• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Ron provides another managerial update

After today’s result, I wouldn’t have thought Millwall would be in any rush to appoint a replacement. This could rumble on for a bit longer yet.

It might be we just didn’t do it by the book- maybe AB cleared it with NH, maybe even the Millwall chairman knew, but we didn’t make the correct formal approach. After all it was hardly done in secret or in a way that even suggests it was knowingly wrong. Even assuming it was.

Is there actually anything wrong with a coach being interviewed by another club without them knowing? Genuine question. Because outside of football people don’t need permission when contracted to another company to have interviews elsewhere.

Ron has an update on his update:-

Dear Fans,

I feel I must come clean about this whole debacle.

I had originally intended to go on holiday for a few days but after seeing the car crash of Kevin Bond as a manager, a man I appointed on the basis he was related to James back fires horrendously. I therefore came to my senses and hid for several weeks.

Upon my return as you know I begged Kevin to leave as it was clear he could barely manage to brush his teeth let alone a football team, in the end Kev decided to step down to fulfil an ambition of his he was more suited to - being a corner flag in the Poole and district Sunday league.

Gary came in as care taker and to be fair, he gave me food for thought, by making us look at least Southern Premier competitive. However I wanted to get in some back up options if he couldn’t repair our sinking ship.

As has been we’ll documented Henrik has been at recent games and he was very interested, as was I in such a global super star potentially coming to our club. I also interviewed Adam and Tilly, Sol Campbell and applicant number 5.

I was suitably impressed by all but thought it imperative I go and meet Henriks back room team, he also mentioned the possibility of some investment in the team! Upon my arrival I met Henrik or Big H as he prefers and Johan. Johan’s command of English was far greater than Big H’s And after an hour or so of showing them some drawings of Fossets I made with some crayons Johan shook his head and slapped Henrik! Johan stood up I disgust and announced “ this is Soutnend United not Southampton you fool, how can’t you tell the difference Henrik!” Henrik then mumbled some ABBA sounding words and said he would not be interested now and his financial backer (papa smurf) would not invest.

I left Sweden but felt confident my back ups would work. I phoned Sol just after our defeat to the Barcelona of youth football Brighton. Sol said he was unable to join us today as he had won a completion to be a mascot at Nottingham Forest and in fact he changed his mind about us too. Never mind I thought Adam and Tilly incoming ...Adam then goes and bags himself the Millwall job and Tilly says he is now playing golf for the next decade!

However fans I am pleased to announce the applicant 5 has agreed to be our manager. He is a Southend legend and will be ably assisted by another and will certainly get you all onside - please welcome Julian Hails and Leo Roget!

The biggest mistake RM has made recently is not the appointment of Bond it’s the drawn out saga in appointing his replacement. Its certainly negligent to have taken so long when we are in such free fall, but i can’t decide if it’s RM arrogance (that we’ll survive once he selects the next manager) or if it’s intentional (so we go down - for what reason I do not know, perhaps to force a squad clear out?).

I’m naturally an optimist, however I can’t see anyway that we avoid relegation this season. I hope I’m proved wrong, but the length of delay is only compounding our perilous situation.

Come on Ron, put the messiah complex to one side and get the next manager in place now!

The biggest mistake RM has made recently is not the appointment of Bond it’s the drawn out saga in appointing his replacement. Its certainly negligent to have taken so long when we are in such free fall, but i can’t decide if it’s RM arrogance (that we’ll survive once he selects the next manager) or if it’s intentional (so we go down - for what reason I do not know, perhaps to force a squad clear out?).

I’m naturally an optimist, however I can’t see anyway that we avoid relegation this season. I hope I’m proved wrong, but the length of delay is only compounding our perilous situation.

Come on Ron, put the messiah complex to one side and get the next manager in place now!
This would be the biggest escape if we avoid relegation better than last season

Yep. Our dear Chairman’s “due diligence” is so good that he didn’t ask permission to speak to AB. This has probably killed it.

Nothing to stop two old pals discussing football in one of Benfleets many mahogany panelled, leather chair filled private members clubs.

Or the Benfleet Tavern.

Bet no announcement will be made this week Gary Waddock will be in charge this Saturday

Ron says he will give the fans his reasons for appointing the new manager. He knows that Larsson will not be a popular choice and his statement is likely to try and give the fans some reassurance. If he was going to appoint Adam I doubt if he would be considering doing anything similar, he knows most fans would be delighted. Unfortunately it looks like Larsson will be the successful candidate.

Ron says he will give the fans his reasons for appointing the new manager. He knows that Larsson will not be a popular choice and his statement is likely to try and give the fans some reassurance. If he was going to appoint Adam I doubt if he would be considering doing anything similar, he knows most fans would be delighted. Unfortunately it looks like Larsson will be the successful candidate.

Yes, explaining Henrik Larrson's appointment would be a real challenge. The Chairman's due diligence process would show that Larrson has a relatively average track record as a manager in Sweden, has no experience in Division 1 in which Southend languishes, would be very expensive when you add his backroom to the equation, and has been preferred over other candidates, with much better actual or prospective managerial credentials, who would also be much cheaper to hire. Hardly a textbook example in rational decision-making.

Is there actually anything wrong with a coach being interviewed by another club without them knowing? Genuine question. Because outside of football people don’t need permission when contracted to another company to have interviews elsewhere.

Good point. You’re right, but maybe there is something as standard in football contracts that changes things. Few jobs are as central to a business as a football player or manager. Beyond that, the need to negotiate a release from a contract (instead of just resigning as we all do) means good relations between clubs are important. Clubs can just refuse to release people from contracts and it seems like there’s no way around that, or if there is I haven’t seen it. So it might be more about relationships than legality?

Yes, explaining Henrik Larrson's appointment would be a real challenge. The Chairman's due diligence process would show that Larrson has a relatively average track record as a manager in Sweden, has no experience in Division 1 in which Southend languishes, would be very expensive when you add his backroom to the equation, and has been preferred over other candidates, with much better actual or prospective managerial credentials, who would also be much cheaper to hire. Hardly a textbook example in rational decision-making.

Lets not forget that in football its a two way process. The likes of AB or Sol may have decided its not for them.

For Tilson its his only chance of getting back in the game. For AB the risk is extremely high and one he doesn't need to take so early in his career.

All the talk from fans is we need a'motivator'. If only football were that easy.....Its not and it will need a lot more than that because with the injury list mounting yet again the team will pick itself until January.....With the mentality our squad have at the moment and a history of downing tools without an ounce of shame......That's a very weak position to be in as a manger.

And no it wont be all smiles and slaps on the back for AB as we slide into L2......As has proved in the past, some of the loudest on here will be the first to stab AB in the back.

I think Neil Harris has probably thrown a massive spanner in the works by leaving Millwall when he did regarding AB. Personaly if AB is our prefered choice I'd offer him a take it or leave it contract now (AB) and try to usurp Millwall as they're unlikely to offer him a permenant deal until he's won their next few games. The if AB is sensible he'd take it otherwise he could end up out of a job altogether if Millwall bring in someone else.

Back