• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Running Thread

I went for a run yesterday. I did my usual 10km. It was the first time I've managed the full distance since a) a knee injury and b) the snow, so it was pretty slow. I was just pleased I managed the full distance.

On a slightly different subject, does anyone have a warm up routine? I followed this:

I didn't really feel any different!
No warm up routine for me. I totally lack the motivation for warm-ups and post-run stretches so I just treat the first half mile of any run as my warm-up, and I usually go for a decent walk with my dog straight after a run as my warm-down.

@londonblue, I don't do a warm up but I do a few drills, leg swings mainly to give mild stretches and start off real slowish, speed up and work slopes. If I remember to I will do some calf and ham stretches after run.
I usually take dog for 30 minute walk before any run so that does warm the joints I suppose.

@londonblue, I don't do a warm up but I do a few drills, leg swings mainly to give mild stretches and start off real slowish, speed up and work slopes. If I remember to I will do some calf and ham stretches after run.
I usually take dog for 30 minute walk before any run so that does warm the joints I suppose.

The problem for me is that my whole run is "real slowish"!

I walk for 5 mins as a warm up and do a few half hearted stretches afterwards.

I do stretch my calf muscles several times a day because I have suffered from achilles problems in the past.

I walk for 5 mins as a warm up and do a few half hearted stretches afterwards.

I do stretch my calf muscles several times a day because I have suffered from achilles problems in the past.

Having a physio for a wife has meant that I am always nagged to stretch properly afterwards. I asked her to design me a warm up routine, but she forgot, which is why I found the one on the internet.

No warm up routine for me. I totally lack the motivation for warm-ups and post-run stretches so I just treat the first half mile of any run as my warm-up, and I usually go for a decent walk with my dog straight after a run as my warm-down.
If I’m doing a slow run then no, but a fast run I usually run for half a mile to get the heart pumping then then some stretches over the next 10-15 minutes before I set off. If I’m running with my club (pre Covid) I would do stretches at the end of the run.

Took 3 minutes off my 5k time for the year. Still no where near my PB but I’m getting there

Took 3 minutes off my 5k time for the year. Still no where near my PB but I’m getting there

That's a lot of time to take out of a 5km run. Either you did really well, or you've been running really slowly lately!

:Winking:

Had a run yesterday morning and only managed just under 3 miles as I got caught up in a domestic robbery in the street at 6 in the morning, a man was pinching a motor scooter off his girlfriend and the woman was asking for help, I stopped and tried to help which may of been stupid but after words with this guy a called the police but not even sure if they turned up, guy could of had a knife looking back but I just didn’t think, only in harlow :Scared:

Had a run yesterday morning and only managed just under 3 miles as I got caught up in a domestic robbery in the street at 6 in the morning, a man was pinching a motor scooter off his girlfriend and the woman was asking for help, I stopped and tried to help which may of been stupid but after words with this guy a called the police but not even sure if they turned up, guy could of had a knife looking back but I just didn’t think, only in harlow :Scared:

Excuses excuses...

:Winking:

We could probably do a whole sub-thread on 'things that have interrupted you whilst running'. Recently I was stopped by 2 ladies who couldn't open the door of the chemists they worked in on Southchurch Road. Said they needed the help of a strong man. In the absence of such a man I had a go and snapped the key in the lock on my first attempt. I shrugged, handed them back the half a key and carried on running...

Did a 5k time trial yesterday also...about as expected but still nowhere near my PB...training this month with a view to try and shave a minute off by the end of March

Running across a camber like a beach is not good for you.
Agreed, I do sessions of approx 500 mtr intervals, 250 out and then return so camber is 50/50. The idea is to really work hard and fast, then slow jog or walk about until the heart rate drops back to okay, then repeat, 6 to 8 reps.
The soft sand above tide mark is a killer and the firmer as tide has gone out easier.

Back