• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

sufcintheprem

This is a modified caption
They say to win promotion you have to win games where you're not at your best. I'm not sure what 'they' would have to say about a team that so rarely dipped in to their reserves of talent but still run in victorious.

There was an air of empty anticiaption around Roots Hall - a misplaced confidence that Southend would easily win combined with an awareness that no one-goal Soutehnd lead is ever safe. Fears of this ilk were were quickly confirmed as a Bournemouth counter-attacked from a Southend corner and the lonely striker really should have done better. The raging finger-waggers barely had time to sit down before Francis picked Barnard out superbly who wasn't too shabby in killing the ball and tucking it in.

Perhaps well aware that Southend clean sheets are something of a novelty, Gower, Bailey and Black industriously tried to move the ball around to create a second opening but the woodwork denied a Southend second. Instead, it was Bournemouth who levelled the game - Pearce seemingly unmarked to easily nod in to the net. It has to be said that Bournemouth were worthy of their equaliser for both their ambition and application. It's only a shame that against Southend you'll score if you put more than 3 or 4 deent crosses in.

Chants of E-I-E-I-E-I-O had quickly been muted and the Southend reaction in the second half was similar. McCormack seemed extremely wasteful with the ball and some way short of his tenacious best being beaten through the tackle time and again. Tommy Black seemed most likely to make any inroads but whenever the move broke down, Bournemouth came storming forwards creating several decfent openings.

Just when it seemed the game would peeter out in to a mess of looping balls and bad first touches, a surging Black run caused mayhem in the box and the ball was tucked in at the second attempt by Walker who was impressively quick to re-set himself. There was still time for Walker to try to battle for miss of the season but Graham of Carlisle will still be sitting top of that league.

Whatever 'they' might have been saying after the match, one would imagine it was not touting Southend as genuine promotion contenders after this fairly tepid performance.

Last edited:
Great news for you & 'they' - things tend to change!

Hang tough!

Hey, wasn;t that the NKOTB? Hinging tough should be our song?!

Dash

Great news for you & 'they' - things tend to change!

Hang tough!

Hey, wasn;t that the NKOTB? Hinging tough should be our song?!

Dash

But normally when claiming that good teams win when they play badly, it is assumed that they are capable of playing well.

Leeds is the only game this season where I've seen Southend play consistantly well throughout one whole game. The rest of the season has been scrappy wins, and woeful defeats.

If we make the play-offs then League One has really let itself down.

But normally when claiming that good teams win when they play badly, it is assumed that they are capable of playing well.

Leeds is the only game this season where I've seen Southend play consistantly well throughout one whole game. The rest of the season has been scrappy wins, and woeful defeats.

No hope for us then ehh? Ok then, throw your season ticket at someone, oh no don't bother you might miss lol!

Dash :guns:

No hope for us then ehh? Ok then, throw your season ticket at someone, oh no don't bother you might miss lol!

Dash :guns:

Hit me where it hurts - my throwing accuracy!

Actually I think there is a lot of hope for our club. We've got quite a few talented young players, who, with some guidance from an experienced player or two could form a promotion chasing team next season; we've got a new stadium waiting in the wings; we've got a manager who has already experienced success even in his short career. That's a pretty hopeful long term outlook, I'd say.

This year however, has been pretty poor, in terms of the football we have played. We used to be one of the best passing teams in the league. Now we play long-ball stuff. Generally badly (although today's goal was an excellent example of when it can work).

I'd rather recognise that we haven't been one of the best 6 teams in this division this year, than remain blindly optomisitic like yourself.

Hit me where it hurts - my throwing accuracy!

Actually I think there is a lot of hope for our club. We've got quite a few talented young players, who, with some guidance from an experienced player or two could form a promotion chasing team next season; we've got a new stadium waiting in the wings; we've got a manager who has already experienced success even in his short career. That's a pretty hopeful long term outlook, I'd say.

This year however, has been pretty poor, in terms of the football we have played. We used to be one of the best passing teams in the league. Now we play long-ball stuff. Generally badly (although today's goal was an excellent example of when it can work).

I'd rather recognise that we haven't been one of the best 6 teams in this division this year, than remain blindly optomisitic like yourself.

Indeed. I didn't think we were one of the 6 best teams even when we were sat amongst them and we're not too far from being back. In fact, we're only nine points off of the automatic promotion spots.

Our biggest battle will be making the playoffs. Should we get there, we're prodigious enough to beat any of the four teams currently there but bad enough to lose from any position!

i dont give a **** if league 1 haslet itself down .

Indeed. I didn't think we were one of the 6 best teams even when we were sat amongst them and we're not too far from being back. In fact, we're only nine points off of the automatic promotion spots.

Our biggest battle will be making the playoffs. Should we get there, we're prodigious enough to beat any of the four teams currently there but bad enough to lose from any position!

Something of an enigma then which could ultimately work in our favour. Teams playing us know we're going to score some and concede some so games should make a good view for the fans.

Play offs are definitely possible, and we know we can entertain when we put our minds to it, but we do have to tighten up a little at the back, and we absolutely MUST do something about this inability to defend set plays.

nice read -

sometimes playing ****e teams the game goes down a standard - certainly seems the case in this League

According to the league table we're the 8th best side in the division which sounds about right. If we make the play offs we'll deserve to be there over the season but I'd agree that we've rarely looked like a side who should be challenging for promotion.

For all the talk about how rubbish League One was when we won it (a very harsh assessment given by those who seemed to want to downplay our achievements that season), the standard this year does seem poor. Swansea and arguably Leeds at least earlier in the season aside, there aren't too many good teams. Forest & Carlisle have had their moments, Donny are playing well right now but the fact that quite mediocre and inconsistent sides such as Walsall, Tranmere and Orient are in contention still tells it's own tale.

I don't think we will make the Play-Offs which is a shame as they were there for the taking. We look to have the pieces now for Tilly to form a new, young side to really challenge over the next season or two so the future should still be a good one even if it doesn't happen this season.

For what it's worth, I thought that our best performance of the season was in one of the games that we actually lost. Carlisle at home saw us play some fantastic football but they stole the points. Sometimes that happens.

Back