• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Why is it when he gives an estimation of a date its then translated to be a promise and if he doesnt meet it then he has lied?

Theres a difference between failing to meet deadlines he thinks will happen and making guarantees they will.

If he has said there will be an update then one should be forthcoming, Ive lost track of what he said now though.

As far as I remember he said at the AGM (in response to questions about the stadium) that there would be an announcement in June. So far there hasn't been one. If I were the person who asked the question at the AGM I'd now feel that I had been fobbed off. If we as shareholders are told there'd be an announcement then he really ought to keep his word, even if it is to say that there has been a delay.

Its 7 years almost to the day that the original plans were given approval by the Secretary of State!

http://www.echo-news.co.uk/news/2372404.new_stadium_gets_go_ahead/

FF must be the longest 'new ground' development in the world, 15 years and still no nearer starting!!
Of course even longer if you take some of the pre-Ron Martin attempts into consideration.

Actually I'm not sure when RM first announced plans for a new ground it might not have been 15 years ago it might only be 13, can anyone remember?

Its 7 years almost to the day that the original plans were given approval by the Secretary of State!

FF must be the longest 'new ground' development in the world, 15 years and still no nearer starting!!
Of course even longer if you take some of the pre-Ron Martin attempts into consideration.

Actually I'm not sure when RM first announced plans for a new ground it might not have been 15 years ago it might only be 13, can anyone remember?

It was John Main that started it.

http://www.echo-news.co.uk/news/5508913.Soccer__Blues_to_lodge_stadium_plans/

The first new stadium plans were submitted by Vic Jobson in the 1980's

The first new stadium plans were submitted by Vic Jobson in the 1980's

Yes, but a lot of those plans from Vic Jobson was silly talk, like building the stadium in Basildon, and moving the club there. A lot of it was to get at the council, who he fell out with all the time.
So the real stuff started in 1999, with plans submitted in July 2000.

Yes, but a lot of those plans from Vic Jobson was silly talk, like building the stadium in Basildon, and moving the club there. A lot of it was to get at the council, who he fell out with all the time.

Jobo fell out with everyone. Didn't he ban Essex radio and the echo at one point?

He submitted planning permission for a stadium where Garons Park now stands. It was only when that fell through he started talking about Basildon.

As a club we've been looking to move since about 1985.

He submitted planning permission for a stadium where Garons Park now stands. It was only when that fell through he started talking about Basildon.

I can remember going on the -pitch after one last home game chanting 'We're never going to Basildon' and thinking it don't scan, what a stupid chant. Still did it though, had to be done.

I know, but if you read 'Up the Shrimpers' post, he's clearly talking about the Ron Martin era.

I know, but if you read 'Up the Shrimpers' post, he's clearly talking about the Ron Martin era.

How do you work that out? After we failed with Garons Park, Vic bought Boots and Laces from Access as a training ground, but also to get a new stadium by the back door (he told me that himself). Ron Martin just carried on where VJ left off, which is alluded to in that post above.

I remember driving around the industrial site in Basildon and seeing a sign showing the proposed site for Southend United's new ground. It was planned for festival way. I wish i had taken a photo at the time.

How do you work that out? After we failed with Garons Park, Vic bought Boots and Laces from Access as a training ground, but also to get a new stadium by the back door (he told me that himself). Ron Martin just carried on where VJ left off, which is alluded to in that post above.

How do I work what out?
Ron Martin carried on where John Main left off, but got it changed to Fossettes Farm.

John Main worked for RM. Either way I asked how you worked out that UTS was clearly talking about the RM era when pre RM was mentioned.

Because of this bit..........FF must be the longest 'new ground' development in the world, 15 years and still no nearer starting!!....UTS quote.

FF started with Ron Martin.

Anyway, why are you getting your knickers in a twist over nothing?

I can remember going on the -pitch after one last home game chanting 'We're never going to Basildon' and thinking it don't scan, what a stupid chant. Still did it though, had to be done.
Remember the Barclays Bank being painted with "The only one going to Basildon is Vic Jobson":smile:

Back