• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Question Rebuilding for the NL season

Any chance we could prise Kabongo Tshimanga from Boreham Wood? Will be a sad state of affairs if we can’t match what they pay him.

I do not think Southend have much chance of signing Tshimanga.

I think the club should look at Kyle Hudlin who is currently playing for Solihull Moors. He is 20, 6ft 9ins in height, and has scored more than 10 goals in his first season while playing as a target man. He is under contract until June 2022 but the fee required may not be huge and is clearly a player with a big future.

Realistically the team that is put together needs to be of top half L2 standard to get out of the NL. A look at the table suggests that the vast majority of players at the moment will not be good enough or too old to go again.

Reduce the size of squad and use youngsters (Seaden,Howard, Egbri, Kinali, Rush etc) to fill in when necessary. Quality not quantity. Done properly some of these players should be integrated into the team during course of next season and become first team regulars. I particularly like Kinali and can't understand why he hasn't been used more.

Yes,throwing away those 2 points was sickening,but even more sickening was White presenting Scunthorpe a very late equaliser late March.That effectively cost us 3 points.

JW is the only Southend player who done his job for that equaliser. Our fans love of a scapegoat has contributed to our slide into the NL. Lazy teams concede poor goals, blaming one man creates lazy teams.

JW is the only Southend player who done his job for that equaliser. Our fans love of a scapegoat has contributed to our slide into the NL. Lazy teams concede poor goals, blaming one man creates lazy teams.
It’s funny, JW has always had his critics but he’s always been totally professional and reliable. My only concern with John isn’t off the pitch it’s on it, can he last a season being battered in the National League. He might himself choose to give that one a miss.

I do not think Southend have much chance of signing Tshimanga.

I think the club should look at Kyle Hudlin who is currently playing for Solihull Moors. He is 20, 6ft 9ins in height, and has scored more than 10 goals in his first season while playing as a target man. He is under contract until June 2022 but the fee required may not be huge and is clearly a player with a big future.

Hudlin has caught the eye without a doubt. The issue would be that he's probably on more there than he would get here, Solihull are dripping in cash, pay their players big money, and wouldn't be interested in selling to us when they could potentially make much more in January if he continues the way he has been.

Yes, Hudlin was one of the non-league targetmen I pointed out as worth a look back near the beginning of this season along with Mike Fondop (who is now at Burton). We might have been in with more of a chance back then before embargo days than we do now. Tshimanga has Oxford after him as well as the two previously mentioned clubs, and one other L1 club too. No chance of getting him in.

That's my issue with PB....he's not one for thinking outside the box in terms of new signings. It will just be the usual list of names who we're all familiar with.

Must confess now I've got my head around the fact we're in the NL, I'm starting to get the odd tinge of excitement at the thought of the new season. New adventure and all that. Obviously i'm fully expecting to have that knocked out of me by the 4th game when we're bottom again with 0 points and a -12 goal difference, but for now its quite nice to have a small element of positivity..

In a word, how?
The fans are now partly responsible for our demotion?
Really?
There was I thinking they were just poor and poorly managed until Brown.
Save for two games, there were no fans to make their feelings known one way or the other.

In a word, how?
The fans are now partly responsible for our demotion?
Really?
There was I thinking they were just poor and poorly managed until Brown.
Save for two games, there were no fans to make their feelings known one way or the other.
I can't explain in A word.
But, for as long as I can remember, going back to the times of Gary Moore, there has been and remains as sizable, vocal, objectionable minority of persons who attend Roots Hall seemingly with intent to cast blame and aspersions at individual Southend United players in a manner far beyond reasonable or objective, justified or fair. Many players have fallen foul of them; and despite, supposed better knowledge of mental health issues, discrimination, bullying etc it continues up to the present.
At the moment Emile seems prime target for them with others like JW not far behind their hate list.
WTF these "supporters" are hoping for is beyond my understanding.

But, for as long as I can remember, going back to the times of Gary Moore, there has been and remains as sizable, vocal, objectionable minority of persons who attend Roots Hall seemingly with intent to cast blame and aspersions at individual Southend United players in a manner far beyond reasonable or objective, justified or fair. Many players have fallen foul of them; and despite, supposed better knowledge of mental health issues, discrimination, bullying etc it continues up to the present.
At the moment Emile seems prime target for them with others like JW not far behind their hate list.

Guess they all went on holiday from 2004 till Autumn 2009?

Hmmmm . Billy Paynter, Ritchie Foran, Gary Hooper, Matt Harold, Steve Hammell, James Walker, Osei Sankofa...... to name a few.....

Sorry.

To clarify.

My point was that the unhappy fans didn’t go on holiday but somehow they didn’t cause a slide into the NL in those days - must have been the fans fault that we were promoted and had a lot of success.

Or to put it even more clearly - in my opinion, Rigsby’s point is somewhat flawed.

Sorry.

To clarify.

My point was that the unhappy fans didn’t go on holiday but somehow they didn’t cause a slide into the NL in those days - must have been the fans fault that we were promoted and had a lot of success.

Or to put it even more clearly - in my opinion, Rigsby’s point is somewhat flawed.
Only a person with severe sensory deprivation (deaf and blind) visiting Roots Hall or travelling with some, (a smallish minority admittedly) of our "fans" may have missed the toxicity directed at some of the players. They are professionals and abuse from the stands is part of football. However it is too common, too personal, too damaging.
Riggers. imo has a point.

Yes, of course. There has always will be detractors looking to pick holes.
BUT, that's the lot of a pro footballer.
Surely, the deal is to believe in yourself and ignore the 'noise' as Fulham manager Scott Parker calls it.
Aquah and a few goals, or convincing performances, would soon have the boo-boys running for cover.
For all that, the line is drawn on racism, homophobia and other actual crimes.
But the original claim was absent fans were partly responsible for our demise.
Sorry, but you're going to have to convince me with other arguments.

@Chris Powell's mate . might the experiences of Theo and Nouble and others have affected recruiting?
Can't be a positive?
Maybe...but they were under the cosh when fans were present. If you were a prospective recruit, would you seek out Theo and Frank for advice?
It suggests said recruit thinks he's not good enough, and he too, would soon be getting it in the neck?
Not in 58 years have I heard our fans round on someone worth their salt, even if it is subjective.

Need a decent striker who bangs in at least 20 and 2nd striker bangs in 15 . Otherwise a another bad season

Back