• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Breaking News Ron speaks

Yeah because I’m talking about 1 day off aren’t I. Those injuries were no coincidence. The training schedule was light and the bodies weren’t up to the physical tasks of a game of football. Players have left us and gone to teams in lower divisions and they haven’t been happy with the fitness levels they arrived with

It’s been a long standing problem started by Powell in his summer window
May I ask what you know about training a Football League side? And please don't say it was 'obvious'.
The hard yards, as most will tell you, are done in the summer, and I asked QPR's Mark Warburton about this. The rest, especially in the winter months, is 'maintenance' as he put it.
I posted earlier there were maybe five players CP signed permanently or on loan that didn't work out - and was corrected that Hart was OK, so four out of 12.
Injuries didn't help, they never do, and maybe CP should have gone round with a bullwhip, but clearly you have an agenda, and I aint gonna stop you having a rant.
If you have any grounds, ie evidence about players not being trained properly, let's have it.
You've produced none so far apart from the players had a Monday off after Peterbrough, and even then, you've not said why, because I suspect you don't know.

May I ask what you know about training a Football League side? And please don't say it was 'obvious'.
The hard yards, as most will tell you, are done in the summer, and I asked QPR's Mark Warburton about this. The rest, especially in the winter months, is 'maintenance' as he put it.
I posted earlier there were maybe five players CP signed permanently or on loan that didn't work out - and was corrected that Hart was OK, so four out of 12.
Injuries didn't help, they never do, and maybe CP should have gone round with a bullwhip, but clearly you have an agenda, and I aint gonna stop you having a rant.
If you have any grounds, ie evidence about players not being trained properly, let's have it.
You've produced none so far apart from the players had a Monday off after Peterbrough, and even then, you've not said why, because I suspect you don't know.

No you’re right. I don’t know why they had the day off after another loss. Maybe matey can tell you. But it wasn’t a first offence was it. You know it and I know it. Training was non existent

Literally just defending your pal. You cannot possible be defending him as a manager

Last edited:
@Chris Powell's mate ... out of interest. Do you think your mate was wrongly sacked and if he was still here we would be in this mess? Genuinely do you think he could’ve turned things around?
Ron reckoned 'some' players weren't 'trying' under CP.
How do you fix that? It's not like motivation needs physiotherapy to make good.
In his Echo statement, Ron said Brown had lost the dressing room.
Given that evidence, it's clear we've had bad apples for a while.
Was it wrong to sack CP?
I don't think chairs like sacking legends, but when your back's to the wall, you have to do something, I guess.
I honestly believe we got plain lucky to escape relegation as we did.
Sunderland had stuff-all to play for in that final match, and we seemed to dredge up all the effort and motivation lacking in previous months.
Elvis had his best game to date in that win, and even then, we scored at the right time.
Could CP have done that?
I'm pretty sure it wasn't down to the efforts of Kevin Bond.
Ron's biggest mistake was to appoint him permanently.
Not one of Bond's seven permanents and two loans have even remotely looked the part on any consistent basis.

No you’re right. I don’t know why they had the day off after another loss. Maybe matey can tell you. But it wasn’t a first offence was it. You know it and I know it. Training was non existent

Literally just defending your pal. You cannot possible be defending him as a manager
It's not about defending: it's about balance.
You say 'offence': what offence? I keep asking what was the reason, and all you do is judge and jury without a shred of evidence.
'Training was non-existent'. Do you seriously believe that?
And while we're here, what exactly do you mean by training? A five-mile cross country? 200 shuttle-runs? Heaving the changing rooms a bit to the left?
OK, so you don't/didn't like CP.
You've made that as plain as our perilous position. But if you think you've made any serious case about his training methods, I'll let the rest of the forum judge.

Ron reckoned 'some' players weren't 'trying' under CP.
How do you fix that? It's not like motivation needs physiotherapy to make good.
In his Echo statement, Ron said Brown had lost the dressing room.
Given that evidence, it's clear we've had bad apples for a while.
Was it wrong to sack CP?
I don't think chairs like sacking legends, but when your back's to the wall, you have to do something, I guess.
I honestly believe we got plain lucky to escape relegation as we did.
Sunderland had stuff-all to play for in that final match, and we seemed to dredge up all the effort and motivation lacking in previous months.
Elvis had his best game to date in that win, and even then, we scored at the right time.
Could CP have done that?
I'm pretty sure it wasn't down to the efforts of Kevin Bond.
Ron's biggest mistake was to appoint him permanently.
Not one of Bond's seven permanents and two loans have even remotely looked the part on any consistent basis.
Fair assessment that. I think Ron took leave of his senses, appointing Bond full time. The point is, all the issues pre-date this season and for whatever reason, CP wasn’t able to address the slide. Since the end of the PB era this squad has been imbalanced and had disruptive influences. Powell got rid of a few, not all. Fitness, well maybe CP did need to crack the bloody whip and stop being so nice. A good start to the season and the form of Hopper papered over some cracks in my opinion.

You say 'offence': what offence? I keep asking what was the reason, and all you do is judge and jury without a shred of evidence.
And while we're here, what exactly do you mean by training? A five-mile cross country? 200 shuttle-runs? Heaving the changing rooms a bit to the left?
You've made that as plain as our perilous position. But if you think you've made any serious case about his training methods, I'll let the rest of the forum judge.

I will tell you what I know about Chris' training.....Chris liked to have a day away from us during the week so the players were definitely left to their own devices on one day. Training was also only half a day anyway, they were left to do their own thing in the afternoon.

Under previous managers that would have meant swimming, gym work or a bit of static bike work - cardio stuff for stamina in the main - plenty of people who used to see them at David Lloyd have said they seemed to disappear which would back up the theory that being left to their own devices meant pretty much a token effort.

Yes because I watched what got served up on a Saturday, you know, what you train for and we were ****. Tactically absolutely clueless

Nice fella maybe but I wouldn’t want him managing under 10’s

Yes because I watched what got served up on a Saturday, you know, what you train for and we were ****. Tactically absolutely clueless

Nice fella maybe but I wouldn’t want him managing under 10’s
Have you ever managed a junior side? It's worse than coping with adults!
'What we got served up on a Saturday' (or midweek)? Are we talking his first half season, or the second until March 26?
What do you think the tactics were, and what should they have been?

I will tell you what I know about Chris' training.....Chris liked to have a day away from us during the week so the players were definitely left to their own devices on one day. Training was also only half a day anyway, they were left to do their own thing in the afternoon.

Under previous managers that would have meant swimming, gym work or a bit of static bike work - cardio stuff for stamina in the main - plenty of people who used to see them at David Lloyd have said they seemed to disappear which would back up the theory that being left to their own devices meant pretty much a token effort.
If you're right, and why not? What does it say about the squad and its care and concern for Southend United?
David Webb once told me: 'If you can't recruit from within the M25 - forget it. The rest could care less'.
Yes, players only train half a day: but how long are you in the gym?
After training, Franco Zola then used to spend one maybe two hours perfecting free-kicks all on his own at the Chelsea training ground.
That's why he was a playing star, and maybe why a lot of Lge 1/2 players are what they are.
I despise their attitude of 'getting away with it' - and there's plenty of them.

There's a good piece in Ian Wright's Autobiography about how he stayed behind in the afternoons practising shooting into an empty goal, but picking certain points in the goal netting itself and aiming at them until he had perfected hitting that spot. Then he would try a different part on another day.

It's all about doing something until it almost becomes routine to be able to do it.

Back