• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Recommend some music

Ulysses

Manager
Fleeing New York -  Aok (Indie Rock Pop - cross Supergrass, Velvet Undergound and White Stripes)
High on fire - Blessed Black Wings (Sludge Metal)
Wolfmother - Wolfmother (More Annie Christian than the Darkness)
Architectures In Helsinki - In Case we Die! (Australian version of Arcade Fire)
Money Mark - Push the Button (Ex-Beasties cross mix Jazz, 60's Pop, Drum and Bass with the Simpson Theme thrown in)

Any chance of an idea as to the style of music. Sound a bit "heavy rawk" to me!!!

Is this a list of "five albums you probably haven't heard by I think you ought to"?  If so:

1. Orobroy - David Peña Dorantes
2. Time Further Out - Dave Brubeck Quartet
3. The Rough and the Smooth - Outside
4. Head on the Door - The Cure
5. Requiem, Messe Cum Jubilo et Quatre Chansons - Maurice Duruflé

For the last one, you want the full orchestral version which is conducted by Duruflé himself, released on the Erato or Apex label - such as...

...this one (which is the version I own)

or this one (which looks cheaper)

cool.gif

In answer to glasgowsufc's question:

1. Flamenco / piano
2. Trad Jazz
3. Jazz Funk / dance
4. The Cure are pretty unquantifiable!
5. Classical (20th Century - French impressionism with Gregorian & religious influences)

Matt

Quixotic - Martina Topley-Bird (interesting-voiced female soloist. Undefinable genre)
Rooney - Rooney (sun-kissed and Thrills-esque with a rockier edge and psychopathic lyrics)
xo - Elliott Smith (genius, oddly poppy male soloist. dead)
Free The Bees - The Bees (60s throwback rock/pop group)
Ty - Upwards (Soulful, British hip-hop artist)

Hmmm.

A bit eclectic, and, essentially, the first five albums I saw sitting on my computer table.
biggrin.gif

Why not...

Vashti Bunyan - Lookaftering (2005)
First album in over 35 years for the folky songstress who unwittingly made the blueprint for the kind of twee indiepop peddled by the likes of Isobel Campbell.

My Latest Novel - Wolves (2006)
They're Scotland's answer to Arcade FIre don't you know - not as good but still well worth a punt.

Pearls Before Swine - These Things Too (1969)
Think post-motorcycle accident Dylan on LSD and you'd be halfway there. THE most underrated songwriter of his generation.

Alice Coltrane - Journey in Satchidanand (1971)
Everyone who says they don't like jazz should here this before making such a sweeping statement.

Why? - Sanddollars EP (2005)
Disaffected American youth never sounded so good.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Ulysses @ Feb. 01 2006,22:31)]Wolfmother - Wolfmother (More Annie Christian than the Darkness)
Was recommended this by my brother-in-law in Oz, sorry but I didn't like it at all. Too 70's rawk for me

[b said:
Quote[/b] (hexagon_sun @ Feb. 02 2006,10:55)]Why not...

Vashti Bunyan - Lookaftering (2005)
First album in over 35 years for the folky songstress who unwittingly made the blueprint for the kind of twee indiepop peddled by the likes of Isobel Campbell.

My Latest Novel - Wolves (2006)
They're Scotland's answer to Arcade FIre don't you know - not as good but still well worth a punt.

Pearls Before Swine - These Things Too (1969)
Think post-motorcycle accident Dylan on LSD and you'd be halfway there. THE most underrated songwriter of his generation.

Alice Coltrane - Journey in Satchidanand (1971)
Everyone who says they don't like jazz should here this before making such a sweeping statement.

Why? - Sanddollars EP (2005)
Disaffected American youth never sounded so good.
Yeah i agree with Alice Coltrane.

I've got a few albums on CD oh ers. Not the best in her genre but well worth a bash on a laid back evening

can't think of five, but two I could recommend:

'Fresh Wine for the Horses' by Rob Dickinson
ex-Catherine Wheel frontman finally gets his solo career going, definitely a development on the CW sound and slightly mellower, but awesome none the less.

'Just Another Day' by The WireDaisies
sort of folk meets indie with a bit of Pink Floyd, Coldplay, blues, funk, and a whole pile of other stuff. Sounds like it could be a mess but it isn't. Relaxing I would say

AC

De Nova - The Redwalls - A modern day Beatles-esque sound. From Chicago.

Behind The Music - The Soundtrack of Our Lives - a mixture of many great rock/indie bands. This would be the first album to get but the three others (Welcome to the Infrant Freebase/Extended Revaltion for the Psychic Weaklings of Western Civilisation/Origins Vol. One) are also absolutely excellent. Fronted by a big fat bearded Swede by the name of Ebbot Lungberg.

Joanna Newsom -The Milk Eyed Mender

I tried about a year ago to convert you all to this harp playing female singer-songwriter who makes Bjork sound perfectly sane. Honestly, a beautiful collection of totally off-kilter songs that grow with every listen into an album which will stay with you forever.

Doesn't quite fit into my "basic rock and roll" proclamations in support of the Arctic Monkeys but then I always was a bit of a contrary sod
wink.gif

Back