• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Rugby World Cup 2019 Japan

Prior to the 2015 world cup Japan's record in the world cup was Won 1, Drawn 2, Lost 21.

Since the 2015 world cup their record is Won 6 Lost 1, isn't that a sign Japan have improved?

Japan have obviously, though despite beating SA they still finished 3rd in their group. Have or will the US/Canada/Samoa/Georgia/Romania improve? Will Italy ever be anything but the perrenial whipping boys in the 6 Nations?

It's ridiculous when you get such vast margins in scorelines.

So what you're saying is that Italy might be a half decent side in 2044. :Facepalm:

Yes, and the fact that it is so far in the future is no reason to exclude them now. Especially when you take into account that length of time for France included 2 world wars and being banned for a number of years for being professional.

There's no reason to assume Italy will take as long.

Here's the article I mentioned written by some who knows the game far better than I.

https://www.independent.co.uk/sport...eland-fixtures-tv-today-results-a8772326.html

Every single English Premiership team, and most in the Pro14, would have beaten the Italian national team on Saturday and that is simply not the way it should be in a competition which must strive for continual improvement or risk losing its relevance.

It is time for us all to face up to fact Italy are no longer worthy of a Six Nations spot.

Japan have obviously, though despite beating SA they still finished 3rd in their group. Have or will the US/Canada/Samoa/Georgia/Romania improve? Will Italy ever be anything but the perrenial whipping boys in the 6 Nations?

It's ridiculous when you get such vast margins in scorelines.

Stop moving the goalposts.

This is a thread about the World Cup - a competition in which Japan, a team who conceded 145 points to NZ in 1995, are about to qualify as quarter-finalists, building on beating SA last time round - not the 6 Nations.

This is a tremendous success story for World Rugby. As is Argentina, who finished third in 2007 World Cup.

As for the teams you mention:

US are a team on the rise. They beat Scotland last year and their 7s team finished second overall in the World Sevens series, reaching at least the semis in all ten tournaments.

Canada, unfortunately are going backwards at the moment. They've competed in every World Cup and had won matches in every competition except the last one.

Up until the last World Cup Samoa, who have competed in every competition World Cup since 1991 had won as many World Cup matches as they had lost.

Romania didn't qualify for this World Cup - the first they've missed - but previously had won a match in every World Cup except in 1995 and 2011.

Georgia are a team improving. They didn't qualify in 1995 or 1999. They qualified but didn't win a match in 2003. In 2007 and 2011 they won a match and in 2015 they won 2 matches. They've won one with one to play here.

All deserve their place in the World Cup and their presence enriches the tournament and helps grow the game.

I don't think I've moved anything. The progress of the minnows is painfully slow if at all. Does watching a team get hammered 64-0 help the sport? Most Russians probably have no idea that they have a national Rugby team, let alone that there is a World Cup on at all.

Expanding tournaments just burdens the players with more pointless games. It's the same as the FWC, increasing the tournament to 48 teams is just ludicrous. It's not about enriching the sport with teams that can't compete, it's about money.

I'll be interested to see in 2023/2027 if Japan actually get out of the group stages.

I'll be interested to see in 2023/2027 if Japan actually get out of the group stages.

It might be that Japan regress, but that doesn't mean they shouldn't be included. Even in football some countries do that. Look at Hungary now compared to maybe 30 years ago...

The issue is really that the elite in Rugby act exactly like that, the elite. Look at the tri-nations in the Southern Hemisphere. That is made up of New Zealand, Australia, South Africa, and now Argentina. It doesn't include Samoa, Tonga or Fiji. These countries rarely get to play the top nations, and until they do they will never progress at the rate you would like.

The same is true in Europe. Outside of a world cup when was the last time England played one of the lesser nations?

At least in football the qualifying rounds give these lesser countries a chance to test themselves against the best. Until Rugby opens itself up these countries will struggle to progress.

Personally I want as many countries involved as possible. Rugby (no sport) should be elitist.

Japan v Scotland. What a game. I won't mention the score in case anyone has recorded it. This World Cup has also brought the Japanese people out of their shell. I remember back in the day when their fans would sit there very polite and quiet. Apart from the typhoon, it's been a brilliant tournament.

Uruguay looked not a bad team and one for the future, ok against the Wales second X1 but good spirit
Japan will give Boks a game Saturday

Japan v Scotland. What a game. I won't mention the score in case anyone has recorded it. This World Cup has also brought the Japanese people out of their shell. I remember back in the day when their fans would sit there very polite and quiet. Apart from the typhoon, it's been a brilliant tournament.
I remember seeing an interview with a band, can't remember who it was but it's not important. Anyway they had seen all these videos of concerts in Japan and the crowds going crazy and couldn't wait to tour. They went and the crowd were polite and clapping the songs but that was it, which was a bit disappointing. Apparently they spoke to the promoter out there and he said if you you tell them you want them to go wild they will, so the next night they did just that and got the crowd they wanted.

I agree TBD, thought Aussie was broken by those two quick tries and unable to break through prior to that by a great English defence
Japan game tomorrow with be good to watch, can see the Nippon bandwagon rolling on

I agree TBD, thought Aussie was broken by those two quick tries and unable to break through prior to that by a great English defence
Japan game tomorrow with be good to watch, can see the Nippon bandwagon rolling on

That post aged well.......:Whistling:

Back