• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (fbm @ April 21 2004,21:41)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (southend4ever @ April 21 2004,21:08)]thats not for certain though about those vacancies. Thats just assumptions being made whereas Tilson's contract as manager runs out at the end of the season..

Why didn't Martin just offer him next season as well in the first place. You cannot tell me you are certain that Tilly will get the job. Hence the reason the Echo have started a campaign to make him manager.
Tilly and Brush will get the job.
How do you know for sure?

[b said:
[b said:
Quote[/b] (southend4ever @ April 21 2004,21:08)]thats not for certain though about those vacancies. Thats just assumptions being made whereas Tilson's contract as manager runs out at the end of the season..

Why didn't Martin just offer him next season as well in the first place. You cannot tell me you are certain that Tilly will get the job. Hence the reason the Echo have started a campaign to make him manager.
Yep. When remains to be seen. But it'll be soon.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Napster @ April 22 2004,16:45)]
[b said:
[b said:

What is martin waiting for then... that is the question...
biggrin.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (southend4ever @ April 22 2004,17:10)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Napster @ April 22 2004,16:45)]
[b said:
[b said:

What is martin waiting for then... that is the question...
biggrin.gif
IMHO Martin has been waiting until we were 100% safe, which only happened on Tuesday night.

There is not a manager IN THE WORLD that could have been expected to achieve what these two have done... if Arsene Wenger had taken over I doubt that results would have been any better.

Any manager is an unknown quantity and I quite understand RM's reluctance to appoint them beforehand... I think the performances and results have surprised everyone (perhaps even Tilly and Brush as well) which initially led to a "temporary" appointment until the end of this season.  If after Cardiff we slumped and lost every game we would still be very much in the mire but since then we have actually gone to a new level - the crowd are up, the players are up, they are all saying what could be achieved if they stick together next year, and that shows great bonding and team spirit in my eyes.  What better way to completely screw that up than by appointing ANOTHER manager who would want to bring in his own coaches and players.  Who on earth would want that job knowing the crowd would be against them from day 1?  And what a tough act to follow!  The new team would have to hit promotion form immediately just to be as good as the current team is now!

Football managers are rarely sacked from a winning position... I think T&B knew the score inasmuch as the appointment was only temporary at first.  RM said that if they kept the club up then at the end of the season there would be a more permanent deal.  Refer to Tillys comments after he was appointed here

Tillys comments

and read between the lines.  The tone is very long term.

Lets be realistic.  Dario Gradi is the only manager who would appear to have a job for life.  It's us, the fans, who get managers the sack, and with Tillys reputation he is going to get an awful lot more time and tolerance than Wignall - or anyone else for that matter - got or will get.  When it eventually goes belly up (which it will) for T&B then there will always be a job for Tilly in some capacity, which is what RM means I think.

And as for the Echo campaign... I reckon they know what's coming and have done this just so they can claim the kudos for it when it happens.  I can see the headlines now...

"Echosport campaign wins Ron over", or

"Tilly gets job - thanks to the Echo!"

So far this season I have trusted RM's judgement and I feel he has proved himself to be very shrewd and has refused to panic and buckle, even under the weight of thousands of people clamouring for Stanleys appointment.

Do we feel as if we would be in this position if Stan had become the manager?  Is there one supporter who now thinks that NOT appointing him was a bad idea?

RM is obviously waiting for something.  Maybe even an offer is on the table which T&B will accept tomorrow.  Who knows?

But I'm confident that Ron will see that not appointing them is an absolute non starter.  I therefore predict a 2 year deal, perhaps on a "rolling" basis, to be announced in time for contracts to be negotiated.

And don't worry about the timescale.  Players are paid by SUFC up until the end of June and I'm sure preliminary negotiations with all players have already taken place.  If other clubs want to come in then there's nothing that can be done to stop them.  And it may actually assist because they will know what is on the table elsewhere and can decide whether they are in a position to match or better the offer in order to keep them.

And if players like Connie, Cort and Maher are offered deals at teams in higher divisions, then fair enough.  They would be mad to turn them down.  We'll deal with it as and when.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (blue sky @ April 21 2004,20:59)]There is no 'vacancy' at Roots Hall - Tilson is the manager, Brush is the coach, end of.
The Roeder rumour did the rounds when Wignall was fired and we had all that 'imminent announcement' nonsense from the club. I didnt believe it had much credibility then and it has none at all now IMO.

On the subject of other clubs with vacancies, there may be quite a few in the Summer... My favourites include Borient, Gillingham, Cambridge (again), and Rushden, and thats just the relatively local sides.
Rushden & D have appointed a new manager now. With Stewart Robson as a coach.
rock.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Barry the dog @ April 22 2004,10:50)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (* ORM * @ April 22 2004,08:31)]Ron Atkinson's available
smile.gif

Though we'd have to get rid of half of the squad
sad.gif
Quality.

Cant beleive big Ron got caught slagging off our afro carabbean brothers.

Silly boy.
blues.gif
Silly boy for being caught or silly boy for saying it?

You really should clarify.....

People seem to be worried that a new manager will be appointed because nothing has been said by the club, and also because Tilly and Brush are on short term contracts.

The short term contract issue I think was sensible by RM. We had a completely un-proven manager with an assistant that had just been sacked for doing an poor job at another 3rd Div club. There was no way RM could have imagined that this combination would prove to be so successful. For that reason he was right to keep them only to the end of the season.

However, I now believe that they should be rewarded with longer term contracts. I would assume that RM thinks the same, and may even be working on it. What I would like, however, is a statement from the club telling is what is going on, as I think this is what is causing us fans to worry and speculate. It is the silence that causes the problem.

Back