• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Enter 'The Sainsbury's Stadium'....just please, no Orange seats :winking:

Orange away kit is ok though (FA Cup win v Canvey) is Sainsburys and Sleazyjet wanna share a sponsorship of ££millions

Ron, as per usual has no news but needs us, the cash splashing fans to stay "onside" or his dream investment will disappear faster than a tricky winger and a hot headed frenchie!!

Heard tonight that the news is re the stadium and that the builders have been confirmed and that work will start in November. Thus came from someone who knows one of the directors. I know we have heard this all before but we will see.

Im certainly one for getting my hopes up when it comes to the stadium, remember the echo non story of a month or so ago?

There do seem to be a few murmerings about good news, and what else could there really be?

Fingers crossed that some actual developments are going to be announced.

If we get told that they are now 98% ready I wont be happy

I was also told that the stadium will be funded totally by sainsburys, they are desperate to get building on roots hall and need us off site and in the new stadium before doing so.

I think that has been the plan for sometime, but they were only prepared to finance the 3 sided stadium.

If the announcement is the stadium is to be announced but it is 3 sided that will take the shine off of it completely.

Fingers crossed it wont come to that.

I think one non-statement has pulled the wool over plenty of eyes. Ron pulls it off again.

However, anyone who thought tonight was going to be our last game is deluded, if we were to die it would be slow and lingering.

There may well be good news coming, but the fact remains we are struggling to pay bills and wages. If the news is the stadium is to begin how does that increase the amount of money coming in ? On a positive note we have 3 home games which will at least bring money in.

My understanding is, for now, the embargo is still in place.

Dont put your head back in the sand for the time being.

I agree with much of what you have said and it is clear that our financial position has been precarious for a number of years. My comments related to the degree pessimism and despair that was being whipped up last week that, at times, even had me starting to doubt for our continuation.
Yes, in one statement, that, in itself didn't say much, Ron has settled some nerves. However, there are certain approximate time scales that are now appearing and by the end of this year (not that long away) we will be able to judge Mr Martin anew.....and again.
I would split this into two categories:-
1) THE SQUAD
Ron Martin has stated that 'when Luggy identifies targets' he will sanction the enlargement of the squad. I, for one
believe that PS has identified many targets but has not been able to bring them in.....but let's not go down that
avenue. Due to events, additions to the squad are now no longer a luxury but an urgent necessity. Our first
assessment of Ron Martin is going to be fairly immediate. The embargo has to be lifted and bodies need to be
brought in, hopefully before Saturday.

2) THE STADIUM
I think that nearly everyone agrees that, to give us a chance of a long term future, the stadium has to happen.
Over the last 24 hours news about that possibility has been more encouraging.......whether this is another false
dawn.......we shall shortly see. I am encouraged by talk of a November start and am keeping my fingers crossed.
The present situation certainly can't drag on for that much longer. Thus, I am prepared to wait another couple of
months to see something happen. If by the end of the year nothing has happened on the FF front, even I may be
tempted to join the catastrophy merchant, when they next crawl out of the woodwork.

If the rumours are true and the stadium is about to start that will no doubt mean money is flowing which will allow Ron to pay off those he needs to and hopefully bring us some stability.

Even then though you have to ask the question, when the money is all spent on the stadium will we be a viable business.If the stadium is 3 sided then we lose most of the income possibilities from the main stand.

It will be good news if the stadium is finally going to start, it may however mask issues that will arise again, but as long as it stabilises the club for now we can wait and see what happens. It may be once the stadium is completed everything will be different, no one really knows.

Im really hoping that there will be 4 sides though as 3 just sounds like a disaster.....

Maybe he's got a hotel partner to finance the 4th side. That was the original plan, once the 3 sided stadium was mooted...
Will he be personally interviewing for the cleaner positions at this hotel ? More to the point will he be involved in designing the maids outfits ?

If the rumours are true and the stadium is about to start that will no doubt mean money is flowing which will allow Ron to pay off those he needs to and hopefully bring us some stability.

Even then though you have to ask the question, when the money is all spent on the stadium will we be a viable business.If the stadium is 3 sided then we lose most of the income possibilities from the main stand.

It will be good news if the stadium is finally going to start, it may however mask issues that will arise again, but as long as it stabilises the club for now we can wait and see what happens. It may be once the stadium is completed everything will be different, no one really knows.

