• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Question Rebuilding for the NL season

I think only one experienced professional of the ilk of JW, RH, Macca and JD would be well under what we need. We need a balanced squad, and if the NL is as described then these are exactly the type of players who will lead by example and not take a step backward. Probably Macca is the one most at risk because age/regular injury seems to have caught up with him. As much as he is great character to have around. Has he done any of his coaching badges- player/u23 coaching role might work somehow.
think it's far more likely to see jd offered a new deal that includes the u23s or something similar. Has full coaching badges and hugely experienced.
Will depend on the package I would think as I believe there is interest from other clubs.

Wasn't Oxley's high wage as a result of him resigning a further contract rather than when PB signed him.

OX will get offers and go
JD not a midfielder but back at RB on NL wages when Elvis goes would be an option.
White is an absolute no brainer and would be great financial value.
Ricky Holmes should be kept on.

That leaves those on contracts some of which need to go and a slim chance of signing sone of the loanees, like Cordner. He might sign if PB is manger.

Fair point about Oxley, though now he's on a lot of money I hope PB doesn't get swayed because he signed him.

Does Cordner like PB then?

I guess the answer to having a competitive budget is to reduce the squad size considerably. Aim for a first team squad of 18 or so players who will expect a reasonable wage, and fill up the remaining slots with the best of the youngsters.

After over a century of being a football league club, the mismanagement of this football club over a period of many years has finally ended that stay.

For me the rebuild needs to start NOW, part of the reason for our downfall was the lack of prepardness between seasons to fix obvious issues and get a settled squad of players and manager for the next campagin.

How often have we seen other clubs signing players and building a pre season while RM is still going through his 'due diligence' only to be saddled with another wrong appoitment and an unbalanced squad, cobbled together at the last moment.

I know the situation wih Stan and a potential CEO is the main focus over the next week or so but following that outcome we must have a clear plan in place so that we have a fighting chance of competing next season and that plan needs to be started now.

If we again find ourselves in no better position by the end of June with the right manager in place (I think that PB may be that man) and more importatnly the right players for the NL with competiton for places and a balanced squad then I fear the worst.

Hopefully the CEO situation will be the catalyst but only time will tell.

What are you thoughts?

I disagree that we need to rebuild. We've been constantly rebuilding for the last few years, never seeing a plan through to fruition. What we actually needed to do is to stop rebuilding and stick to a plan.

Despite conceding a few goals in the last couple of weeks, we've still only conceded 13 in the last 19 since Ferguson made his first start. That's exactly the sort of base needed for a promotion push.

So stick with Bwomono, Clifford, Hobson, White and Cordner and then Ferguson and Dieng in front of them. Oxley will move on but can be replaced.

The bit which requires some work is going forward (which is one of the reasons that Brown is the wrong man). We need a targetman who can hold the ball up (Tom Hopper was never replaced) and a creative spark (or two) in midfield. The likes of Egbri, Rush, ANG, Acquah, Akinola and maybe Walsh and if he's fit Gard can be contributors as well with the right pieces around them.

I disagree that we need to rebuild. We've been constantly rebuilding for the last few years, never seeing a plan through to fruition. What we actually needed to do is to stop rebuilding and stick to a plan.

Despite conceding a few goals in the last couple of weeks, we've still only conceded 13 in the last 19 since Ferguson made his first start. That's exactly the sort of base needed for a promotion push.

So stick with Bwomono, Clifford, Hobson, White and Cordner and then Ferguson and Dieng in front of them. Oxley will move on but can be replaced.

The bit which requires some work is going forward (which is one of the reasons that Brown is the wrong man). We need a targetman who can hold the ball up (Tom Hopper was never replaced) and a creative spark (or two) in midfield. The likes of Egbri, Rush, ANG, Acquah, Akinola and maybe Walsh and if he's fit Gard can be contributors as well with the right pieces around them.

Sounds like a rebuild to me... :Winking:

Good points made about our defensive improvements but that is only a small part of rebuilding a squad into something that is fit for purpose.

We have zero attacking capabilities from playmaking midfielders, effective wideplayers, a target man and a goal scorer. Plus the likely need to replace the keeper which will need to be influenced by whatever defenders are in front of him.

It's a huge job hence my reasoning for getting this process started ASAP rather than the usual 3 weeks before the season starts if we are lucky.

