• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ron IMO has promised to many false dawns.

Banging on and on regarding FF yet he finally gets permission to build the thing YET 450 days later not a sausage!!In fact he is still altering the plans meaning the project is delayed further.

The warchest saga.

We will be signing players..........When?

We have learnt from previous seasons and we will be signing players early doors..Yeah right

The tax adventure...This is the second or maybe the third occassion the club are facing uncertainty due to unpaid taxation.

Tilly is forced to scrape around for players as the current squad could easily face a battle against the drop,Tilson is left carrying the can simply because if results go really wrong the fans will get on Steves back.

Yes Ron is bang out of order for this credit crunch thing - it's his fault the banks aren't currently lending money to fund huge developments. Get a ****ing grip....

Yes Ron is bang out of order for this credit crunch thing - it's his fault the banks aren't currently lending money to fund huge developments. Get a ****ing grip....

The credit crunch has played a major part..No doubt about it,Yet why not start some groundworks..Foundations maybe?I am not suggesting FF should have been complete by now..But come on during those 450 days the club could have done far more than what they have done.

Ron IMO has promised to many false dawns.

Banging on and on regarding FF yet he finally gets permission to build the thing YET 450 days later not a sausage!!In fact he is still altering the plans meaning the project is delayed further.

The warchest saga.

We will be signing players..........When?

We have learnt from previous seasons and we will be signing players early doors..Yeah right

The tax adventure...This is the second or maybe the third occassion the club are facing uncertainty due to unpaid taxation.

Tilly is forced to scrape around for players as the current squad could easily face a battle against the drop,Tilson is left carrying the can simply because if results go really wrong the fans will get on Steves back.

Other titbits

Why would Ron try and belittle a person who did not understand club accounts?

Ron soon advised us all of the impending tax situation..Since then silence.

Why would club officials ask the people on this site to identify a certain user?Seems to me the user was only asking relevant questions and certainly never deserved the club backlash.

Why would Ron refuse to comment regarding the Prospects situation even though Prospects openly stated they have tried to strike a deal with the club on several occasions without any success.

So many questions.

I think the 'warchest' comment was made in 2007/08 before we signed Alex Revell for £150k so I think that's where that went.
I said on here at the end of last season I thought Ron was foolish in announcing we had identified targets and would make signings before the start of this season - there are simply too many things outside of his control to guarantee that.
I think many of us would welcome some news on the HMRC and Prospects situation but given there are almost certainly some very delicate negotiations going on, that may be a reason for the silence from the club.
Given that some of the people who demand statments from the club, then immediately dismiss them as spin, that may also have contibuted to the lack of recent statments.
One of the problems I have with the anti-Ron brigade is that they disbelieve everything he says but take as the gospel truth anything his critics say. The Prospects situation seems a prime example. All we actually know about that is that they have tried to do some of their negotiations via The Echo and threatened not to sell at all if they don't get the price they want. On that basis I wouldn't trust the Prospects boss further than I can throw him.

The credit crunch has played a major part..No doubt about it,Yet why not start some groundworks..Foundations maybe?I am not suggesting FF should have been complete by now..But come on during those 450 days the club could have done far more than what they have done.

Good idea. There are many building projects in the area that have been started but are nowhere near completion, I guess because of lack of finances. I would rather we be in a position to start and finish the project, rather than having to abandon it.

Other titbits

Why would Ron try and belittle a person who did not understand club accounts?
Because the guy made a complete idiot of himself! How could he object to the accounts being signed off when he didn't even try to understand them? If he objected due to a descrepency or omission that he had given the club the opportunity to explain or rectify and they didn't - fair enough. But to object to something you don't understand opens you up to look a fool! I think he belittled himself mainly.
Ron soon advised us all of the impending tax situation..Since then silence.
He said at the AGM it will be sorted. What more can he say? I must admit its getting a bit tight to get the money now and I am nervious, but can't think of anything else he could say atm.
Why would club officials ask the people on this site to identify a certain user?Seems to me the user was only asking relevant questions and certainly never deserved the club backlash.
I don't know anything about this one. But my guess/hope would be to chat with them to clear up an untruth/misconception? Not much they could do if they were spouting truth that they didn't like unless they suspect its an employee.

Why would Ron refuse to comment regarding the Prospects situation even though Prospects openly stated they have tried to strike a deal with the club on several occasions without any success.

So many questions.
Many things in business deals are kept confidential. Maybe Ron doesn't feel its in the best interests of brokering a deal to broadcast negotions?

I don't care about the personality or approachability of the chairman. Under Vic we were in the second tier for longer, had a decent sized squad and paid £500k for a player. Mr Martin might be a charming fellow with an outrageous head of hair but he's not matched up in any of those categories.

We were in second tier for longer under Vic though ultimately it proved unsustainable and the latter part of his reign (including the £500k signing) may well have sown the seeds of our subsequent financial problems including those that we're suffering from now.
The jury is still out on Ron's reign - he may prove to build a legacy far more substantial than Jobson's. As I've said a number of times on here to the people who believe Ron's a charlatan - what is the alternative?

Good idea. There are many building projects in the area that have been started but are nowhere near completion, I guess because of lack of finances. I would rather we be in a position to start and finish the project, rather than having to abandon it.

Brighton seem to be managing to build ok.

You mean Ron isnt rich?..Bugger.com

Dont mean to be rude but I have totally lost all sense of what your point is?

