• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Ron Martin - whats the view now

Well if now after the buyout he does really push for a new ground then Ill be happy.

This is the season to get agreement to move as its not going to get much better than this!

[b said:
Quote[/b] (C C Csiders @ Mar. 08 2006,11:30)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Firestorm @ Mar. 08 2006,11:10)]Bill Rubin, I understand, was a nice bloke, but he never got us anywhere. Mark & Tony....Milton Keynes anyone ?
Which reminds me of the time when Mark and Tony Rubin were running the club, and there was a huge campaign by the fans to get rid of them - which happened in the shape of Anton Johnson and his accolytes McCutcheon and Cranston (?) who were both briefly Chairman.

Well, at one particular game I was in the North Bank, and had taken my cousin, from oop north, to the game. The North Bank were chanting to get rid of the rubins, who were both, like their father, of semitic persuasion. They were singing a song to get rid of them, to the tune of what is colloquially known as "Here We Go", and my cousin turned to me and said "what number for Southend is Bernard Hughes!"  
biggrin.gif

Sing Bernard Hughes to "Here We Go" if you need to!
wink.gif
They were very naughty boys in the North Bank in those days. There is no way that sort of chant could happen these days.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (canveyshrimper @ Mar. 08 2006,13:02)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (C C Csiders @ Mar. 08 2006,11:30)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Firestorm @ Mar. 08 2006,11:10)]Bill Rubin, I understand, was a nice bloke, but he never got us anywhere. Mark & Tony....Milton Keynes anyone ?
Which reminds me of the time when Mark and Tony Rubin were running the club, and there was a huge campaign by the fans to get rid of them - which happened in the shape of Anton Johnson and his accolytes McCutcheon and Cranston (?) who were both briefly Chairman.

Well, at one particular game I was in the North Bank, and had taken my cousin, from oop north, to the game. The North Bank were chanting to get rid of the rubins, who were both, like their father, of semitic persuasion. They were singing a song to get rid of them, to the tune of what is colloquially known as "Here We Go", and my cousin turned to me and said "what number for Southend is Bernard Hughes!"  
biggrin.gif

Sing Bernard Hughes to "Here We Go" if you need to!
wink.gif
They were very naughty boys in the North Bank in those days. There is no way that sort of chant could happen these days.
I also recall a highly controversial version of "I never felt more like signing the blues"

Didn't the Daily Mirror mention Anti semetic chanting after one Friday night game ?

There was an acceptable version of "Do wa diddy" as well

The Rubin boys really did get the fans annoyed, Banners badges etc accompanied the protests . I recall someone persuading a number of kids on the south bank to each hold up a card with one letter on it spelling "Rubins out" in a superb bit of coreography it was changed to "U Robin Us" (the lad with the T had a rest....

Oh dear, I had forgotten about the singing the blues song, and the Doo Wah Diddy in my senility. There was an article about anti-semitism, can't remember if it was the Mirror or not though.

The Rubins really started to get peoples backs up when they started talking about moving to Milton Keynes, and i think some bright spark started a collection for their train fares. Remember taht South Bank protest well
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

My feelings about RM can be summed up by a Megadeth album title - so far, so good... so what? The next couple of years will show how committed he is but if his legacy is financial security, consolidation in the Championship and a lovely new stadium then he's surely done all we could ask of him? Time will tell...

Thats a bloody long album title
wow.gif

Like most peope I have a natural distrust for chairman. I dont know enough about his business dealing off the field but on it he has been a revelation.

Gates are the highest we have had since I started coming (1985-1986 season) , the football team is playing the best football I can recall , we have players and a manager in demmand and now the ground is a massive boost.

I love to see him on the pitch at the end of the game which to me shows his commitment.

DtS
ghostface.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (hexagon_sun @ Mar. 08 2006,13:54)]My feelings about RM can be summed up by a Megadeth album title - so far, so good... so what? The next couple of years will show how committed he is but if his legacy is financial security, consolidation in the Championship and a lovely new stadium then he's surely done all we could ask of him? Time will tell...

Thats a bloody long album title  
wow.gif
Oops I was meant to quote your post not edit it - havent quite got the hang of this administrator lark

laugh.gif
oops.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Dave the Shrimper @ Mar. 08 2006,13:59)]Like most peope I have a natural distrust for chairman. I dont know enough about his business dealing off the field but on it he has been a revelation.

Gates are the highest we have had since I started coming (1985-1986 season) , the football team is playing the best football I can recall , we have players and a manager in demmand and now the ground is a massive boost.

I love to see him on the pitch at the end of the game which to me shows his commitment.

DtS  
ghostface.gif
This post has ORM's seal of approval.

Given our history over the last 30 years we're right to be wary. We're also very pre-judgemental on so many issues, not least JCR and Fossetts. RM has delivered much so far and why should we doubt him on these two issues ? I see the silence on JCR as a positive until proven otherwise.

Probably the same reason a few of us doubted Bradbury who seems to have proven to be yet another inspirational Tilly signing. We're ALL doom and gloom merchants.

Those of us that are quick to express our misgivings should also be man enough to praise RM's current track record. We know the club lurks on here. I'd like to give RM and the club ORM's unreserved seal of approval (that's 2 issued in 1 day !).

Of course everyone is wary of the Chairman, the man motivated by greed and a quick profit, who couldn't really give a toss about the Club, players or fans ( hello Freddy Shepherd ).

But I've seen enough of RM over the years to think otherwise, and until he proves me wrong I'm backing him all the way.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (GodblessArthurRowley @ Mar. 07 2006,17:20)]For me it was Bury away a couple of years ago I mean what sort of chairman comes into the crowd to celebrate an away win at Bury for goodness sake?
the same Chairman who stood with the away fans at the Swansea Vetch under Rod Norman's reign.

the same Chairman who is one of the first on the pitch to celebrate with the players and applaud the fans

Something else in Ron Martin's favour is that he ahsn't sold freddie Eastwood yet. Brentford were quick to cash in on DJ Cambell and sell him to Birmingham. DJ Cambell isn't half the player that Eastwood is but Ron martin has refused to sell him.

We all know he will eventually be sold but at least he has been kept for the whole of this season to help with our promotion bid.

Back