Would he come to us though? Only 23 and has a good goalscoring record at NL level. Surely an EFL side would take a punt on him.

Rotherham and Plymouth are keeping tabs on him apparently. Not a chance he would choose to come to us over either of those larger teams.

Sounds like a rebuild to me... :Winking:

Good points made about our defensive improvements but that is only a small part of rebuilding a squad into something that is fit for purpose.

We have zero attacking capabilities from playmaking midfielders, effective wideplayers, a target man and a goal scorer. Plus the likely need to replace the keeper which will need to be influenced by whatever defenders are in front of him.

It's a huge job hence my reasoning for getting this process started ASAP rather than the usual 3 weeks before the season starts if we are lucky.

Oh I agree we need to get started on it immediately. Still think this is our best starting base that we've had for quite a few years: a solid defensive base and shot of the last of the big money contracts for the over 30s. We've even shaken that losing mentality having lost just 5 of the last 19.

Compare that to the mess that Powell/Waddock/Campbell/Molesley inherited.

Not really a seasoned goal scorer at National League level, there must be other strikers with a better record.

19 goals last in the league and 14 this year so far. We're in no position to turn our nose at that.

We've sponsored Harry Lennon for three seasons, I've defended him staunchly, but you can't seriously expect we'd keep him in the NL? He's one of our higher earners and has had some pretty horrific injuries which must make his legs suspect now anyway.

I've said this on the match report from yesterday:

There's actually only three players in our current squad under contract - assuming they don't have relegation clauses - Phillips, Akinola and Nathaniel-George. Of those with options, you have several high wage earners and I don't expect many of the options to be exercised, Seaden, Howard, Clifford, Egbri and Rush probably. All of these could do well next season with the right manager in place.

Add to that, I'd keep John and Ricky if they will accept the salary implications. I suspect all the others will want to stay in the EFL and be looking for Clubs. Of the loanees, I'd love to keep Kyle Taylor and Taylor Cordner, but very much doubt they would go into the NL.
Thanks OBL a dash of realism.

I know non-league isn’t like it used to be with full time players etc now but anyone know if a CEO is standard at that level?

That Exeter result from October keeps coming back to haunt me..
Yes,throwing away those 2 points was sickening,but even more sickening was White presenting Scunthorpe a very late equaliser late March.That effectively cost us 3 points.

Does anyone think how much we will benefit other clubs in this League when we take massive support and give the opposition large amounts of money through the turnstiles and in the bars ?

Hope they don't spend it on new players to beat us with later in the season.

I cant understand why almost everyone says Dieng should go ,he reading the match reports seems to me to have had a really good season, he has been played in various positions ( but not goalkeeper ) and always seemed to be one of those giving there all.Love us to be able to sign Cordner and Olayinka if possible. Kinali ,Howard ,Egbri, Rush, Walsh , Elvis hopefully will all be here next season ,put some experience around these lads and i seriously believe we can get out of NL at first attempt, Love it if Ranger can knuckle down get over his injury and truly have a good preseason and want to finally play football and show his undoubted talent.

Problem is half of them are not good enough for league two.
Well looking at our defensive record since January apart from the Port Vale game i would say our defenders are well up to league 2 standard.

I would hope Brown or whoever takes over from him sits down and studies teams like Bristol Rovers etc. who got back into the league fairly quickly to see how they managed it. Whether it was retaining league players, clearing down the decks, signing proven conference players or whatever.

It would also be useful to look at the teams who have smashed the league and been promoted in the last few seasons to try and work out a good nucleus/template for a squad.

If we know, for example, that of the successful teams, the average age was 29, 80% were experienced conference players, 70% were over 6ft battlers and every promoted team played 4-4-2 with an absolute lump upfront, it’ll give us a much better indication of where to recruit in the summer.

Absolutely no point going for proven league players and putting together a team that could hold its own in league two if they’ll be useless in the National league which is a totally different animal.

I really, really hope Ron sorts the management appointment out as quick as possible. He should be talking to and interviewing candidates now in case Brown doesn’t stay. There’s so much work to be done over the summer and that work should really be starting now.

Lincoln is the model for returning to Division 2 that the Chairman should be looking at. The Cowley brothers brought in an entire new team over the summer they arrived.

Back