• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Question Rebuilding for the NL season

Need a decent striker who bangs in at least 20 and 2nd striker bangs in 15 . Otherwise a another bad season

That's pretty rare these days. Don't think even Coxy in his prime got 20 goals for us.

I remember mark gower getting abuse. I thought hes banged in about 10 goals as a winger And made countless goals.

I'll take your word for it.
But Kev was part of two back-to-back promotions and a win over Man U, and I certainly can't remember any carping over those two seasons.

He gave me the old two finger salute after I shouted one out of five ain’t bad Kev when he finally put in a good free kick ?

With regards to strikers. Definitely need to sign 2, with 1 of those being capable of hitting 20+ season. I would keep ranger and rush for next season to.

But we cant have a top scorer on 3 goals or what ever it was

Well, obviously not. But how many League Two strikers have scored 20 goals this season? Two or three? And how many have 15? 10 maybe?

Orient I believe have two (Johnson and Wilkinson) on 15+ goals for the season but that's pretty rare and they're mid table anyway.

A good side has goals from all over the pitch.

Realistically the team that is put together needs to be of top half L2 standard to get out of the NL. A look at the table suggests that the vast majority of players at the moment will not be good enough or too old to go again.

Reduce the size of squad and use youngsters (Seaden,Howard, Egbri, Kinali, Rush etc) to fill in when necessary. Quality not quantity. Done properly some of these players should be integrated into the team during course of next season and become first team regulars. I particularly like Kinali and can't understand why he hasn't been used more.
One minute you are saying the team needs to be made up of top half performers from Div 2 next you are realing out a load of kids who have played half a dozen games for the worst Southend team in history as players you would like to keep .... ffs you really are an odd one

You
Does anyone think how much we will benefit other clubs in this League when we take massive support and give the opposition large amounts of money through the turnstiles and in the bars ?

Hope they don't spend it on new players to beat us with later in the season.
You honestly think you will watch live football away next season ? You’ve under estimated the power of the ‘new normal’

But how many League Two strikers have scored 20 goals this season? Two or three? And how many have 15? 10 maybe?

Only one has scored over 20 goals this season. That's Mullins of Cambridge. Mind you, he's scored 31.

You're absolutely right re. those who have scored 15 or over, ten. Johnson of Orient has scored 17 and Wilkinson 12.

That's pretty rare these days. Don't think even Coxy in his prime got 20 goals for us.
The National League tends to have 3 or 4 strikers that score 20+ goals every season, so they are around.

I would be taking a look at Bromley's Courtney Duffus. Good all-round striker, not sure how long his contract there is though.

I would be taking a look at Bromley's Courtney Duffus. Good all-round striker, not sure how long his contract there is though.

That is a good shout. Courtney Duffus is 6' 2" in height and looked good at his previous club, Yeovil. He is 26.

People talk about a 20: a season striker ,but whats the use of him if he hasnt got the players around him to give him those opportunities, we need a playmaker ,some players who can provide decent crosses into the box to give our strikers the opportunities .

I'd rather have a healthy 'goals for' column with contributions spread out through the team. Depending on 20 goals from one player isn't great if that player ends up missing games through injury.

One minute you are saying the team needs to be made up of top half performers from Div 2 next you are realing out a load of kids who have played half a dozen games for the worst Southend team in history as players you would like to keep .... ffs you really are an odd one

Not at all.

Perhaps you'd better read my original post again because that is NOT what I said.

Having done that perhaps you'd like to qualify what you have said about me further for my benefit and the moderators? Thanks.

He said fill in where necessary. That means your first 15 or so can still be experienced.

If PB stays then thats exactly what he will try to do. We don't want see another Harrogate first game of the season. But if we see more of Matt Rush coming off the bench to win us 3 points then whats the problem.

The main problem this season was the imbalance of the squad; not just positionally but also age. We have ended up with a group of players at both ends of the age spectrum. We need to focus on relatively experienced players in their mid 20s to be the core of the squad with more experienced and younger players filling in the gaps. In terms of strikers at this level, you very rarely are able to buy a proven 20 goal a season player and therefore are reliant on a scouting network which can see potential and also a bit of luck(!) - for eg no one thought Eastwood would be as successful as he was.

Reactions: Jai
Back