• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Breaking News Ron speaks

I think we're talking two different things.
The squad he assembled and whether he worked them hard enough.
I was commenting on the squad, and have no idea what went on at Boots & Laces up to March 26 when CP was sacked.
Well, it looked an ok squad in the first half of the season. Injuries didn’t help. To be fair it probably threw him, especially Hopper’s one. But .. the ones that were left were unfit, it seems badly so .. look at the comments about Theo from Col Ewe. How did it get SO bad???

I'd imagine the former,which at the end of the day is perhaps more important.
The only trouble with that is we've been talking about it for 20 years.
In between, we've been to the Millennium, Wembley Stadiums a total of five times, been up and down like the proverbial yo-yo; beaten Man U; had villains; heroes, and 12 managers.
The ground sounds nice but 'important'? Look at MK Dons and their stadium for an important project gone wrong.

And your point is?
What were the circumstances of the day off? A little insight would go a long way.

You came at me in my original post for calling Powell out because he just thought this would all go away if he ran away from it and hid at home and let the players have a day off

He never thought he’d be sacked here because of who he was and you’ll never change my mind. Absolute dosser

You came at me in my original post for calling Powell out because he just thought this would all go away if he ran away from it and hid at home and let the players have a day off

He never thought he’d be sacked here because of who he was and you’ll never change my mind. Absolute dosser
Not a great manager for us agree but an absolute dosser? Are you talking about yourself ab ?

Not a great manager for us agree but an absolute dosser? Are you talking about yourself ab ?

I’d look at CPs record now and look at how managers have performed since given a similar size / ability in the squad and say that CP proved to be a very good manager.

There were no real drubbings....Donnie and Barnsley 3-0s and Scunthorpe 4-1 aside....and he was laughed at for placing some importance on goal difference....despite staying up on it!!

We were competitive in almost every game despite the injuries that still haunt is today

What did he do? Gave us the unfittest squad ever
Still a great player and a man of the highest calibre, yes he should have been harder but I blame the players for making sure they were fit, Coxy now past his best was fit like John White both near the end of their careers, do they have any professional pride? NO

Still a great player and a man of the highest calibre, yes he should have been harder but I blame the players for making sure they were fit, Coxy now past his best was fit like John White both near the end of their careers, do they have any professional pride? NO
Oh that’s alright then. As long as he’s still “Sir” Chris Powell when we’re languishing in the basement division next season that’s all that matters

Did he? Because he gave them a day off after a bad defeat? When due to injuries Players like Elvis were starting 20 games in a row....

Do we actually know the squad were unfit in March?

Yeah because I’m talking about 1 day off aren’t I. Those injuries were no coincidence. The training schedule was light and the bodies weren’t up to the physical tasks of a game of football. Players have left us and gone to teams in lower divisions and they haven’t been happy with the fitness levels they arrived with

It’s been a long standing problem started by Powell in his summer window

Yeah because I’m talking about 1 day off aren’t I. Those injuries were no coincidence. The training schedule was light and the bodies weren’t up to the physical tasks of a game of football. Players have left us and gone to teams in lower divisions and they haven’t been happy with the fitness levels they arrived with

It’s been a long standing problem started by Powell in his summer window

None of the long term injuries can be attributed to the training schedule or the S&C staff....but we’ve been there and discussed that before....

Broken legs, ACLs and Ruptured Achilles are not fitness issues in the slightest. All other short term injuries are normal and part and parcel of elite sport....barring regular occurrences which can be attributed to certain types of player personalities.

Players who have left to go to other teams and been met with that criticism are players that left this summer not last March

Timlin was on borrowed time because he couldn't keep his fists in his pockets.....So Ron isn't being straight with that one.

Wordsworth sulked and couldn't be bothered during his very last game because he was put out on the left. At the time Dru was everyone's first choice as CM but his long term set back happened in that last game. None of us knew that was the start of the injury curse that still continues.

Timlin and Wordsworth only have themselves to blame even though for very different reasons. No one was to upset at the time so lets not change history now.

Bollocks. Powell told Woody he saw him as being wide left. Woody disagreed - as anyone with an ounce of football knowledge would know, Woody was best played as an attacking CM, as most would agree with. Woody had been on the point of agreeing a new contract, put to him by Brown - Powell told him where he wanted him to play, which was wide left. Totally because he saw his favoured player, his "son" according to several players, playing the ACM role.

Did he? Because he gave them a day off after a bad defeat? When due to injuries Players like Elvis were starting 20 games in a row....

Do we actually know the squad were unfit in March?
Actually, we do know that the players were on a downward spiral back then for fitness. Being left to their own devices far too often was a recipe for disaster.

Actually, we do know that the players were on a downward spiral back then for fitness. Being left to their own devices far too often was a recipe for disaster.

The fitness issues - if any - were due to the squad size and limited options meaning players had to over play. Days off at training were a way of preserving what little energy the squad had for matches.

Bollocks. Powell told Woody he saw him as being wide left. Woody disagreed - as anyone with an ounce of football knowledge would know, Woody was best played as an attacking CM, as most would agree with. Woody had been on the point of agreeing a new contract, put to him by Brown - Powell told him where he wanted him to play, which was wide left. Totally because he saw his favoured player, his "son" according to several players, playing the ACM role.
OBL as an 61 year old ex army , fireman I’m shocked at your opening word, although I have a pair ,Anthony Wordsworth an injury prone waste of a talent, at his best definitely a Championship plater

OBL as an 61 year old ex army , fireman I’m shocked at your opening word, although I have a pair ,Anthony Wordsworth an injury prone waste of a talent, at his best definitely a Championship plater

Steve, as someone who worked with me, I doubt you'd be shocked!!!

I think it’s pretty clear there were problems at the club, behind the scenes, from Brown’s departure onwards. Something wasn’t right and that pre-dates Bond’s arrival. Clearly Ron pulling the trigger wasn’t just to do with results. In Powell’s defence yes he was cursed with very bad injuries all at the same time. Yes he was forced to play players that he wouldn’t have otherwise. However, Ron’s error wasn’t sacking Powell it was replacing him with a joker like Kevin Bond. And lest I remind everyone he was on the verge of appointing Larsson. Though .. who knows??? Larsson could’ve been the messiah ..

Back