• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Ron provides another managerial update

I think Neil Harris has probably thrown a massive spanner in the works by leaving Millwall when he did regarding AB. Personaly if AB is our prefered choice I'd offer him a take it or leave it contract now (AB) and try to usurp Millwall as they're unlikely to offer him a permenant deal until he's won their next few games. The if AB is sensible he'd take it otherwise he could end up out of a job altogether if Millwall bring in someone else.

The sensible approach would be concentrate on Millwall and get results, where the boad will have to give him the role, similar to Tilly at Southend, when Collymore,Atkins names where thrown in the ring ,he and Brush got on with the job and made Ron have to offer him the job

I think Neil Harris has probably thrown a massive spanner in the works by leaving Millwall when he did regarding AB. Personaly if AB is our prefered choice I'd offer him a take it or leave it contract now (AB) and try to usurp Millwall as they're unlikely to offer him a permenant deal until he's won their next few games. The if AB is sensible he'd take it otherwise he could end up out of a job altogether if Millwall bring in someone else.

Exactly my thinking, offer him it now and it would be real tricky for AB to say no and gamble on being given a few more games to manage Millwall, if he stays there and they get hammered in the next game then he could be in big trouble job wise.

Bring AB home Ron! You know its the right thing to do

Rob1920, I think you are right. If the Chairman wants Adam Barrett, he has to make a firm offer of a permanent position as manager now. In a sense, Neil Harris may have done Barrett a favour. He gave him an opportunity to take over Millwal in a caretaker capacity and demonstrate against Leeds at the weekend he has far more to offer as a manager than simply passion.

Is there actually anything wrong with a coach being interviewed by another club without them knowing? Genuine question. Because outside of football people don’t need permission when contracted to another company to have interviews elsewhere.

As already mentioned, definitely not. The downside to doing so though is in this (rather irritating ?) age of 'soshial meedia', you never know who's watching - which means the word might just get back to that person's employers where it could get a tad awkward..... :Unsure:

As already mentioned, definitely not. The downside to doing so though is in this (rather irritating ?) age of 'soshial meedia', you never know who's watching - which means the word might just get back to that person's employers where it could get a tad awkward..... :Unsure:

It not a question of employment law but league rules- rules regarding this apply to managerial staff just as they do to player. You can't make a "illegal" approach- i.e, approach someone under contract at another club without that club's permission. No doubt happens in secret but this was very open so I rather think its a communication or process issue rather than something deliberately untoward..

Last edited:
Ron's well-documented meeting with AB and Tilly has really set the cat amongst the pigeons. Just how is Ron now going to have a timely and reasonable conversation with the Lions. Unless there has been a misunderstanding somewhere then Millwall are going to be in no hurry to release Adam, if he is the preferred candidate, let alone even give Ron the time of day for a chat. And time is something Ron does not have. What a blooper by Ron if he wants AB.

Ron's well-documented meeting with AB and Tilly has really set the cat amongst the pigeons. Just how is Ron now going to have a timely and reasonable conversation with the Lions. Unless there has been a misunderstanding somewhere then Millwall are going to be in no hurry to release Adam, if he is the preferred candidate, let alone even give Ron the time of day for a chat. And time is something Ron does not have. What a blooper by Ron if he wants AB.

No one expected Harris to leave. Ron is quite rightly taking his time after the sacking of Brown, Powell & Bond in short succession and it's just bad luck. There is no guarantee that AB was going to be offered the job, let alone if he actually wanted it.

It not a question of employment law but league rules- rules regarding this apply to managerial staff just as the do to player. You can't make a "illegal" approach- i.e, approach someone under contract at another club with that club's permission. No doubt happens in secret but this was very open so I rather think its a communication or process issue rather than something deliberately untoward..

I forget now the circumstances of Steve Kavanagh's departure to Milllwall.

Are they still on good terms?

Might Kavanagh have phoned up Ron after Harris handed in his notice and asked him to not say anything public until Millwall had announced Harris' successor?

Has anybody thought that the Harris departure or at least the timing of it and news of Ron interviewing Barrett might be linked?.......If Harris knew that Barrett was going to that meeting but didnt inform the Millwall board, perhaps there was a difficult conversation which culminated in Harris saying adios? I cant help but feel that its quite a coincidence that all this happened so close together.......Perhaps Millwall feel that by promoting Barrett puts them in a no lose situation, Barrett is unlikely to leave whilst in caretaker charge and if it comes off (which it looks like it did on Saturday) then they have a ready replacement at minimal cost

Has anybody thought that the Harris departure or at least the timing of it and news of Ron interviewing Barrett might be linked?.......If Harris knew that Barrett was going to that meeting but didnt inform the Millwall board, perhaps there was a difficult conversation which culminated in Harris saying adios? I cant help but feel that its quite a coincidence that all this happened so close together.......Perhaps Millwall feel that by promoting Barrett puts them in a no lose situation, Barrett is unlikely to leave whilst in caretaker charge and if it comes off (which it looks like it did on Saturday) then they have a ready replacement at minimal cost

Alternatively AB could be jobless very shortly IF they get someone like Cahill in and they bring in their own backroom staff.

All the talk from fans is we need a'motivator'. If only football were that easy.....Its not and it will need a lot more than that because with the injury list mounting yet again the team will pick itself until January.....With the mentality our squad have at the moment and a history of downing tools without an ounce of shame.
Haven’t you demonstrated exactly why we need a motivator? Of course it’s not everything and no one is saying it is- but I would say that for this particular group of players at this time it is the most important characteristic

I think this is a classic case of making the circumstances fit the event. I also think that Millwall - being in the Championship and all - would not have seen AB as a saviour before the Leeds game so the sort of thought process detailed above wouldn't have even entered their minds. After all - he could have presided over a 5-0 home defeat!

Millwall are going to want someone with a much higher profile I would have thought.

We need a variety of skills from man motivation to football skills and game management. That's what's needed in the management team, not necessarily all in 1 person.
A motivational manager with a technically sound football coach and fitness guru would be the ideal management team if we could find it.
Any selection process has to evaluate all aspects of the manager AND his team against the required skills.
Good luck Ron, we all want you to find the dream team to end our current nightmare season.

Haven’t you demonstrated exactly why we need a motivator? Of course it’s not everything and no one is saying it is- but I would say that for this particular group of players at this time it is the most important characteristic

Yes i'm not disagreeing with you. My point is we need more than just a motivator. Not Saying AB hasn't got other skills just reminding some fans that it will need more than just the word passion to salvage anything before Christmas.......A battling performance at MK was followed by Accrington at home. The drop off in performance can't be just down to the manager not motivating players enough.

If Millwall have someone else in mind, presumably they will want them in pdq otherwise AB winning streak may make it difficult to overlook him??

If Millwall have someone else in mind, presumably they will want them in pdq otherwise AB winning streak may make it difficult to overlook him??
Or maybe like us they have a chairman who will spend a month chasing the biggest international name who has been recommended to him while periodically publishing updates on the official club site that have to be taken down after an hour because they compromise the whole selection process.

Last edited:
Back