• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Or we could build 8 storey buildings on Roots Hall and make 240 million !

Alternative we could build what actually would be approved by planning commissioners, which in an over populated area is unlikely to be anywhere near 1000 units on that location.

And then add on the flats and retail units at FF, edging 200m - frankly makes the cost of building the stadium rather modest in comparison!

If it were that easy we would never have needed Sainsbury.

Using an online mapping and measuring tool it gives an area for the site defined in the original planning application as approx 9.68 acres.

In that application housing was shown as taking up about a third of the area and was for 272 dwellings in two/three storey units.
It would not be unreasonable to extrapolate from that that if the site was to become all housing, and the same density per acre was allowed across the whole site, then 272 x 3 = 816 units would be feasible.
St Mary's Court comprises of three FOUR storey blocks so it would not, again, be unreasonable to think that some element of four storey development could be allowed onsite so, theoretically, that could push it to within touching distance of 1000 units.

1000 units at the neighbourhood average price of £120k is therefore pushing retail value of the Roots Hall site as residential development at that density towards £120m, obviously site clearance, build, site infrastructure and Section 106 costs would have to come out of that but I would suggest that those figures indicate that someone should be able to turn a tidy profit out of it..... :winking:

Isn't this including Prospects, PizzaMan, Sale Appliances and all those flats they were going to demolish, rather than just the Roots Hall site?

Yes, YB, I have included in the site size all of the properties mentioned in the original planning application. I, along with everyone else I would imagine, have lost track of exactly what has been acquired and what hasn't and as a redevelopment of the whole block would probably be the logical way ahead. Of course, St Mary's Court may no longer figure in any changed plans.

Agreed, Jam Man, there is no guarantee that the Council would agree such a large volume development on the one site, I was just trying to extrapolate, using the density figures already agreed by the Council, to show that if plans were approved to that level then the site is financially desirable.

As to whether the site is financially viable enough to fund the FF plans depends on what the proposals are and what the Council planners will accept, all I've tried to demonstrate is that if Sainsbury do pull out then not all is, necessarily, lost. Yes, there will be further delays while plans are changed and approved but the financial drivers in the residential development arena have changed quite rapidly in the recent past and the sector is obviously bouyant by the evidence of sites currently in development in Southend and around and the plans which are being submitted around the local area.

Of course, all this is pure conjecture pending any decisions from those in the driving seat.....

Back