Ron does not control the financial markets, he had little or no effect on the credit crunch, he is now a billionaire and so cant pour his own money in. What exactly do you want the guy to do?

Why would he start doing some of the foundation work when he still needs funding? Would you start work on a new house whilst you were still negotiating to buy it?

Ron does not control the financial markets, he had little or no effect on the credit crunch, he is now a billionaire and so cant pour his own money in. What exactly do you want the guy to do?

Why would he start doing some of the foundation work when he still needs funding? Would you start work on a new house whilst you were still negotiating to buy it?

Dave, I'm with you on this one. What started as a reasonable debate has now become petty and the points trying to be made are the same old boring stuff.

I take it you mean 'not' a billionaire instead of now?

Vic Jobson was, in my opinion, an obnoxious individual who had long since used up the goodwill he aquired and deserved through saving the club, well before he died.

His penchant for futile and unjustifiable litigation crippled the club's finances (nearly as much as Whelan's wages and bar bill) and his record in the courts was worse than Portsmouth's record in the Premiership this year.

Speak to local businessmen who were bankrupted through Jobson's refusal to pay what he owed. Even his non-football life had some pretty dark chapters.

Not a nice man.

I entirely agree. My family's was also one of the local businesses that weren't paid for absolutely no good reason, plus I have other grievances in that an 85-year-old man and our neighbours we went to games with were banned for no reason other than because of the litigation that we had to take to get the money owed. However, trying to be objective about what VJ did to help the club, despite the low attendances (that no doubt he and his vice-chairman were largely to blame for), he still saved the club and we still balanced the books until his disastrous last couple of years at the helm. Forgetting the other things including questionable moral code, I'm just talking about what VJ did for the club and most of all for rescuing it from Anton Johnson which was no mean feat. And VJ was very passionate about the club - he had the club at heart, even if the way he went about things was not always the right way and alienated many people.

RM is popular because he says things that appeases most fans (eg some questionable populist statements in his blogs). But he is not the messiah that some people believe. A huge master of spin. Does he have substance too? Let's see. Like VJ, RM saved the club at first. But what of the state it's in now? I don't believe the club is in any better financial position now than when he took over - it now has big debts and few assets. His legacy will all depend on whether the club survives to reach the new stadium and from then on it flourishes and is capable of having sustained 2nd tier football as he's promised. I remain doubtful, because the club's losing an incredible amount of money right now despite not paying interest on its debt, despite not paying rent (which I'd expect it will have to do to the stadium operating company at the new stadium), despite having had a successful few years, despite a larger fan base than previously, and despite not having many players on our books. It doesn't look good at the moment, but I hope we look back in 3 years' time and can see that RM really did deliver and was more than just good at spin. My first hope is we survive the winding-up petition this month.

My point being is whilst Ron fannies around with FF and the taxman his football team are in trouble..Including the final 4 friendlies it reads..PLD19 W5 D5 L9 GF21 GA27 with the 5 wins being against Barnet 7th L2 Cheltenham 17th L2 Stockport 13th L1 Brighton 17th L1 and Orient 20th L1..Those stats suggest the team could easily be relegated and would there be any point of 22k FF in league 2?

My point being is whilst Ron fannies around with FF and the taxman his football team are in trouble..Including the final 4 friendlies it reads..PLD19 W5 D5 L9 GF21 GA27 with the 5 wins being against Barnet 7th L2 Cheltenham 17th L2 Stockport 13th L1 Brighton 17th L1 and Orient 20th L1..Those stats suggest the team could easily be relegated and would there be any point of 22k FF in league 2?

Why would anyone want to include friendlies in a club's playing record, unless to distort the picture to suit his argument.

Dave, I'm with you on this one. What started as a reasonable debate has now become petty and the points trying to be made are the same old boring stuff.

I take it you mean 'not' a billionaire instead of now?

Freudian slip ?

Why would anyone want to include friendlies in a club's playing record, unless to distort the picture to suit his argument.

Simples really

Last season before the arrival of Dorian and Robinson the team were sliding to oblivion,I included the 4 pre season games because it was against decent opponents.Look at the results the majority of the current squad achieved over the last year(excluding Dorian and Robinson)and this season without Clarke...Makes grim reading would you not agree.

Simples really

Last season before the arrival of Dorian and Robinson the team were sliding to oblivion,I included the 4 pre season games because it was against decent opponents.Look at the results the majority of the current squad achieved over the last year(excluding Dorian and Robinson)and this season without Clarke...Makes grim reading would you not agree.

I've read a lot of negative posts from you, our Morecombe supporting friend, but what exactly is your point, and more importantly your way foreward for our club.

Hang on, are you telling me that no other Chairman would stick with a manager who avoided relegation to the conference, achieved back to back promotions to the Championship, made the play offs of L1, has made money on the transfer market, raised the profile of the club with victories over Man U, has almost doubled the average attendance in 5 years and is still able to put out a competitive L1 side despite the fact we don't have a great deal of money!

Ruthless business this football malarky!

Didnt Vic get rid of Webby after back to back promotions and being top of the Championship heading towards the Premiership ?? (Ok, i know Webby resigned but that was because Vic failed to back him in strengthening the team so in effect he got rid of him !)

Simples really

It's nonsense to include pre season matches in any statistics other than as Mick suggested to distort the picture.

I've known pre seasons where we've won every game only to struggle against relegation, and others where we couldn't buy a win when we've gone on to get promotion.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back