• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Relegation appeal

I've already said on here that we fully deserve relegation and it feels wrong to appeal it. But then again I suppose it is unfair of the NL to decide it won't relegate anyone but will still allow two of its teams into the league above. I still can't see it coming to anything however. I just hope a final decision is made either way this week otherwise I can see us dithering as usual and delaying plans for the NL which should already be well under way.

Not the same scenario but this is interesting reading. If this does happen Wycombe would stay up. Which shows why it was important we finished ahead of Grimsby if anything similar was to happen in our league.

Truthfully it really doesn't matter what Jeff Stelling ranted about, any more than it really matters what any members have posted on this thread, be it from us or outside supporters. There is an appeal in and it will stand or fall. Morally it's not right in my view, but if it succeeds I won't turn it down and if it fails I'll get on with getting ready for next season and the National League. I'm far more interested in what shape we will be in as a football club to start the next season.

What did he say??
"Grimsby and Southend United are challenging their relegation from the Football League, they have deemed it to be unfair as there is no relegation from the National League. So they are appealing.....now boys, GET A LIFE! THAT IS PATHETIC! You're the bottom two on merit, or a lack of merit should I say. So accept your fate with grace. They have been relegated....AND THAT IS THE WAY IT SHOULD STAY!"

"Grimsby and Southend United are challenging their relegation from the Football League, they have deemed it to be unfair as there is no relegation from the National League. So they are appealing.....now boys, GET A LIFE! THAT IS PATHETIC! You're the bottom two on merit, or a lack of merit should I say. So accept your fate with grace. They have been relegated....AND THAT IS THE WAY IT SHOULD STAY!"
I think this is what they call a conflict of interest, and noting a previous Stelling rant on air sacked Dave Jones at 'Pool, I can't help but feel he has more clout than should be allowed a TV presenter.

I have read the posts and listened to the arguments but honestly we don’t deserve a reprieve and neither do Grimsby, we got relegated because we were sh-t.The National league are run differently to the EFL and the winner of the National league deserve promotion Dover also know what problem they will face although there is no relegation from the national league they will I believe incur a 12 point penalty, it’s no good moaning now we are down and trying to stay in the league by appealing Us and Grimsby should have tried harder to stay up.We need to sort our club out and get back into the EFL as we should be.

I think this is what they call a conflict of interest, and noting a previous Stelling rant on air sacked Dave Jones at 'Pool, I can't help but feel he has more clout than should be allowed a TV presenter.

Yes only two years ago he was telling Plymouth fans to cover their eyes.....Rather than just give out the scores.

You kind of see the humour, but yeah, doesn't sound like he's a closet Shrimper!

Maybe if Stelling supported a top 6, we want a super league club then you might have a point about conflict. But Hartlepool...mmm. His rants, raves and despair are just part of the show.

Personally i like the fact that he draws attention and highlights the lower end of the pro game........When I had Sky of course.

Can't believe we're being told that the National League bar Dover remained competitive when they announced there would be no relegations hahahaha what a load of bollocks

I’m right behind the appeal. The appeal isn’t just about this season. It’s about all seasons. I was always against relegation from the football league and promotion to it from the conference. I was quite happy with the old way of doing it, seeking re-election. We have given so much to the football league this last 100 years and to be relegated into possible obscurity during the mayhem of covid is morally wrong. As a result we have the moral high ground to appeal.

Last edited:
I’m right behind the appeal. The appeal isn’t just about this season. It’s about all seasons. I was always against relegation from the football league and promotion to it from the conference. I was quite happy with the old way of doing it, seeking re-election. We have given so much to the football league this last 100 years and to be relegated into possible obscurity during the mayhem of covid is morally wrong. As a result we have the moral high ground to appeal.
Not sure about that.
Re-election was literally an old boys club.
You had to fall foul in order to get the chop.
Have a look at those who fell out with the chumocracy.
Gateshead and Bradford PA only asked once, and were voted out.
Workington got the bullet after two bids, while Hartlepool asked 14 times, and were allowed to remain.
Yeah, really.
At least this way, in a normal season, the tier system means even a ninth division club can dream.
I agree that this season is different.
But it's going to be impossible to prove that mid-table and lower, who had nothing to lose, handed it to those with promotion in mind.
And even if they did, how can we say we didn't deserve demotion?

Not sure about that.
Re-election was literally an old boys club.
You had to fall foul in order to get the chop.
Have a look at those who fell out with the chumocracy.
Gateshead and Bradford PA only asked once, and were voted out.
Workington got the bullet after two bids, while Hartlepool asked 14 times, and were allowed to remain.
Yeah, really.
At least this way, in a normal season, the tier system means even a ninth division club can dream.
I agree that this season is different.
But it's going to be impossible to prove that mid-table and lower, who had nothing to lose, handed it to those with promotion in mind.
And even if they did, how can we say we didn't deserve demotion?
I agree, should only be on merit, whats the point otherwise.

It hurts but we deserved what we got through bad ownership, bad management and questionable players. You cant do all those things and expect the right to stay up just because your an old boy.

I agree, should only be on merit, whats the point otherwise.

It hurts but we deserved what we got through bad ownership, bad management and questionable players. You cant do all those things and expect the right to stay up just because your an old boy.

I said this on the other thread, but what your Chairman is trying to do here is to be wise considerably after the event. And in doing so he is trying to replace his very vague sense of perceived prejudice to Southend with a very real one for the two clubs who end up being in the NL promotion spots.

It is a shameful and cynical way for your club and Grimsby to behave and it says a lot about the people managing both. In addition to which, it is deeply counter-productive ; not only is it almost certain to lose, but it will lose you a LOT of goodwill.

I said this on the other thread, but what your Chairman is trying to do here is to be wise considerably after the event. And in doing so he is trying to replace his very vague sense of perceived prejudice to Southend with a very real one for the two clubs who end up being in the NL promotion spots.

It is a shameful and cynical way for your club and Grimsby to behave and it says a lot about the people managing both. In addition to which, it is deeply counter-productive ; not only is it almost certain to lose, but it will lose you a LOT of goodwill.

Indeed. It says they'll shamelessly fight tooth and nail for their club even when there is little to no chance of success.

(Do I agree with that? Not necessarily. The point I'm making is that you can read anything you like into any situation. There's always more than one interpretation.)

I agree with you, but isn't the appeal based on allowing the two NL sides to join an enlarged L2? With four teams relegated from L2 in the following season? I'm sure I read that somewhere. However, all 24 teams in L2 knew that relegation was going to happen. Apparently Grimsby have been asking questions since February, but we all knew the rules. We deserve to go down.

Back