Im really hoping that there will be 4 sides though as 3 just sounds like a disaster.....
Why would Gary walk away just as this "good news" is about to break ? Makes no sense to me, however if I didn't want to be party to more spin and BS as it could affect my reputation I would walk away. Who knows :unsure:

Why would Gary walk away just as this "good news" is about to break ? Makes no sense to me, however if I didn't want to be party to more spin and BS as it could affect my reputation I would walk away. Who knows :unsure:

Indeed, it does seem strange he walked on the eve everything finally comes together, the talk of the time needed for the job still sounds like nonsense to me.

Falling for spin is one thing, but if the announcement is the stadium will be started then theres not a lot of spin that can be er spun regarding that.

Im hopeful this is it, we shall see.

Exactly. That reminds me, has Ronald actually got round to explaining to us just how the club benefits from any income earned in relation to the stadium/retail development or will we continue to be reliant on him giving us dosh out of the kindness of his heart?

The whole plan has been for a long time that Sainsburys will fund the three stands but won't fund the fourth as it is primarily a hotel with conferencing facilities and a few seats bolted on one side. The club will need to fund that in partnership with whoever takes the contract for the hotel.

The last tender document we saw had the fourth stand scheduled to open a few months after the first three. It's obviously possible that the gap will be far bigger than that but there's no way to know. But the idea of the main stand including those other facilities makes sense as a business model as can be seen at other clubs who have built similar things therefore it's not difficult to see it getting built sooner rather than later.

Basically, if it was any of the other stands which were going to be missing then the chances are that it would never get built but being the main stand there is a clear business reason for it to eventually get funded & constructed.

As soon as the first brick is laid at Fossetts Farm, Southend United (and Ron Martin) become much more attractive as investment opportunities which will go a long way to aiding our cashflow difficulties.

Personally, I won't believe any of it until I see it but one side, three sides or four it can't be overstated how significant to the Club's short-term future getting the new ground started is.

Surely RM coming out with this type of statement means there is at least some good news to tell? I know he's a compulsive liar but what would be the point in him coming out and saying all this if there wasn't at least one bit of news. I'd just be pleased to see us sign a player, confirming the embargo is gone. I'm intrigued by this statement personally.

The statement reads to me that we'll have a new CEO soon. Nothing more, nothing less.

Surely RM coming out with this type of statement means there is at least some good news to tell? I know he's a compulsive liar but what would be the point in him coming out and saying all this if there wasn't at least one bit of news. I'd just be pleased to see us sign a player, confirming the embargo is gone. I'm intrigued by this statement personally.

Signing players is short term, what we need is news regarding the stadium and the future.

Id happily sit under embargo the whole season if the news was we are starting on the stadium...

You'll notice that I was careful to say that the new stadium gives us a chance of a long term future. Let's cross those bridges when we come to them. What IS fairly clear ........no new stadium = no future at all.

Exactly. That reminds me, has Ronald actually got round to explaining to us just how the club benefits from any income earned in relation to the stadium/retail development or will we continue to be reliant on him giving us dosh out of the kindness of his heart?

This is where SUFC problems will really start. At the moment SUFC is bleeding Ron's companies dry - if the new stadium is built it will provide Ron Martin with an income (retail units etc) but IF the corporate side is set up as a new company as currently planned to generate non match-day income then I would bet SUFC will be in administration within a couple of months. The previous "debt" will be called in as a football debt and getting 5 pence in a pound is better than nothing, the use of conference facilities will still generate an income for Ron (or one of his companies), the new owners of the club would then have to start paying rent to Ron (or one of his companies) and he won't be responsible for bankrolling the club which won't actually benefit at all from moving into a shiny new stadium unless gates do significantly increase.

At the moment Ron doesn't have a way out of the club without financial ruin unless the new stadium is built.

Ironically the thing SUFC fans have waited for so long could actually be the start of an even worse nightmare.

This is where SUFC problems will really start. At the moment SUFC is bleeding Ron's companies dry - if the new stadium is built it will provide Ron Martin with an income (retail units etc) but IF the corporate side is set up as a new company as currently planned to generate non match-day income then I would bet SUFC will be in administration within a couple of months. The previous "debt" will be called in as a football debt and getting 5 pence in a pound is better than nothing, the use of conference facilities will still generate an income for Ron (or one of his companies), the new owners of the club would then have to start paying rent to Ron (or one of his companies) and he won't be responsible for bankrolling the club which won't actually benefit at all from moving into a shiny new stadium unless gates do significantly increase.

At the moment Ron doesn't have a way out of the club without financial ruin unless the new stadium is built.

Ironically the thing SUFC fans have waited for so long could actually be the start of an even worse nightmare.

Alternatively, it could be the start of great things.

See Coventry City as a prime example of this. Don't trust RM as far as I can see him.

Another thing to note, is that £7.6m is due to Southend Council before the ground can be operational. This is in the S106 agreement.

Back