• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Pre-Match Thread Rotherham Utd vs Southend Utd

What's your starting 11 for Saturday and what do you think the result will be?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

RHB

I'm a Gnu, how do you do!⭐⭐
Staff member
Small

And now for the game that will really test our development and determination. We're a bit exhilarated after Saturday, but with Rotherham lying second in the table this won't be easy, although we got a very creditable 2-2 draw against them at Roots Hall in December last year.

Normal pre-match stuff, team predictions, playing formations insider knowledge and everything else that makes up the fun and frolics of the pre-match thread.

Not a bad time to play Rotherham. They are having a hiccup at the moment, beaten by Rochdale and held to a draw by the franchise team and Coventry. Their confidence must have taken a dent. On 22 February Oxford were nine points behind them, now they are only two points behind, and there are five other teams within three points of them so the pressure is building. By contrast we have very little pressure. Only three of our team which held them to a 2-2 draw in December played yesterday so Rotherham won't know what to expect. I believe that we will surprise them and come away with a draw.

Last edited:
Well I'm going to this one and I haven't seen us win since we beat Peterborough in one of CP's first games so I'm well overdue a win. I would expect it to be the same team as yesterday, maybe with the two new signings on the bench as Ron has until the 11th to pay the bill.

Well I'm going to this one and I haven't seen us win since we beat Peterborough in one of CP's first games so I'm well overdue a win. I would expect it to be the same team as yesterday, maybe with the two new signings on the bench as Ron has until the 11th to pay the bill.
That would be a bonus! I’d start with the same 11, Demi being swapped for Mantom wouldn’t surprise me, if Mantom is fit. Sol likes to surprise us with at least 1 switch per game.

Is a draw beyond us? That’d put us squarely on 20 points with a winnable home game after. Can’t make this one but looking forward to Bolton.

I’m going for a leftfield team selection, on basis that the 2 new fellas get registered this week, and Sol being a bit of a tinkerman:

Gunnarsson
Elvis—Vassell—Shaughnessy—Clifford
Demi—Osadebe
Egbri—Gard—Macca
Charlie K

...But, I think it’s more likely to be same team as versus BR but with Dieng (if for) in for MMN, at CB with Elvis at RB.

Having Mantom in the team would be terrible he is dog **** ....absolute dog of a man
Very harsh sorry,he plays in a southend shirt,im sure reading threads he tries his heart out for that shirt,so to say things like that is not right.I think you should take a good look in the mirror at yourself mate .

I believe the base of the side that did well against a poor BR needs to be retained, that means Shaugnessey, JD, Macca and Kelman.
Elvis and Clifford will keep starting places, as will Gard and Kineli.
By my reasoning that leaves aspot for Dieng or Vassell maybe in the back four.

There is by my reckoning two other maybe decisions which Sol will make as he, his assistants, fitness and opposition requires or are available.

I
Very harsh sorry,he plays in a southend shirt,im sure reading threads he tries his heart out for that shirt,so to say things like that is not right.I think you should take a good look in the mirror at yourself mate .
I don’t think it is harsh ... at all that’s my opinion, and I’m sticking with it. A dog of a man who doesn’t try at all.... I’m staring in the Mirror now Stewart ... what shall I look for ? All I see is an ex nightclub bouncer who’s now a senior property manager on Canary Wharf ..... wanna talk to me about trying and working hard ?land applying myself for a number of years ?? Believe me I’ve seen plenty of sherkers ( and loads of gurkers)

Last edited:
All the times I have seen Manton play I have come to the conclusion that he isn't at his best in a struggling team, not because he doesn't want to but can't. He isn't a strong enough player mentally to play that way but he does try, does that make him a dog **** ....absolute dog of a man? The biggest dog **** .... of a comment on here to date is more to the point.

If there are no injury issues then why change a thing?

Totally agree OBL. I imagine he’ll want to set up more defensively but it looked like a 4-1-4-1 so no need to change things. Only changes I would potentially make is Ted for Gunnarsson if signed (unlikely) and swap Elvis and MMN back round:

Gunnarsson/Ted
Elvis, Mitchell-Nelson, Shaughnessy, Clifford
Demetriou
Egbri, Gard, Kinali, Macca
Kelman

All the times I have seen Manton play I have come to the conclusion that he isn't at his best in a struggling team, not because he doesn't want to but can't. He isn't a strong enough player mentally to play that way but he does try, does that make him a dog **** ....absolute dog of a man? The biggest dog **** .... of a comment on here to date is more to the point.
thanks.... I stand by my comment you stand by yours

Sam Mantom in my opinion is a decent league 1 player nothing special but decent.
I get he can drift out of games, but he gives 100% unlike some of the players who have gone or disapered from the squad example Hyam, and a few others.
He has scored a few goals, plus assist's, and at the moment we need experienced players to help our very young team through the few games towards the end of the season.
I think he may start on Saturday. I personally would rest Egbri, and we need experience against a top of the table side
However its Southend United and some of our fans have to have a scapegoat.
But, Football is a game of opinion's, and you have to respect that.
Cant see those two Macc lad's being able to play. Give Charlie a bit of support, playing 4.3.2.1.

Gunnarson
Mitchell-Nelson. Elvis. Shauhnesssey. Clifford.
Demi. Mantom. Kinali.
Gard. Macca
Kelman

Back