Chelmsford supporters.

We already have Brandon Goodship. He proves that they are out there....But not a lot else unfortunately.

We already have Brandon Goodship. He proves that they are out there....But not a lot else unfortunately.
That just proves my point, Goodship scored all his National League goals for Weymouth in the NL South. He was also on loan at Braintree in the NL and didn’t score.

So.....that season is over. We finish three points short of the 22nd placed team Scunthorpe and are relegated to the National League after 101 years in the EFL. A very sad day.

However it's in the past now and we have to prepare for next season immediately. With the parachute funding we have our best chance of returning to League Two in our first two seasons in non-league football. We have to hit the ground running.

Which of the current squad would I wish to keep?

Seaden
Elvis (likely to go to a L2 team I'd have thought)
Clifford
Kyprianou
Hobson
White
Taylor
Egbri
Rush
Acquah
Dieng (likely to go to a L2 team)
Gard
Coker
Hart
Holmes

Just my personal opinion. I'd be a useless manager so I'm looking forward to seeing what happens.

Sadly, if I were him I'd tell Southend to sod off because I could do better than our benighted club.

Molesley dropped a bollock on that one to be fair but again, if the embargo was not in place it would never have had to be a call between him and someone else.

Let’s not forget Ranger . Do we think he could get the required goals ( if fit) in the NL ?

Come someone please explain the love triangle between; Ron, Phil and Nile ?

Will Ranger stay if Phil is manager? Will RM have final say or will Phil? Last time it all ended in tears, but who is in love with who?

I love how people are saying we need to sign a 20+ goal striker as if they're ten a penny. The strikers who are already doing it at the level we play at wouldn't touch us with a barge pole. Those who are doing it several levels below aren't providing proof that they could score at the same rate at our level (Goodship anyone?). All we can do is sign somebody who might have shown the potential to score at that rate at our level and hope that they do, fairly confident that they probably won't. Who amongst us said when we signed Carruthers, Constantine and Eastwood "yeah, they're our 20+ goal striker"?

Don't think it's too light to say without the embargo we would have stayed up
Maybe. It’s also a huge lesson we must take on board now. We cannot afford to be slow out of the blocks again and fall into the “it’s fine, there’s xx games left” trap. We absolutely have to be ready and hit the ground running.

Regardless of the quality of the squad we have to scrap and battle for every single point. No excuses. This is where to me it makes sense to stick with PB as it gives us ample opportunity to make sure this happens. Brown won’t suffer fools and he’ll want players who leave everything out there and fight for the shirt. Molesley was a gamble and maybe Ron/many fans didn’t realise quite what a tough task lay ahead. To me Brown is less of a gamble than someone who will have to start from scratch all over and doesn’t know the club or the staff.

Only one has scored over 20 goals this season. That's Mullins of Cambridge. Mind you, he's scored 31.

You're absolutely right re. those who have scored 15 or over, ten. Johnson of Orient has scored 17 and Wilkinson 12.

More to the point Mullin scored 7 goals in 33 games in 2019-2020 and 7 goals in 29 appearances in 2018-19. This was the first time he scored more than 10 goals in a season and he ended up with 34. When he was signed do you think Cambridge fans welcomed him as their 20 goal a season forward, let alone 30+?

This is a pattern we see time after time. He'll no doubt earn a move to a bigger club where he struggles to hit those heights again.

If you want a 20 goal a season forward rather than look at those who did it last season look for someone aged say 23-25 so they are hitting their prime and have played let's say around 100 games of men's football so they have that experience. Then play to their strengths and put good players around them to create chances for them.

This is what we've seen with Corr, Ladapo, Hopper (sadly injury stopped him getting 20 goals but he was scoring 1 in 2 when he was injured)
This season's L2 top scorer fits into this pattern as well. How many players score 20 goals in consecutive seasons? There will be a few outliers but then narrow it down to how many manage to score 20 goals in consecutive seasons with different clubs? It is far more about the players around them than people credit.

Back